Accessing iSCSI Storage content over the internet while traveling??

iSCSI related applications
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Accessing iSCSI Storage content over the internet while traveling??

Post by PIRATA! »

Is it possible to access at an iSCSI Storage content over internet while traveling using a laptop and smartphone in any way??

If yes, which are the available options for browsing its content, reading files, downloading and syncing files with it??

Thank you so much.
QNAP TS-251+ with 2x Seagate IronWolf 4Tb (ST4000VN008)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Accessing iSCSI Storage content over the internet while traveling??

Post by dolbyman »

access the computer that has runs the initiator(RDP/VNC or a shared drive via Windows //all via VPN), that should prevent catastrophic corruption

ISCSI is NOT a sharable resource. If you want that you should have gone for SMB/etc
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:23 am access the computer that has runs the initiator(RDP/VNC or a shared drive via Windows //all via VPN), that should prevent catastrophic corruption

ISCSI is NOT a sharable resource. If you want that you should have gone for SMB/etc
Well I need to access my iSCSI on my QNAP nas without the computer turned on.

As I'll be 80% of the time connected to the nas locally at home, the iSCSI usage is great, as it looks like just a regular hdd, with all its benefits!

What I need while traveling is accessing to a couple of folders where I have some docs, and sync all the file edits I do on my laptop and smartphone right to the nas at home, so to have at home always the latest version, and so never store final versions of files on my laptop and smartphone.

Another solution would be to access at the iSCSI storage content from the QNAP it self, so to access to its content from myQNAPcloud on laptop and Qfile on smartphone.

Is all this in any way possible??
Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can look into virtual disks to attach iscsi as share..
but make sure you disconnect it before you connect it to your computer again (data corruption)

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -qnap-nas/

dont expose your nas via myqnapcloud .. too many units getting hacked..use vpn
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

dolbyman wrote:you can look into virtual disks to attach iscsi as share..
but make sure you disconnect it before you connect it to your computer again (data corruption)

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -qnap-nas/

dont expose your nas via myqnapcloud .. too many units getting hacked..use vpn
Regarding connecting to my nas over the internet using myQNAPcloud, I was reading about using VPN instead....but how exactly??
I really can't understand if I have to simply open a VPN before connecting to myQNAPcloud unique web address, or if I shall use a complete other method of connection.
Can you point me any good tutorial to follow??

Regarding the Virtual Disks, I don't understand if it's something that will let me able to access the iSCSI storage from the nas internal file manager.
Will those virtual disks connected to my iSCSI storage give me the possibility to browse the iSCSI storage content from the ma interface??

If so, I'll be able to work on the iSCSI storage directly on my desktop computer when at home like some regular internal hdd, and access to its content through the nas while traveling (VPN or Qfile).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

there is vpn tutorials for qnap .. optionally (if supported) also for your router

best you read up on vpn and iscsi ... understand them before you use them
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You really just want to use SMB shares and not ISCSI.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

dolbyman wrote:there is vpn tutorials for qnap .. optionally (if supported) also for your router

best you read up on vpn and iscsi ... understand them before you use them
My router is from my ISP and can't do much with it.
I have door 8081 closed and I will have to figure if I can open it, but can access to myQNAPcloud and do everything, as I experience.

I have read about iscsi but can't understand it to the bone as I'm not that expert.
And for this I ask here.
Today I'll look at the virtual disks.

But what about the fact that you told me to disconnect before connecting computer?
Why? Haven't read of it anywhere..
Don wrote:You really just want to use SMB shares and not ISCSI.
Is it possible to do that with TS-251+ ??
Haven't even never heard about SMB...

Thank you all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

OMG, just stick with shares, why all this reverse ISCSI nonsense?
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

storageman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:27 pm OMG, just stick with shares, why all this reverse ISCSI nonsense?
Shares...what do you mean exactly??
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

Thank you, but I am able to do that, and I am looking to something extra.
I would like not to have a shared drive to my computer, with a look-a-like drive with "Recycle Bin" feature, and I have seen that iSCSI storage looks like that, so that what I delete from my desktop computer goes in the Recycle Bin of the desktop computer...and from the other side, if accessing using myQNAPcloud or smartphone, what I delete from there goes in the Recycle Bin of the shared folder of the nas.

iSCSI gives me the first part, but I am not able to access to iSCSI storage from the nas or create a shared folder at it, not even if creating a Virtual Disk with the iSCSI partition, even if the official tutorial says it is possible (https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -qnap-nas/).

Any clue??
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what did you format the iscsi partition as ?

exfat would probably need a driver (costs money .. and not sure if it would also work for virtual drives or only for external drives)
https://license2.qnap.com/ProductBrowse ... 92&pid=439
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:02 am what did you format the iscsi partition as ?

exfat would probably need a driver (costs money .. and not sure if it would also work for virtual drives or only for external drives)
https://license2.qnap.com/ProductBrowse ... 92&pid=439
Heh..I was thinking that my not-ability it creating shared folders upon the virtual drive was dependent to the forma type...but I tried at first NTFS and nothing...then EXT4 but nothing either...then EXT3 like in the pictures and still nothing....so I'm starting to think that maybe it is something that it has been removed in last firmware, like File-Based iSCSI over Thin provisioning, that I have read was once possible and nnow not any more....

Any clue??
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Deleted files on your PC are not RAID protected (I'm assuming), whereas the NAS, whether in the recycle bin or not, are.
I will leave you to your unusual strategy.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”