QuMagie release

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
jgveill
Starting out

QuMagie release

Post by jgveill »

Hello,
QNAP started promoting it's new photo management software in January 2019 and we still don,t know what's going on with this release. Is there a planned release date ? I tried working with PhotoStation but there are big problems with face identification and finally it's not possible to use it. In previous posts (beginning of April), I asked what I was doing wrong and finally discovered that it was one of many bugs. I was told to wait for the soon coming QUmagie ... Still waiting ...

J Guy
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QuMagie release

Post by dolbyman »

best to ask QNAP via ticket .. we wouldn't know
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

qumagie is for qts 4.4.0 which is only available for some of the newer qnap models.

:( still waiting.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
jgveill
Starting out

Post by jgveill »

I do have a newer model !

J Guy
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

jgveill wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 am I do have a newer model !

J Guy
well the ones that have qts 4.4.x :)
https://www.qnap.com/en/releasenotes/in ... t_choose=7

if your qnap has 4.4.x great. i hear the rest of us got to wait for June.

go appcenter, under qts 4.4 see if qumagie listed, if not it's probably out also in June.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_center/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
KathrynEJ
Starting out

Post by KathrynEJ »

Announced today:
QNAP also released QuMagie – the AI-based photo organization application – which provides users with the ultimate photo management and sharing solution.
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2019/qnap- ... y-features
KathrynEJ
Starting out

Post by KathrynEJ »

Perhaps I am missing something but from what I can see so far QuMagie looks just like another way to view your photos in a collage type display, rather than a program to sort or organise them, which a lot of us were really hoping for. No way to sort by tag that I can find. Also, no way to view as anything but a thumbnail, so you can't do a bulk re-sort of image files etc.
Happy to be corrected if anyone else can see more to it? I am a bit disappointed if this is all it is.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

KathrynEJ wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm Perhaps I am missing something but from what I can see so far QuMagie looks just like another way to view your photos in a collage type display, rather than a program to sort or organise them, which a lot of us were really hoping for. No way to sort by tag that I can find. Also, no way to view as anything but a thumbnail, so you can't do a bulk re-sort of image files etc.
Happy to be corrected if anyone else can see more to it? I am a bit disappointed if this is all it is.
hm.... if this was anything like photostation of old, then the facial tagging should be able to create batches of similar images, which you then have to label yourself.

for me the types of images i handle is anime. so i'd have to label a character, then all of those characters get bundled under the same tag. any not auto detected, i'd have to manually assign. And presumably, future images that are similar to those in the tag folder, will also get tagged into that folder. the accuracy improves when you bundle the pics to the tagged folders. thats my understanding anyway.

then browsing those tag folders, you should supposedly be able to browse images and open in full sizes the original image (and not just thumbnails). or there would be no point to it (if it was just thumbnail previews).

i haven't tried it myself qumagie, so i'm just speculating it's functionality... or at least some of what i expect it to be able to do.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

KathrynEJ wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm Perhaps I am missing something but from what I can see so far QuMagie looks just like another way to view your photos in a collage type display, rather than a program to sort or organise them, which a lot of us were really hoping for. No way to sort by tag that I can find. Also, no way to view as anything but a thumbnail, so you can't do a bulk re-sort of image files etc.
verified what you said in my review here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=148720&p=716485#p716485

why can't view image original quality :S
NAS

Network

Resources
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Face Recognition crash constantly in the new Multimedia Console:

Multimedia Console: Failed to launch QuMagie Core. Reinstall it in App Center
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Theliel wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 pm Face Recognition crash constantly in the new Multimedia Console:

Multimedia Console: Failed to launch QuMagie Core. Reinstall it in App Center
i got that too during boot up. everytime i boot up in fact.

however when i checked in appcenter, the qumagie core seems to be enabled not disabled. so i didn't reckon i needed to do any further action.

but i'm not sure that qumagie is working right, because it doesn't successfully scan the totality of my items. example the facial recognition only detects for very few characters. which is far less than facial tagging in the PRE qts 4.4.1 app.
NAS

Network

Resources
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Edit:

After QuMagie reinstall, reboot and rebuilding all my thumbnail, seem to work fine now. Well, work "fine", IA recognizing same Faces is a joke, I have hundred of detected faces being the same peoples. You can easily merge them in the same pple, but with thousands photos will take months to arrange all of them
iam@nas
Easy as a breeze

Post by iam@nas »

As long as QuMagie detects all faces one should be happy. I have the feeling that only 20% of the faces are detected. These 20% should be easy to merge knowing that 80% may need manual tagging ...
KathrynEJ
Starting out

Post by KathrynEJ »

Same here. It took forever to finish facial detection then only a small fraction of my photos included facial tags. Plus there were some really obvious duplicates that I had to merge. Photos in Windows 10 seems to operate a similar system since I ran this yesterday and got similar results. However using the batch facial tagging feature in the old Windows Photo Gallery (WPG) is a dream: finds all the right faces, and matches them correctly. I had scanned in old school photos and every single face from the class was identified individually and the quality of the thumbnail was excellent so I was immediately able to see who it was and whether it was someone I wanted to tag (as opposed to QuMagie and Photos where I had to click in to each photo to see who it was.) I will be sticking with WPG until the others improve - currently they've got a long way to go...
jgveill
Starting out

Post by jgveill »

I checked the new QuMagie and Photo Station 6.0. My QTS messages may not be the exact english wording as I use French QTS ... Face detection works better for sure but ... as you can imagine, face detection does mistakes and wrongly identifies people. It should be easy to change a name but I didn't find a way to do it, I get errors and nothing can be done, even deleting the name. I officially reported the problem.

Here's what I tried : in PhotoStation 6.0, I went to People, Identified, clicked on the picture wrongly identified, right click, "delete face recognition results". I'm told that the selected pictures will be removed from this people album (that's exactly what I want !), I click Yes and then I get an error message : Failure, [-1] unable to remove face info.

I tried another way, double click the picture and tried to edit face name. I tried deleting the name by clicking on it. I got : Failure [1]. I tried to modify the name, I got the message : Failure, [-1] unable to remove face info.

So, previous version's problem is still there. I just hope that someone will care about that. Having auto face identification means getting errors, if we cannot fix the errors, better not have auto face identification. Is there a way to remove auto face identification ?

J Guy

Edit : I was thinking that only auto identified names could not be renamed. I tried to change a name that I previously entered and I got the same errors messages. So a name face cannot be changed.
Last edited by jgveill on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”