Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:54 am

Hi All,

Being a bit annoyed by the fact that Qnap sells plastic NASses meant to place next to your TV and Seagate IronWolf drives make a lot of noise, I am looking for a good solution.
The one and total silent solution is placing two Samsung QVO SSD's in my TS-253Be NAS.
Way to expensive but killing the noise very efficiently.

Qnap however, hasn't tested them yet.

Has anybody tried yhis oud already?

I have the possibility to return the noisy disks but my supplier cannot be taken responsible for incompatible drives...

dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by dolbyman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:33 am

how about placing the NAS somewhere else (where noise is not much of a concern)

Playback on the NAS is mediocre to bad at best, so an external player (completely noiseless options available) should be a good solution (and cheaper than SSD's)

uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:35 am

dolbyman wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:33 am
how about placing the NAS somewhere else (where noise is not much of a concern)

Playback on the NAS is mediocre to bad at best, so an external player (completely noiseless options available) should be a good solution (and cheaper than SSD's)
Hi Dolbyman,

For one NAS I found a solution in a separate room, however, A company that sells NASses made for multimedia should at least frown it's eyebrows with delivering such noisy devices. Specially when equipping this device with two HDMI interfaces for next to your TV :|
Shure, Qnap can't help manufacturers make noisy harddisks but with the new plastic enclosures, Qnap misses the sweet spot of silent NASses that CAN be integrated in someones living room, without the need of placing it in a dungeon.

What dazzles me too, is the fact that Qnap does not support the newer SAMSUNG 4TB ssd's NOR 5TB 2,5"HDD's. 1TB is the biggest they do, even with the ultra silent and ultra expensive HS-453DX
Looks like the will have a new new new NAS, specially designed for small SSD's or 2,5"HDD's, leaving all the customers in the dark with noisy NASses.

I don't know if i ever will pay premium price again for a too fancy NAS with a lot fizzle-sizzle thingies and such big shortcomings.

Qnap: go back to your roots: design a reliable simple NAS for 2,5"SSD's/HDD's with a lot of storage and no useless whistles and bells, Don't overdo the do!!

Open-E or similar on a small mini PC or Intel NUC will be my next move.

dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by dolbyman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 am

QNAP loves to throw new models with all sorts of bells and whistles around (multiple HDMI,Karaoke ports,integrated speakers,wifi hotspot cards,cloud features that get your NAS hacked,etc) but they abandon many of those features shortly thereafter

at the end of the DAY .. most of those work great for what they are .. NAS units, so if you treat them as NAS units you will be fine

regarding the 4 or 5TBTB SSD's .. what exactly does not work ?

atakacs
Know my way around
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:32 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by atakacs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:14 pm

I don't see why this would not work.

FWIW I am running a few QNAP with SSD in lieu of spinning disks with no particular issue - but nothing larger than 2Tb / disk

uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:16 am

dolbyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 am
QNAP loves to throw new models with all sorts of bells and whistles around (multiple HDMI,Karaoke ports,integrated speakers,wifi hotspot cards,cloud features that get your NAS hacked,etc) but they abandon many of those features shortly thereafter

at the end of the DAY .. most of those work great for what they are .. NAS units, so if you treat them as NAS units you will be fine

regarding the 4 or 5TBTB SSD's .. what exactly does not work ?
What doesn't work is the disks go to sleep and just do nothing. They keep on rattling (actve) and their sound is amplified bij the cheap plastic housing.

Instead of buying too expensive ssd's, I want to try out two seagate barracuda disks of 4 TB or 5TB in raid1

Howehttps://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=147644&p=710521#p710521ver, I don't know yet if Qnap supports this disks.

