Enabling remote support...

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
ellisina4
Starting out

Enabling remote support...

Post by ellisina4 »

Hello,
Hope my question will not be taken the wrong way but Qnap requested for me to enable remote support in order for them to look into a high CPU usage issue I was having with my qnap nas (latest patch that is not reflected in my signature was applied but it did not fix the issue).

In this day and age, I am hesitant to allow allow someone in Taiwan or even in CA (despite that person being Qnap employee) to access my qnap, one that stores all of my critical documents and files, at the time when I am not able to monitor what is being looked at.
Would I be out of line to deny the request but since I do want the problem looked at and request them to connect via teamviewer or whatever you guys may recommend.
I did provide qnap with screenshots and my logs on many occasions plus a few teamviewer sessions.

Thank you all for help and advice.
Two TS-451+
QTS Version 4.3.6.0805 Build 2018/12/28
Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Single Static Volume
NAS backup to WD 4TB External USB drive
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Enabling remote support...

Post by dolbyman »

you could ask for a VNC/teamviewer session if that makes you feel better, but depending on where you are,it could be in the middle of the night

not much else you can do (besides trust them)
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 am you could ask for a VNC/teamviewer session if that makes you feel better, but depending on where you are,it could be in the middle of the night

not much else you can do (besides trust them)
Dolbyman, thank you for reply. Since you have been around these forums for a while, would you enable the remote session knowing that critical files are on the NAS or is there a way to limit what Qnap person can access via remote session?
Two TS-451+
QTS Version 4.3.6.0805 Build 2018/12/28
Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Single Static Volume
NAS backup to WD 4TB External USB drive
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

never had any contact with qnap support so can't tell

but I would assume that remote login would give them full access

I have all my company backups and really sensitive data in veracrypt containers stored on the NAS
eight13atnight
Starting out

Post by eight13atnight »

I'm having the same concerns. Are they asking to access the nas directly or are they accessing via my desktop (so I'll have to type in the passwords for them, etc.)
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

But regardless of these security concerns you should have backups shouldn't you?
occamsrazor
Know my way around

Post by occamsrazor »

When I had a remote session they did it via teamviewer on my Mac, then opened up a terminal session to the NAS, so I could see what they were doing.
I should add what they were doing in the terminal was way above my head (!) but they clearly knew exactly what they were doing and successfully fixed my NAS problem.
I found them to be very professional. I understand the reservations, but I would certainly have no problem doing it again.
TS-451 [4 x 10TB WD Reds in Raid-5]
TS-239 Pro II [2 x 3TB in Raid-0]
pfSense router and Ubiquiti Unifi switches
Mac Minis, MacBook Pro, iPhones

Return to “NAS Management”