[review] QNAP QTS 4.4.1 by Moogle

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [review] QNAP QTS 4.4.1 by Moogle

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

I don't have a seagate ironwolf, so i cannot check this but i recall somewhere it was mentioned that it may be possible to update the hdd firmware via qts.
https://www.qnap.com/solution/ihm/en-us/

in qts 4.4.1 i was looking at settings but did not see this, so i assume this is only specific for seagate IHM? does anyone with a seagate ironwolf running qts 4.4.1 know?

*update

changelog
QTS 4.4.1.0949 Build 20190528 Public Beta
( 2019/05/28 )

Storage Management
- Updated IronWolf Health Management (IHM) to support new Seagate IronWolf and IronWolf Pro drive models.
- QTS can now check for firmware updates for connected expansion devices and then prompt you to update them each time you log in.
https://www.qnap.com/en/releasenotes/in ... t_choose=7
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

I got this sometime a bit after creating pool 2 (i selected the 4hdds). is this intended? i hadn't yet created the volume thick (selecting the 4hdds yet)

cross checking setup procedure is correct or not

@8:05/12:57

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfU"REMOVE BETWEEN QUOTES... forum censors...."ckUdXQuY

well it seems the same :) so i probably did it right.

i had to adjust the sync to max priority for the best speed. it was default was which was a bit slow. recommended to change that if you notice the sync speed is slow.

why in pool (which i also have to select raid type) and volume (select thick and also raid type), both times u select the same hdds. is it because any volumes created under pools, also must first be registered under the pool before you can proceed to make a volume for them? sorry not too familiar with this :S

all i could find on this subject was this
Storage Pool using LVM
You can use QNAP flexible volume management to better manage your storage capacity. The storage pool aggregates hard drives into a bigger storage space, and with the ability to support multiple RAID groups, the storage pool can offer more redundant protection and reduce risk of data crash.

Once a Storage Pool has been created, you can choose from three different methods to create your volume on top of the pool. The type of volume you want to create depends on whether you want flexibility or performance.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -practice/

when creating single volume static, no pool selection or creation is required.

*update

finished allocating space for volume2 :)

in my experience this 5% and amount of storage for reversed snapshots has served me well. I'm not expecting the snapshots to be perfect. It just snapshots the most recent changes as a safety net. I use this instead of the recycle bin since it's more space efficient. i only rely on the full backups on the other NAS if snapshots does not quite cut it for some reason.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

just going through a checklist of other various things i may do differently after the reinit.
My company is rebuilding our AD environment after some recent acquisitions, and this is a golden opportunity to standardize our policies and procedures. One of the suggestions we have received is to move away from mapped drives, and instead use shortcuts in the user's links in file explorer to serve the same purpose.

We are trying to weigh these options. We like the fact that that shortcuts reduce our attack surface in regards to ransomware, but mapped drives have been the standard for us for as long as we can remember.

So just looking for your thoughts and opinions, pros/cons, and a vote. Hopefully this can help people looking for a quick industry opinion on such things.
I do not see how ransomware risk could be mitigated by using links instead of mapped drives. The ransomware variant will check all network files where the user has access rights and these rights will not change when using mapped drives or shortcuts.
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... cuts-links
https://superuser.com/questions/393397/ ... in-windows

i'll stick to shortcuts, it's worked fine for me so far :) the apps i do point toward the qnap shares detect them fine. so i'm not requiring mapped network drive for my current use.

staying away from smb multi channel, looks a bit unstable. qnap multi gig addon kits combined with an appropriate multi gig switch are probably a better stable option
From what I gather, SMB Multichannel is enabled by default for windows server 2012 and windows 10. The only reason SAMBA keeps it as experimental is because there is a little bit of chance for data corruption if one of the two Ethernet cables come undone or you lose one of the ports during a transfer.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=94191&start=30#p689111
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

raid resync/rebuild completed. final storage spaces is as such

If there was anything i would change after trying this is probably instead of the pool1 for the system QTS, i would have used single static vol for it as Trexx suggested.

Pro
20% + extra performance compared to now

Con
No snapshot support

But right now i'm just testing how snapshots would work on limit 2x256gb raid1 m.2 SSD for now. If i find it not needed i'll just disable the snapshots for it. But reinit to setup everything again at this point will be a bit tedious. only if the next time i renit i'll do it as first recommended.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Now doing the recover using hybrid backup sync 3 (beta). probably shouldn't be using the hbs BETA for the restore. But i had previously already tested this as working fine, thats why i'm using it.

