Hybrid Backup sync to Backblaze b2 Wont Work

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
skocharian
Starting out

Hybrid Backup sync to Backblaze b2 Wont Work

Post by skocharian »

Hello,

I come here extremely frustrated. 6 months ago I set up an ** on backblaze and set up jobs to encrypt and back up the contents of my NAS to backblaze B2. I have two sync jobs targeted to two different folders. One is about 1 Tb of pictures consisting of tens of thousands of pictures and the other is about 1.5 or so TB of my files and computer backups, some of which are very large files, such as backup images.

Neither job ever completes. It always fails for one reason or another. For a while, the picture sync job was hanging for weeks and just stopping. I have been in contact with Qnap support for 4 months now going back and forth trying to fix the issue. At one point they admitted they had a bug in hybrid backup sync and set up an out of band upgrade to some version they set up to fix my bug. Well that didnt work either and my jobs always fail.

Here is the errors I'm getting:

Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Error 2019/04/23 16:02:42 admin 127.0.0.1 Hybrid Backup Sync Job Status [Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "Multimedia Backup". Check the file and try again. Error: UnboundLocalError.

Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Error 2019/04/24 06:13:41 admin 127.0.0.1 Hybrid Backup Sync Job Status [Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "xxxxxx" Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts. Check network settings.

After 4 months of going back and forth with Qnap's terrible support and getting no where, they finally blamed Backblaze saying the issue is on backblaze's side and the connection was being dropped by backblaze. I find that to be unlikely as they are an enterprise grade service.

I'm so frustrated that after 6 months of paying backblaze for partially completed uploads, and 4 months of going back and forth with qnap's support. I just gave up and told them to close the ticket. Their support is truly lacking.

Am i an edge case here? Is no one uploading jobs with lots of small files or a some very large files (400 gb)? I'm just an end user here. I can't imagine there's enterprises using qnap and having these types of issues that would find it acceptable.

Any help would be appreciated.
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Re: Hybrid Backup sync to Backblaze b2 Wont Work

Post by jasonwoerner »

Just wanted to chime in here. I've been using the Hybrid Backup Sync app on QNAP for a few years now and the only consistent problem I've had is the chronic job failures due to network access. The event log says:
"Filed to complete Sync job. Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts. Check network settings."
One can start the job after this failure and it runs fine for a while. I haven't been able to perceive a consistent frequency to the failures. But these are jobs trying to send TBs of data to, in this instance, Backblaze's B2 service, that take weeks to run. But I haven't found any documentation from Backblaze or QNAP about any time limits on a job.

Final note: it's possible this is a problem on my side. For example, I've got Comcast Internet service that is disrupted every so often. I believe this is the case with most ISP's, whether they're patching our modem or just ** for a minute. This would be enough to disrupt a cloud sync job. I just think the QNAP app should handle that better.

I'm going to look for some logs to try to get nitty gritty details on the failure beyond the message I quoted above.
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

I've found some relevant sections in the Hybrid Backup Sync logs.

I had a known point in time when the backup jobs failed with the network access setting I referenced in my above post. But every server (cloud-side) log I looked at just showed activity stopping at this time with no error messages indicated. Activity started up again when I started the job manually, hours later.

The client logs did show errors. At the time my job fails there are error messages indicating the connection is reset by the peer due to a number of exceptions. I'm going to send this data to QNAP.
StephanR
First post

Post by StephanR »

Please keep us informed!
I have the same Issues and in addition the following effect: when starting a sync job it starts and succeeds within seconds but has done nothing. Deleting the job and recreating it solves this but then your above issues appear.

I'm very disappointed paying backblaze transfer for not saved files in the cloud.

thanks for creating this thread!
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

QNAP took over a week to respond to my ticket and then just to say "please let us remote to you". I didn't pursue.
Admin529
New here

Post by Admin529 »

Well ladies, I will 44th it. But with reservations I have a log that on the surface points to Qnap however if you look closely you will see a drop command issued by the rr2 hardware every time just before can nne CV yion frops
DannersAU
New here

Post by DannersAU »

I am having the same issue. Worked when I originally set it all up, but now i'm greeted with a backup failure message each day.
mhaddy
New here

Post by mhaddy »

Experiencing the same connection issue:

"Filed to complete Sync job. Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts. Check network settings."

The first couple of runs were successful but now they all fail with the above error. I've gone back into the profile and verified that the access key and secret are valid (after you hit "OK", it tests the connection).

Any progress on this?
titanium86
First post

Post by titanium86 »

hi, I too have had the same problem for days, but with the synchronization on Google drive (G-Suite account). Last month, however, (with a classic google account) the synchronization was successful.

Error: "[Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "xxxxxxx" Failed to connect to cloud storage service after multiple attempts. Check network settings."
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

Just wanted to bump this up again. I recreated my sync job with a freshly updated HBS3 on QNAP and the job only lasted a few hours before failing with exceptions due to "connection reset by peer".
rwblank
New here

Post by rwblank »

Anyone determined any resolution here? On my Backblaze account, it will show some of the filenames but they all have zero size to them. I get the same failure message everyone above is reporting in HBS3.
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

I believe that my issues were two-fold:
- first, using QoS and throttling HBS3 can cause it to eventually timeout.
- second, changing the content of the synced data while it is being synced also seems to eventually cause the timeout, so I avoid doing this.
Rossome9
First post

Post by Rossome9 »

Bumping again -

Backing up to B2 and have encountered the same error message every day since starting the job. It runs anywhere for 3-6 hours before telling me it failed to connect to the network after multiple attempts.
jjmmpprr
Starting out

Post by jjmmpprr »

Same here. Any news on this?
zsoltika007
New here

Post by zsoltika007 »

And here we go again! Something wrong again with hbs3 with b2... My jobs sometimes pass, sometimes fails.. :?

Return to “Backup & Restore”