Help me identify what's blocking my ports

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Sengaia
New here

Help me identify what's blocking my ports

Post by Sengaia »

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up a Qnap TS-431P2 as a remote backup server, but seem to have some strange issues with accessing it through its public IP. I get timed out every time I try to access it either through its IP or the myqnapcloud-link. I've tried both upnp, which says that it's able to open all the necessary ports (except SSH for some reason), and manually forwarding the relevant ports in my router. myQnapcloud > Overview > Network Connectivity gives me a 'failed'-symbol next to the Web Connectivity-status. OpenVPN also gets timed out.

CloudLink works great remotely however, and so does the iOS apps such as Qmanager.

I've even tried using two different routers, one Asus AC51U and one xiaomi with OpenWRT installed. Same result with both routers. Is it something with my ISP? Or what am I missing?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Help me identify what's blocking my ports

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

don't use upnp for starters... disable that :S it's a security risk.

port forward instead
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... d-service/

while you can opt to use myqnapcloud, personally i'd rather use a secure VPN setup if i required SECURE remote access 8)

one thing you can setup is the dynddns so that your qnap has a static ip address for starters. you can setup one in myqnapcloud. also you can go to security and setup a lets encrypt certificate.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Sengaia
New here

Post by Sengaia »

Thanks for your reply Moogle! I was actually planning on using both manual port forwarding and VPN to connect remotely. I'm just kinda trying everything here to troubleshoot the issue. Because I have a feeling that the reason the VPN isn't working is the same reason that myqnapcloud isn't.

I tried setting up a static IP as you said. But I'm getting the following error message:
Failed to connect to your device using the above IP address. Please confirm your port settings in Auto router configuration.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

hm....a checklist of things i'd go through

- update router
- static ips for your devices e.g. qnap
- setup port forward on router https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... turbo-nas/
- setup dyndns on qnap (easiest is probably qnaps free dyndns)
- security setup lets encrypt cert
- is all your devices updated? qnap qts, and router?
- probably check your virtual network in qts that it is configured correctly
- reboot qnap, switch and router.
- in myqnapcloud dyndns click the refresh to see if it correctly updates your ip. also login to the myqnapcloud website and link your device and also refresh there so it grabs the latest ip.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Sengaia
New here

Post by Sengaia »

Okay after some tracerouting I realized there was some kind of double NAT going on. So I called my ISP and sure enough, they had to change our IP from a local to a public one, now everything works beautifully!:)
Not sure why they do that? Wonder if it’s common?

Anyway, huge thank you Moogle for your help!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Sengaia wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:17 pm Okay after some tracerouting I realized there was some kind of double NAT going on. So I called my ISP and sure enough, they had to change our IP from a local to a public one, now everything works beautifully!:)
Not sure why they do that? Wonder if it’s common?

Anyway, huge thank you Moogle for your help!
you're welcome :)

hm found this
Using a DDNS with Double NAT
If your ASUS router is double NATed behind your ISP's router, you may need to retrieve your external IP rather than using the one passed to it from the Custom DDNS settings. Find the line in your update script where the IP is used
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin ... ustom-DDNS
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”