You can see my hbs 3 review here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=148663

A few tweaks i did during the restore.

- change the raid sync priority back to normal
- disable thumbnail generation from real time to manual. i'll do it separately at a later time when everything has been recovered first. i don't want this to slow down recovery speed

so anyway with these hdds in raid5 (hgst 4tb with a wd red nas) i'm achieving near cap download speed. this was the least i expected :) i'll do a performance test for internal at a later time.

i used data gained from an old backup job using the older HBS 2, then did a side by side comparison, not sure that the results are too significantly different. maybe only during a remote transmission (over the internet) would you see a major difference when using TCP BBR perhaps? :'

TCP BBR intro
BBR (Bottleneck Bandwidth and RTT) is a relatively new congestion control algorithm written by software engineers at Google. It is the latest solution out of Google’s persistent attempts to make the Internet faster via the TCP protocol – the workhorse of the Internet.

The primary aim of BBR is to boost network utilization and reduce queues (that result into slow network activity): it should be deployed on servers, but not in the network or the client side. In Linux, BBR is implemented in kernel version 4.9 or higher.
https://medium.com/google-cloud/tcp-bbr ... a5f1ccf437
https://www.cyberciti.biz/cloud-computi ... n-control/
https://blog.apnic.net/2017/05/09/bbr-n ... tcp-block/

in HBS 3 there is a tcp bbr option for backup and sync jobs when i selected remote server. But when creating recover job, there was no mention of TCP BBR.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i will do the scheduling as the last part of the setup process. best to avoid scheduling until after all the restore jobs has first been performed. also probably after indexing/thumbnail generation as well.

Since the reinitialization, i haven't had any issues. But maybe it's because i have yet to stress test it. i need to wait till i fully restored my data from backup, then run performance test, and at least wait a week to see whether the NAS instability is still there or not.

All that changed since the reinit was just excluding the hdd4, and replacing it with the new wd red 4tb.

Haven't had the chance to replace the ram yet.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Okay the first restore job completed using HBS 3 from ts-65a to the ts-877

seems it recovered without issues.

So yes with QTS 4.4.1 and using HBS 3 beta, the recover works fine :)

note: when you do snapshots and thumbnail generation, this files and folders will differ. i wish they added an option to exclude those system generated files from the item count. then it would be WAY easier to check that it is an exact match of files/folders. Instead we only got this method to rely on
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=126139&p=708666&hi ... ts#p708666
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Now restoring the other share from TS-509 Pro to TS-877.

the speed i'm getting is the fastest i've seen coming from this old model. Is this improvement and consistent speed thx to tcp BBR? :) i'm getting between 80-115 MB/s which is pretty good for this old model.

I got SSL disabled. Performance tanks a bit when having that enabled when transferring stuff from/to the ts-509 pro. newer models don't have this issue.

*update

completed fine

difference is 1 missing file/folder. I believe this to be the snapshot folder perhaps? :'
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

recovery done. so now doing indexing/thumbnails

uh... this is a bit buggy imho.

this is what i did
(prior to this i already setup the media locations for console management and qumagie)

1. manual index (because i wanted to do the restore first. didn't want it indexing at that time).
2. generate thumbnails. Qumagie also started on it's own to do it's thing. But at some point thumbnails got paused, while qumagie was still indexing for itself, so i just let it be.
3. when i see qumagie finished it's scan, i try to resume thumbnail generation but it wouldn't start. so i tried to remove thumbnails, but that doesn't seem to do anything (feels broken?). I then try index now, but it won't start. So instead i click regenerate thumbnails, but eventually it gets stuck and pauses. i check log it says it couldn't generate thumbnail for a certain jpg. but why is that?
4. so maybe its an indexing issue, so i select re-index and set priority to normal to get it done sooner. so now it's reindexing.

not sure why there is this weird issue, i don't have a particularly complex setup. and the media it's indexing is
- pics: jpgs, pngs, gif
- compression: zip/rar
- containers: mp4, mkv, avi
- video formats: h264, h265, hevc, dts,
- audio formats: flac, aac,mp3, vorbis, dts
- subs: ssa
- documents: doc, pdf, epub

pretty standard stuff, and they are all added to the right segments, videos, pictures, music in the console multimedia index category.

only thing that may be slightly different, is that in the video category, some of the indexed folders may contain rar/zip/notes and other various non video files. because they contain work folders for editing.

but thats about it :/

Anyway hopefully the indexing completes this time.... :(

The last time i pointed out issues with thumbnail generation to helpdesk, they merely said it's due to lack of system resources. but that doesn't seem to be the case (in resource monitor cpu barely goes beyond 8% and ram is not exceeded...)... it just feels buggy and not indexing properly. a bit unstable, at least for me. how about you guys?

