TS-251+ Help with PLEX please

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
sydney_simon
New here

TS-251+ Help with PLEX please

Post by sydney_simon »

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and a complete virgin regarding the use of NAS devices. I have purchased the 251+, got it up and running, loving the use of PLEX and being able to stream my stuff to my other TVs and iPads etc HOWEVER, I purchased this particular NAS because it had the direct HDMI output and wanted to be able to playback movies etc in my Movie Room which is where the QNAP is installed.

Last night for the first time of testing in the movie room, I had to install PLEX HOME THEATRE (Which I have now read / gathered) is no longer supported - I changed the audio settings to 7.1 and enabled settings such as Dolby Digital and DTS and now when I try and play a movie it plays in fast forward only and no sound (of course). Obviously I want to be able to playback my files in PLEX using surround sound at the correct speed! Is there anything that can be done here to sort out this issue? I find it strange being a new NSA that it still comes with the PLEX THEATRE if it is unsupported.

Any help would be appreciated as I love the way PLEX organises my media - I am NOT really super tech savvy so any straight talking step by step help if available would be great!

Cheers
Simon
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-251+ Help with PLEX please

Post by dolbyman »

use the updated Plex Media Player for playback

viewtopic.php?f=121&t=135441

I wouldn't store the noisy hummy blinky NAS the media room, but use a nice passive cooled capable player for plex.

Also the Celeron J1900 is not the best en/decoder chip for new codecs (in case you need transcoding) .. so that is another downside of that old hardware
sydney_simon
New here

Post by sydney_simon »

dolbyman wrote:use the updated Plex Media Player for playback

viewtopic.php?f=121&t=135441

I wouldn't store the noisy hummy blinky NAS the media room, but use a nice passive cooled capable player for plex.

Also the Celeron J1900 is not the best en/decoder chip for new codecs (in case you need transcoding) .. so that is another downside of that old hardware

Thanks Dolbyman, I will give that a go :-)
Brett240
Starting out

Post by Brett240 »

Hi guys,

thought i would use this thread rather than create a new one in case it simple. im trying to use plex on my TS251, however the version for HD station just shows a screen with a bunch of 'search'' options. i can get it to work from from my PC, just not in HD station using the TS251 HDMI output.

i tried downloading a newer plex qpkg file however i cant get that one to install into HD station, just stays in the main app location outside of HD station even when i go in and do a manual install.

any help would be appreciated.
Brett240
Starting out

Post by Brett240 »

never mind.

combination of logging into the the latest qnap web client off the plex website and re-installing the HD app has seemed to work. no idea why

Return to “Plex Media Server”