NAS as router - possible?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Don
Guru

Re: NAS as router - possible?

Post by Don »

Get a dedicated router w/firewall and other security features. Decent ones can be purchased for a few hundred $$.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
KennethS
Starting out

Post by KennethS »

Any suggestions on a decent router for a home network? I currently use a Netgear D6400 as ADSL modem and router (WiFi is disabled on the unit). I have a separate WiFi access point. I am looking to use the D6400 as a modem only and get a dedicated router.
Model: TS-453A -- RAM: 16G -- FW: QTS 4.3.6.0883 Build 20190316.
Drives: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Red HDDs -- RAID5: 4x3TB
UPS: APC BE700G-UK
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I am currently looking at the ASUS RT-AC88U to replace my Netgear R7500. The R7500 has a lot of hardware issues and their support stinks. Never again will I buy a Netgear product. It promised a lot out of the box but didn't live up to it's claims. So far I have been reading a lot of good thinks about the ASUS.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
KennethS
Starting out

Post by KennethS »

Thanks, Don. I have also had issues with Netgear support (or lack thereof) and they seem to just ignore hardware issues with my modem/router that many complain about on their support board. I'm done waiting for firmware fixes. The ADSL modem seems to work fine for my pitiful broadband connection, but I want a more robust and stable router. Will have a look at the ASUS.
Model: TS-453A -- RAM: 16G -- FW: QTS 4.3.6.0883 Build 20190316.
Drives: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Red HDDs -- RAID5: 4x3TB
UPS: APC BE700G-UK
Tryphon
Getting the hang of things

Post by Tryphon »

Hello,

Interesting post. Many years after QNAP creation, obsolete models are circulating without any QTS update. I have 3 QNAP NAS and one is obsolete : TS559 upgraded with 2GB RAM. My DLink DIR 655 is obsolete too and is the cause of many traffic interruptions (I often restart it). I think this situation is not yet debated here.

Is there any security issue if my TS559 is used ONLY as a router ?

Thank you.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

I have ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900, very happy with GUI and performance
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I am in love with the Synology RT2600ac and the RT1900ac.
If you are using remote RTRR, rsync, QVPN, OpenVPN, it's just a pleasure to work with. You plug your modem from the cable company
into the WAN port of the Synology router, and plug the 1G port of the QNAP into the one of the 4 network ports on the Synology.
You run MyQnapCloud, (of course, enable RTRR, rsync, QVPN or OpenVPN), and then simply click on APPLY TO ROUTER in MyQnapCloud.
When you open the Port Forwarding menu in the Synology router, you will see that all the work is already done for you, and you
instantly can start using all these services on the QNAP. This is the router that QNAP would have built, if they were to make a router.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Tryphon wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 pm Is there any security issue if my TS559 is used ONLY as a router ?

Thank you.
Besides that a single thread rating of 285 (10year+ old processor) would be a waste of energy (ARM or current Celeron have a much better power to performance ratio), you would NOT use the stock QNAP QTS system for the UTM/router function (as QTS is not a router OS) .. so QTS security issues wouldn't matter
schurl
New here

Post by schurl »

Model76 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 am Then I remembered that the QNAP actually has 2 network adapters, and that one way of getting a good router at a fair price is to use a small computer and one of those linux distributions made for just that purpose. So that got me thinking...
If you are able to install a fresh Linux (wouldn't use the qnap system software) or similar onto the device then why not? I have read a post where someone replaced the qnap software with freenas (https://huma.id/blog/qnap/). I am thinking about doing the same but haven't had the time yet to try it.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”