Error connecting: connected by other initiator, login rejected

iSCSI related applications
putt1ck
New here

Error connecting: connected by other initiator, login rejected

Post by putt1ck »

Hi

On a previously working target, we had an issue where the mounted volume went read-only, then when trying to after umount and iscsi logout, we get errors. The client reports

Code: Select all

iscsiadm: initiator reported error (24 - iSCSI login failed due to authorization failure)
and dmesg on the QNAP reports the target

is connected by other initiator, login rejected

No other connection is present. After a reboot and update, the web UI shows "Error" for the LUN (File based Thick) and there are errors referencing the target in iscsi_util.log:

Parse_File_Meta: cannot get the file status!
[03/13/19 10:41:03] CFG_Get_LUN_Info_By_Index: pid 16350 set /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.@iscsi.img/iSCSI-jhgiguygugufu_0-5b9b52cd:002 status to FAIL(-1)
Is the data (historic backup sets) recoverable? Is there a known cause or could it just happen to other volumes?
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Error connecting: connected by other initiator, login rejected

Post by storageman »

You sure just this host had/has the only connection?

Delete the target, create a new one and try again.
I doubt the data is lost.
putt1ck
New here

Post by putt1ck »

The QNAP has a number of volumes with different servers making use of different volumes. Only this particular backup was making use of this target, along with some other targets (volume per backup job). Is there no way to "backup the backup" before we go down the destructive route? The bit that makes me nervous is the error about accessing the file (along with the lack of info about the error in the UI, that the UI didn't show any error for the LUN before the update...), although I've only just started to get my head around how the QNAP is providing storage via iscsi.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Did you try suggested?
I'm assuming you know two or more hosts should never connect to the same LUN unless in a cluster(Hyper-V/ESXI).
Disconnect the LUNs before you do any firmware update. Qnap updates often break ISCSI connections.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”