*update

it paused....

so i change from manual to real time thumbnail generation (only now does it say COMPLETE). it is now running people and object recognition (this makes sense because i had initiated the reindex, so i have to do the qumagie recognition over again).

*update

after a reboot, and hours or so later, i check the qumagie ai engine, and also the thumbnail generation. both show completed. The last time i had issues, i had toggled realtime (i may have reindexed also again, not sure), and just let that finished running. Manual doesn't seem to work too well. Realtime if you leave it on long enuff, eventually it will complete.

so maybe the issue is with the manual indexing perhaps? cauz it says pause and it will never complete, and resuming doesn't do jack as it will cancel, when i tried it anyway.

Any ideas why thumbnail generation is so wonky? or is it perhaps i'm doing something wrong when using the multimedia console? or something i overlooked?
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Qumagie review part 2

Qumagie has 2 modes

- people (this is the facial recognition grouping of real life people, normally). I don't index real people pics, so you can use robs review as a reference (use google)

- Things (which are then specified further e.g. person, cartoons, hats, parrots.... *you get the idea)

So there is a difference between the 2. For example, let's compare things/person vs people.

for persons, it will show ALL the persons in one area. It doesn't group those unique individuals under the same grouping like people did. So instead, you have to tag persons by selecting them using a checklist and clicking on the edit tag.

whereas "people" are grouped up for you already (for unique people).

So my issue here is, that things/persons DOES not do this automation for grouping the persons into unique person folders. Instead you got to make them all by yourself (and even then... its only for tags. i don't think it will move them into the same smart folders for you)...... this a lot of pics for me to go through.... i was hoping that Qumagie would do this for me.

But because people is not fully detecting anime characters, i cannot use that instead. So i have to stick to using things/persons, but minus this unique persons automated grouping feature :S ..... see the problem?

I would suggest they have a option to perform the grouping, SIMILAR to that for "people" but for Categories under things as well. It's a toggle whether to do it that way or not.

and another issue i highlighted previously. In people, the detected images do not show a detection box cropping to indicate in the picture which person it is referencing for. I wish they re-added this face box highlighting so the user knows which face it is detecting this image for. Because some of the image results were false, so i had to re-tag them to a new character name. But i couldn't because there are 3 unique people in that single picture, and i don't know which of those 3 the qumagie is detecting for. In the old facial tagging, it would have that square face box to indicate clearly (which is missing in qumagie).

Basically they dumbed it down in that aspect :(
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

testing tagging in "things/persons"

step1, tag. check box click the images then add to existing or create new tag. this is for batch tagging.

after that, the tags can be seen and used here

(a) console management *these are just stats, you can't click and be brought to the grouping of images under those tags :S why not?

(b) photostation

(c) qumagie

So okay, we can tag the images for the person. But like i said before (for unique persons), it doesn't automate the groupings initially for you, like it did for "people" :(

So yes, qumagie has a lot they can/should improve on to be more user friendly. If you are going to automate grouping processes like in "people" awesome, but make sure it's easy and useful for the end user. Otherwise it will feel lack luster in getting the job done due to an incomplete app feature wise in terms of practicality of usage.

For me right now, people isn't detecting the anime characters i need it to do. And things/persons doesn't do unique persons grouping automation. Essentially i cannot use qumagie for my own purposes effectively.

I'm sure for other users that use it mostly for real people pictures, you will have far fewer issues than i do since it should be primarily designed for that case scenario in mind.

