Do I have port forwarding problems?!?? Service Status: ERROR everywhere!!

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Do I have port forwarding problems?!?? Service Status: ERROR everywhere!!

Post by PIRATA! »

Hello there,
I have started to try to figure out about configuring a VPN for accessing my TS-251+ at home from my laptop and smartphone while traveling, and one of the first things that I have noticed not being like I imagine they should not be are the Status or the Services listed in my Auto Router Configuration page of the myQNAPcloud app: they are all marked with Error

I have enabled every service ONLY for testing the ports. I think I'll use quite less those services, but I need to first understand if everything works good, so here that I enabled everything:

I have UPnP enabled and as you can see and my router supports UPnP, and from my router side (in its port forwarding page) everything seams OK.
I know that I should NOT use UPnP, but before disabling it and do port forwarding manually, I'd like to understand what is wrong here.

Regarding the myQNAPcloud access from outside, I can't access by mynas.myqnapcloud.com link but I can access successfully from https://www.myqnapcloud.com/u#/my_device link ...and I can't understand why all this!!
Is it supposed to be like that even with all these "Error" statuses?? What is happening??
I'd like to activate QVPN, but I don0t know if I can procede or first solve some issues.

Ps: I have made a test regarding my IP visibility from outside, and I have noticed that my WebRTC Public & Private IP Addresses are both visible:
Is this ok or I even have to fix this?? There is a Chrome extension that fixes that, but is it really necessary??

Thanks.
QNAP TS-251+ with 2x Seagate IronWolf 4Tb (ST4000VN008)
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Re: Do I have port forwarding problems?!?? Service Status: ERROR everywhere!!

Post by PIRATA! »

Any one??

Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

do a manual portforward then

active upnp is a bad idea anyways
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

Manual Forwarding...but I should do one for each port?

I'm getting an error while trying to create a port-forwarding. Any helpful guides in how to do a proper job, would be really appreciated! :)

Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what error is your router throwing when you try?
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

Ok, the fact is that I can't create a manual port forwarding even disabling UPnP on the nas!! Maybe because they still appear in the router's port-forwarding list??

Plus to this, in Web Connectivity I still have the red X as I have the 8081 port closed.

And now that I have disabled UPnP in the nas, I still only see in Web Connectivity ONLY the port 8081 as closed...but shouldn't be that with UPnP disabled ALL Web Connectivity ports should be all closed?!??

Thanks.
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

Ok, had to reboot router as he was unable to kill the UPnP port forwarding created by the nas.

How I was able to create manually the port forwarding for web and QBelt, but I'm still having issues with the port 8081.

Regarding QVPN app, no way of connecting from either Android or Windows.

I'm really getting mad with configuring this has... Is there a fine guide for setting the Qbelt vpn, and then connect from Android and Windows with the standard file manager apps from the internet??

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

It looks like it is working now.
Had to reboot my router for fixing some issues.

Which are the must have opened ports for having the nas working correctly??

Thnx!

OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

PIRATA! wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 am Which are the must have opened ports for having the nas working correctly??
These are the service ports: https://www.qnap.com/en-au/how-to/faq/a ... -turbo-nas

You only expose them if you want these services accessible from the Internet.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

OneCD wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 am
PIRATA! wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 am Which are the must have opened ports for having the nas working correctly??
These are the service ports: https://www.qnap.com/en-au/how-to/faq/a ... -turbo-nas

Of course security wise using a VPN is always preferable to opening ports.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Agree. :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

OneCD wrote:

Thank you! Will definitely go to take a look!!
storageman wrote:
OneCD wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 am

Of course security wise using a VPN is always preferable to opening ports.
Well I have set QVPN with QBelt, and when accessing from outside my internal lan (so from a laptop over the internet or from my cellphone over the internet), I always turn it on....

But what you say is to not play with port openings, so to open EVERY port, and then connect only using VPN as it masks everything that is inside?

When I'll be not connected, my router would be exposed, as it will have all ports opened...no?

I always though that it is better to open the minimum ports needed so for me to connect from the internet when traveling..and each time I connect I should use a VPN.

But the open ports are still a threat for me for external attacks....right?? Is there a way to prevent them when I'm not connected??

Thanx.

OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

PIRATA! wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm But what you say is to not play with port openings, so to open EVERY port, and then connect only using VPN as it masks everything that is inside?
I'm worried you're about to open every port on your router. Don't do this.

If you're connecting to your LAN via QNAP's VPN, then you need only open the required VPN port(s) in your router and point them towards your NAS. Leave the rest closed.

PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

OneCD wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:41 pm
PIRATA! wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm But what you say is to not play with port openings, so to open EVERY port, and then connect only using VPN as it masks everything that is inside?
I'm worried you're about to open every port on your router. Don't do this.

If you're connecting to your LAN via QNAP's VPN, then you need only open the required VPN port(s) in your router and point them towards your NAS. Leave the rest closed.
No no..I don't have all ports open! I have disabled UPnP and opened them manually till I was able to connect my QVPN with Qbelt.
Now I can browse my nas connecting to it using my browser with its lan IP.
The ports that at the moment I have opened are:

UDP 443 (for QVPN)
TCP 443
TCP 80
TCP 8081
TCP 8080
UDP 8080

Should I open extra ports? I only use it as a backup or for accessing files from the internet using the browser or a sync app..

Ps: Is it necessary to open the UDP 8080? I opened port 8080 on both TCP and UDP only because I watched it in a video regarding QVPN...but is it really necessary?

Thankx!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You only need to forward the ports needed for QVPN. You have too many and the wrong ports forwarded.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”