AD Authentication stops working until reboot

Questions about using Windows AD service.
stefano.pederzani
Getting the hang of things

Re: AD Authentication stops working until reboot

Post by stefano.pederzani »

cotefr wrote:Unfortunately, saving the password as proposed doesn't work, because you can't connect even by entering to correct credential. The only solution is to reboot the NAS and everything starts working fine again.
This is worse than I thought. This does mean the Qnap is in some way "out" of the AD domain.
System Administrator & DBA since 1995
cpjones131
Starting out

Post by cpjones131 »

I stayed at 2012 because r2 does have an issue with the current version of SAMBA. I figured out the issue. You can't allow the drives to sleep. The delay causes the problem. Since I turned that off I have not had any complaints about access denied! {knocking on wood}
fkollmann
First post

Post by fkollmann »

Same issue here, very annoying. Restarting SMB resolves the issue (/etc/init.d/smb.sh restart). We do this every night automatically, but still happens from time to time. Requires fixing, ASAP.
cpjones131
Starting out

Post by cpjones131 »

It always seems to be the first person to log in. If you view that account on the QNAP --> Domain Users, I find that the description(their name in my case)" on the Username that is having the login issue is missing. All the other users will look fine. So it only seems to truly effect one or two users that login first. I prefer the QNAP as the backups are flawless and so much faster than anything else we use. Hopefully the Domain connection issue is resolved soon as I just has it happen this morning on a new box i just implemented in one of our offices. I have a task that maps a drive to the QNAP just before everyone comes in and places a text file on the server. This wakes up the box before they start logging in. This morning a User came in earlier then when the task runs so he got the denied access issue when trying to get to his drives. After 15 minutes the issue goes away.
StefanNissen
New here

Post by StefanNissen »

Oh I also have this problem. Only reboot the NAS helps(
RecoveryForce
Starting out

Post by RecoveryForce »

I, too, have been having issues with my TS431 dropping AD domain authentication...it seems to have come about within the last few updates. I have found that I don't have to reboot the system if I go through the process of rejoining the domain...though, it might be just as simple to manually restart smb, as per @fkollmann.

I created a support ticket last week and can see that it has been assigned to a someone a few days ago, yet they haven't even gone so far as to say that they are aware of the issue and are working on it. A little disappointing, to say the least.

If it is an issue with a newer version of Samba that isn't easily figured out, would it not make sense to provide an optional update which reverts samba back a couple versions to a point where it was stable?
TS-431 replaced with TS-453B
FW Version: 4.3.4.0569
Anguel
New here

Post by Anguel »

These minor "bugs" seem to be everywhere. I have not seen anything that just works so far... Useless for productive use.
guimchevalier
New here

Post by guimchevalier »

My TS-453Mini is NAS acting as domain controller.

I have the same problem for me since a few weeks. NAS reboot is helping.
Ni success so far with Qnap support, but it is not reproductible ...
guimchevalier
New here

Post by guimchevalier »

No more problems for me with 4.3.3, running now build 0188 :-)

i hope it is the same for you ...
cpjones131
Starting out

Post by cpjones131 »

The problem has seemed to have gotten much better. I still run a script that appends a text file every hour to all my production drives (16 of them) so I don't have an issue even with the old firmware. I also just telnet and reset SMB if need be if someone is connecting remotely off hours instead of rebooting. The issue we have remotely is DNS does not always update from the QNAP so if there is not a static entry in DNS remote users can connect. If I uncheck register DNS automatically and recheck it, I find it will register with DNS again and be good for a month.
RecoveryForce
Starting out

Post by RecoveryForce »

My QNAP is much more stable now that I've disabled the built-in Anti-Virus.
TS-431 replaced with TS-453B
FW Version: 4.3.4.0569
pirosganga
New here

Post by pirosganga »

kuste wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:38 pm Had the same problem as well. But only with TS-420. TS-412 worked like a charm.

Have a look at your system time. It seems, that the update overwrites the NTP-settings. My system time jumped up to 30 minutes into future and back. (The system log was not chronolical anymore, that is why I recognized it).
After enabling NTP-settings again and synching every hour the problem didn't occur anymore.
It is a know issue, that the AD authentication does not work, if the the time between client and server lacks too much.
Maybe it will help you.
Yes, incredible but that was the trick.
The system time on QNAP was 14 minutes sooner, and that was enough for not syncing users.
Thank you so much.
cactus
New here

Post by cactus »

If windows domain auth stops working, you could just make a trivial change in the microsoft networking section of the admin webpage and that will restart the services and get it working again. That's what does it for me.
scantec
New here

Post by scantec »

Same problem here. Seems a long time issue with qnap.. running wbinfo -g i.e. shows nothing after sometime. clock is sync, everything is ok, only solution is to reboot or restart smb and it starts working again

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”