I will make a separate post with this question because this could be the solution: 2,5"disks are a lot more silent than their 3,5 brothers.

dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by dolbyman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:31 am

uutelst wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:16 am
dolbyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 am
regarding the 4 or 5TBTB SSD's .. what exactly does not work ?
What doesn't work is the disks go to sleep and just do nothing. They keep on rattling (actve) and their sound is amplified bij the cheap plastic housing.
You clearly said 4 SSD drives .. there is no rattling whatsoever on SSD's :'

And the 5TB 2.5 inch drives are clearly not NAS drives .. only use NAS rated HDD's in your NAS

uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:49 am

dolbyman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:31 am
uutelst wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:16 am
dolbyman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 am
regarding the 4 or 5TBTB SSD's .. what exactly does not work ?
What doesn't work is the disks go to sleep and just do nothing. They keep on rattling (actve) and their sound is amplified bij the cheap plastic housing.
You clearly said 4 SSD drives .. there is no rattling whatsoever on SSD's :'

And the 5TB 2.5 inch drives are clearly not NAS drives .. only use NAS rated HDD's in your NAS
You're right dolbyman, I just made two jumps at one move :wink:
I first wanted to buy 2 x 4TB QVO samsungs but these disks are not on the compatibilty list of Qnap and still expensive.
Therefor I considered buying two Seagate barracuda 5400rpm disks instead, with half the energy consumprion and rotating with 400 rpm less than the 5900 rpm 3,5"seagate iron wolf disks.

A third option is making a wooden box with foam at the inside and a nice plastic window in order to look at the LEDs of the NAS :roll:
It's the cheapest option, needs only an extra silent fan and solves all the problems.

uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:58 am

atakacs wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:14 pm
I don't see why this would not work.

FWIW I am running a few QNAP with SSD in lieu of spinning disks with no particular issue - but nothing larger than 2Tb / disk
The right answer should come from Qnap, adding these disks on the compatibility list. Still, € 525 times 2 for 4TB raid1 storage......

Better solution: a good disk management telling the disks to go to SLEEEEP (like in the commercial of "even apeldoorn bellen" : https://duckduckgo.com/?q=even+apeldoor ... AWXqEv5uGM ) Hope that the upload filter/ commercial controls /adult controls/ pay extra tax controls checkups won't delete this link :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by dolbyman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:00 am

just because a disk is not on the compatibility list, does not mean it is incompatible .. could just be untested

instead of a foam box , did you try a foam pad ? .. depending how resonance prone the surface is that your NAS is standing on, a simple isolation from that surface might help

uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:41 am

dolbyman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:00 am
just because a disk is not on the compatibility list, does not mean it is incompatible .. could just be untested

instead of a foam box , did you try a foam pad ? .. depending how resonance prone the surface is that your NAS is standing on, a simple isolation from that surface might help
Its not the vibrating of the unit on the shell where it is standing on, it's the internal rattle of the disks that is not only badly dampened but just amplified by the whole housing.
That Qnap dares to tell this puppy can be placed right next to your telly.... :evil:

dolbyman
Guru
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am
Location: Vancouver BC , Canada

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by dolbyman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:01 am

my 951x(plastic) has 5 wd red (4TB) in it (no ssds...yet)

I can hear the disks humming slightly on access..otherwise not much louder than my metal frame and caddy 419p+ (3xWD red 1xWD gold)


I have both units in a ventilated cabinet..just because I didnt want them anywhere where the noise could bother me

User avatar
Trexx
Experience counts
Posts: 4927
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:50 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by Trexx » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 am

Try using screws to secure the drives in the trays. Many times that solves most issues with noise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.1.x
QTier (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS QTier (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
(SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060, ACX 2.0(1 Fan), 6GB
UPS: CyberPower AVR1350 Ext. Backup: USB 3.0 Seagate 5TB
Media Boxes: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro, AppleTV 4k, Various Roku's

Model: TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.1.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

uutelst
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by uutelst » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 am

Trexx wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 am
Try using screws to secure the drives in the trays. Many times that solves most issues with noise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will shurely invest that but drilling holes in plastic trys...

A cabinet will be the one and only answer i think
A TS-253Be next to a TV? :lol: :lol: :lol:

atxnas
First post
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Re: Samsung QVO 4TB SSD's instead of noisy Seagate Iron Wolf HDD's

Post by atxnas » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Has anyone tried the 4TB SSDs? They still aren't on the compatibility list. I just ordered two for my TVS-951X so hoping I won't need to return them.

Post Reply

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”