QTS 4.3.6.0875 stuck on Restore/Initialize boot loop

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
jimmyjam105
New here

QTS 4.3.6.0875 stuck on Restore/Initialize boot loop

Post by jimmyjam105 »

"Hard Drive(s) with QNAP Signature Detected" message over an over at Local-IP-Range:8080

Every attempt to Restore Factory Settings fails. Device seemingly co-operates and reboots, then refreshes and instructs me to click on link to go to QTS Management page, but then loops right back to Restore/Initialize. I have already raised a ticket with the Help Desk, but have yet to hear back.

A little background... I have a TS-453Be series with (4) WD 8 TB shucked RED drives set-up in RAID5 with one Thick Volume of ~21 TBs. I also have 16 GB RAM (Crucial) installed and fully recognized by the system. I was initially able to apply this FW update successfully, then log back in to QTS. I then did a shutdown. After such, I also had just installed a new expansion card (QM2-2S-220A) with 2 SSD's (CT500MX500SSD4) that I was intending to setup in RAID1 as storage for VMs. I again was able to successfully login to QTS post this install, but had not yet setup these drives as a new storage pool. All seemed fine as these SSD's were recognized.

So I launched HD Station and signed into it (on an external display via HDMI output), I opened the Chrome app and began browsing. Then I received some sort of memory low error in QTS on my WINDOWS laptop, and QNAP apps/services began force closing. HD Station next wasn't responding so I attempted to restart it by pressing and holding the Copy button physically on the NAS. No response. So then I attempted a shutdown clicking on that option in HD Station, but again nothing. So I performed a physical shutdown by pressing and holding the power button. And now ever since, I'm stuck in the boot loop attempting and failing at Factory Reset's.

I have attempted many numerous combinations of a Hard Reset using the pin hole in the back (with drives in/out, short 3 second hold [beep heard], long 10 and 15 second hold [no beep heard], etc etc). All 4 drives show green lights indicating a healthy status, QFinder Pro recognizes my device each time after reboot, but it persists in informing me that my NAS must be re-initialized. But my device seemingly will not reset the supposed settings it should be. How I know this is because the device IP never changes. Thinking this was a problem, I switched ports on the back and it did at last assign a new IP. Port 1 was static'd and not resetting like it supposedly should have. So when I swapped to Port 2 (it was unoccupied and still set to DHCP) it did initially pull a new one, but now will not reset either like it is supposed to.

I clearly don't want to re-initialize these disks and lose my data. I'm assuming my data is now encrypted? Putty and WinSCP don't show me anything of value within "/share" folder or anywhere else for that matter. I'm suspecting once I can get back into QTS, I should be able to "Restore Default Shared Folders" in order to again see my data. But what have I done wrong to cause this, and what am I currently doing wrong or missing here in my efforts to Restore? :? :? :? :?

Any help would absolutely be appreciated! As it seems all current support documents/instructions provided by QNAP are lacking in what to do if attempts to Restore Factory Settings fails. Thank you!!!
jimmyjam105
New here

Re: QTS 4.3.6.0875 stuck on Restore/Initialize boot loop

Post by jimmyjam105 »

Sorry for the long winded detailed post above, just including as much info as I can and will obviously point the HD here...

But I suppose I could re-initialize the NAS strictly on the new SSD storage?
I could pull the 4-bays and begin fresh by Initializing via the SSDs which would then contain the new System Volume?
Then I'm not sure if it's as simple as just re-inserting the 4 drives and performing a "Restore Default Shared Folders" to re-enable my previous RAID5 storage pool?
Then I could just delete the old System volume from the HDDs?

Seems all too easy to possibly "just work" for me.. Perhaps someone can speak from experience doing this? But I may just hold off until QNAP HD support advises me... they may have some line commands that work the magic I'm looking for, or even tell me that I'm experiencing some kind of hardware failure post this FW update, that I'd simply be circumnavigating by doing this
JPcana
New here

Post by JPcana »

Hi,
Did you get a reply on this? Do you have a solution?
I just have the same problem and I also don't want to Initialize my drives.

I have a QNAP TVS-471. I don't know how the unit reinitialized.
But I couldn't access the NAS so I power cycled it (pressed the power button )
After it came back up, the name was different and I figured it reinitialized.
I turned it off again, removed my drives and turned it back on.
After it's on, I put back the drives. The QNAP manager detected that the drives have previously been used in a QNAP NAS.
I chose Restore Factory Settings
After it was done, I click "Go to NAS Management" it keeps going back to Hard Drive(s) with QNAP Signature Detected to Restore Factory Settings or Initialize the System.
It does this over and over again. It says Restore successful but it goes back Hard Dive with QNAP Signature Detected page.

I appreciate the help!

thanks,
JP
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

contact qnap via ticket
JPcana
New here

Post by JPcana »

Thank you
Gui_Busa
New here

Post by Gui_Busa »

Hi all

just to report both my Nas in the same condition after upgrading to 4.3.3.0998 Firmware

TS-419P and TS-419P+

I think Qnap need to step up and look at this issue
:-(
Regards
Paul
Quote "I feel the Need the need for Speed"
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

report this to qnap if you want them to take notice
Gui_Busa
New here

Post by Gui_Busa »

Hi,

Update:- restored to firmware version TS-419P_20190322-4.3.3.0868.img

issue resolved for now.

Regards
Paul
Quote "I feel the Need the need for Speed"
infinity_lies
First post

Post by infinity_lies »

Hi all,

Just letting people know that I have just experienced the same problem updating my TVS-873 to QTS 4.5.1.1540 build 20210107. It seems there are a few suggested solutions online, but I have put a ticket in with QNAP before trying anything as I don't want to risk losing any data. I will post QNAP's suggested solution back here once I get a response.

Regards,
Rob.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Users' Corner”