iSCSI: Block and File based upon Thin provisioning, access from internet, multiple access from multiple computer...

iSCSI related applications
PIRATA!
Know my way around

iSCSI: Block and File based upon Thin provisioning, access from internet, multiple access from multiple computer...

Post by PIRATA! »

Hello there.
I'm new on the NAS world, and that is probably why I'm here.

I have just configured my TS-251+ bough a while ago and never used before, with two SEAGATE IronWolf ST4000VN008 4TB.
I've updated the nas firmware to latest, so ver. 4.3.6, and I think I've doe everything correctly.

I have created a RAID1 on Thin provisioning, and after this I was wondering how to access easily my nas space from my desktop Windows 10 at home that is right next to the nas, plus from my Windows 10 laptop and Android smartphone when I'm out for work.

I have read about the iSCSI, and was able to create this storage that looks just like a regular disk...and I really like it as it is easy to access it when I'm home, place where I move a lot of material back and forth from it, specially because I just have to use one interface like Explorer in where I can easily do all the ctrl-c/ctrl-x/ctrl-v/crtl-z on files.

For creating the iSCSI storage I followed this official guide so to create a Block-Based iSCSI as I was on Thin provisioning (as Block-Based is the only possibility on Thin provisioning -- rather than both Block and File based iSCSI possible on Thick instant allocation), and everything went well.

Then searching the web I found this other official guide where I've noticed that from QNAP Qfinder Pro it was possible to create as well iSCSI storage...but this File-Based was possible....and I really did it!!

Now I have a Block-Based iSCSI created from the regular nas interface, and a File-Based iSCSI created from Qfinder, both visible and working on my home desktop computer.....but was it impossible to create a File-Based iSCSI con Thin provisioning volumes????

Maybe I have my mind confused...and maybe because I'm noob. What is the real difference in having a Block or File based iSCSI?? I though of creating a Thin provisioning volume over RAID1 as I have read that this is better for optimization of the disk drive sectors and space usage... Have I did things right???

All this said, is it possible to access to the iSCSI storage from internet, so to access it from my laptop and smartphone while outside home??
What does it happen if two computers access to the iSCSI at the same time?? Could I see files moving around and disappearing/appearing as if I were on some Cloud storage where two people work on it at the same time??

Thank you.
QNAP TS-251+ with 2x Seagate IronWolf 4Tb (ST4000VN008)
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Re: iSCSI: Block and File based upon Thin provisioning, access from internet, multiple access from multiple computer...

Post by PIRATA! »

Just an update.

I have realized that the File-Based iSCSI storage has acquired the Snapshot schedule that I had set for the regular nas storage.
I realized because in the "iSCSI Storage" page I noticed that I have the snapshot icon next to the File based iscsi storage, while I have no icon next to the Block based iscsi storage created before.

It looks like that creating File-Based iSCSI storage from Qfinder, it grabbed the Snapshot rules from the regular storage, while the Block-Based iSCSI storage acts independently.

An explanation to this behavior as well would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: iSCSI: Block and File based upon Thin provisioning, access from internet, multiple access from multiple computer...

Post by storageman »

With the latest firmware you cannot snapshot file based LUNs, you can only snapshot the volume the LUN belongs to.
Block LUNs can continue to be snapshotted independently.
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

storageman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:56 pm With the latest firmware you cannot snapshot file based LUNs, you can only snapshot the volume the LUN belongs to.
Block LUNs can continue to be snapshotted independently.
So you mean that the Snapshot icon I see in the in the iSCSI > iSCSI Storage page next to the File-Based LUN is there only because it refers at the Thin LUN volume at which belongs, I imagine...

And regarding all the other facts?? Why I am able to create a File-Based iSCSI storage if I am on a Thin volume?!??
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Better not to use thin volume for LUNs due to need for space reclaim. This can cause issues for the host on deleted files.
Policy is here
https://www.qnap.com/solution/snapshots/en/

Snapshot DIRECTLY on file LUNs was removed, perhaps this was left from previous firmware.
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

Done all from scratch.
Now I have a thick volume with me as admin with no limits, plus a secondary use with a quota set to a minimum part of it.

Planning to make a full backup of the partition on my desktop where I store everything, so to manage to work on it from Windows, and then have a continuous sync active between the two.

Dunno if it's the best solution for me, but I'll give it a try.
Thnx!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”