Antivirus too slow

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Wooks63
New here

Antivirus too slow

Post by Wooks63 »

I have a TS-453 Pro with 8Tb storage, of which 3.6Tb is actually used. I have set up scheduled Antivirus jobs to run each night. During the week, these are Quick Scans and on Sunday it's a Full Scan. However, the "quick" scans are taking around 26 hours to run, and the "full" scan just under 100 hours to run.

This is ridiculous as, effectively, my NAS is constantly scanning for viruses which must impact its performance.

Is there any way I can speed this up? Would be good if there was an option to only scan new and updated files since the last scan, but this doesn't appear to be possible.

At the moment, the only option I can see is to restrict each scan to certain folders.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Antivirus too slow

Post by dolbyman »

just have your clients scan the files ... they are the source anyways and the nas cannot be infected by the files anyways
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

I posted (as have others) agreeing w OP.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=146336
The speed and quality of ClamAV is marginal at best.

Qnap seems to be advising the use of their Malware Remover in the App Center to handle files that may end up on the NAS through other (then client PC's) means...
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Malware remover is for NAS system infection only .. not for "sharespace" files

Antivirus (filespace) and Malware remover (NAS system) are different things for different uses
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

I was supporting your advice that the sharespace is better protected by client-side AV.
The NAS OS files (recently infected via unexplained methods) are protected by Malware Remover (which takes seconds to run).
Both bases covered.

The built-in ClamAV is not of any use.
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108
Wooks63
New here

Post by Wooks63 »

Thanks for the replies. My NAS isn’t accessible over the cloud, so it’s only got files put on from our laptops and desktop. These are all protected with antivirus software, so think I’ll just stop the NAS virus checking and just keep the malware software running as this only takes a few minutes to run each day.
JGLondon
First post

Post by JGLondon »

I would be glad if my full scan only took 100 hours to run - mine has been running since midnight on 22nd November, 20 DAYS ago and is still only 82% completed! My TS251A has about 7Tb of its 8Tb currently filled with data.

Return to “Miscellaneous”