Cannot access Plex locally but can access it remotely...

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
Jeeper2016
Starting out

Cannot access Plex locally but can access it remotely...

Post by Jeeper2016 »

Hello all. What a unique problem. I have a TVS 1282 running the latest firmware. I recently took the advice of many others and shut my NAS down to the outside world (ie disabled all the needless port forwarding that exposed it to the outside world). I figure I can always VPN in if I need to get there remotely. Anyways I did leave port 32400 forwarded for Plex purposes. If I go to Plex.tv I can access my server no problem. However if I go to the NAS local (192.168.....) and try to access Plex through the icon it won't connect ("Safari can't open this page because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection....). I've started and stopped the service. Made sure I had the latest Plex QNAP firmware, and rebooted my NAS. All with no dice. Is there potentially a different internal port number to use for accessing Plex locally? Any guidance would be great guys, thanks.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Cannot access Plex locally but can access it remotely...

Post by Trexx »

Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

or http://qnap.ip.address:32400 is you do not have ssl enabled. they also recommend you use app.plex.tv for accessing it locally. sometimes the local app can be a few versions behind the live app and things don't work correctly.
Jeeper2016
Starting out

Post by Jeeper2016 »

For whatever reason. Using Chrome has fixed this issue.Thanks all for the tips.

Return to “Plex Media Server”