PS: are these tags hard coded or indexed to a database? if the later, is there a way to import/export to backup/restore them? because it would su-c-k having to re-tag all over again from scratch :shock:
*update

These are the settings in qumagie. But as you can see it says it won't save tags, so .... how do you do that? :' By the way, in the description it explicitly tells you that installed graphics card will help with the performance for qumagie recognition :wink:

Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Storage volume expand works. Example, when you create the storage volume, the default allocation is 50%. If you want to adjust it later, you would manage the volume and expand volume to allocate more usable storage. Confirmed that worked fine.

completed ssd & hdd performance test

just getting an idea for the hardware, also running the qnap through the paces to see if the system instability happens even after the renitialize. It hasn't yet.

snapshots tested working. scheduling set
https://www.qnap.com/solution/ransomware/en-us/

By the way do snapshots protect the root of the QNAP where the qts stuff are stored? :' does anyone know. because all i see in the snapshot manager is all the front end share locations. I assumed that if i enable snapshot protection on the QTS drive, it would protect the qts hidden files/folders as well... hm....

NAS is sufficiently setup at this point. Now testing reboot works (i don't want to be using the system then find out later there is a issue with rebooting. best to test early)

Okay rebooting worked fine. Now i just got to leave the NAS up and running 24/7 for a week to a month and see whether i still have issues with it or not. Right now it's stable and working fine.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

I had a weird issue that file explorer couldn't access the qnap (although it worked fine very recently)
*update

I'm now suspecting this could be related to the recent issue where the NAS random shut down. I wasn't paying too much attention so maybe i overlooked this. I'd have to check the logs. Occam's razor, the simplest answer tend to be the culprit. so file explorer became unavailable because the NAS random rebooted, seems like a more likely answer. And it resumed working after it rebooted. Although i don't recall hearing any beeps to indicate shutdown and booting up hm....

but qfinder detected the qnap.

then i checked the system logs and noticed that the virtual switch had some entries regarding a temporary issue for detecting the internet.

i did a few things to solve the issue

- in win10 ipconfig /flushdns
- disable then re-enable the ethernet switches
- in qts virtual switch, re-configure it and apply

i don't know which one of these helped, but file explorer works again.

the only recent changes on the pc side i did was update to the latest windows 10.

on qnap side, all i did was rebooted. i managed to stream a video for a while just fine, but then it didn't work, and i noticed that file explorer couldn't be accessed to the qnap.

thought i should mention anyway, in case others experience something similar.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

My new ram arrived. gonna install it.

okay installed it then using monitor+ keyboard + mouse, booted up and entered bios, browsed around.

It registered 16gb DDR4 @ 2666MHz

no messing around in bios required. seems to be auto. probably the xmp or whatever equivalent for amd is already enabled.

booting up all the way now, but i don't think there should be a problem :)

yep it works and registers fine

now i can run more apps and vms at the same time and not worry about mem swap all the time :D

first thing i did was install linux station now that i got ample ram :mrgreen:

nvidia graphics card passthrough vm works, but not sure to install here or not. it says it's already using a driver.
*update

don't mess with the graphics driver update. Just use the default that the qnap set it up with. because i updated from screenshot, the VM became inoperative :S

installed mpv video player, switch that to default for video playback, tested watching some x265. It works but there is a lot of tearing. I'm not too familiar with ubuntu, so maybe there is a setting to do to enable the nvidia graphics triple vsync ?

rdp to access the ubuntu vm works, and video is kinda watchable, but you'd still rather just plugin a monitor via HDMI to the installed graphics card for a better smoother experience.
*update

i forgot to set in settings for the graphics card VM mode.

And yes the NAS speakers work, but i'd rather just plug in some proper speakers.

anyway the new ubuntu on QTS 4.4.1 works fine. tested :)

gonna test virtual station win10 and give it 8gb ram
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ooo no.

the nas random shutdown on it's own. resulted in file system unclean for vol1, 2 and 3.

also raid started to resync (this didn't take too long).

i already replace hdd4 and the ram, so what is causing this issue?

could this be related?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=146157&p=702161&hi ... id#p702161

i removed the virtual switches and just using the defaults now, seeing if that does anything. also disabled unnecessary apps for now.

last resort, i'll probably resort to downgrading back to the latest stable 4.3.6 because if i'm not mistaken, these random reboots happened more frequent AFTER i upgraded to qts 4.4.1 :' hm

by the way this issue before and after renit, happened when ssd cache acceleration was not enabled. so i don't think it's the ssds gone bad.

running out of ideas x_x;

anyway after those file system checks finished, i shutdown. start up, no issues during startup.

gonna leave the system running and see if it does it again :(
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”