made a separate thread for this, from my other one which was originally a qts 4.4.1 review until i got hit by some random reboot issue.
the problem is one of a few things happens
- random reboot
- file system unclean
- raid synchronization
- raid rebuild
this happens between 1-3 days.... i can't keep the TS-877 up and running before i get hit by a random reboot
i listed some troubleshooting i've done so far here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=148720&start=75#p717753just a recap on troubleshoot
- the problem is one or more of these things occurring randomly and regularly ( system unclean check file system, random reboot, raid synchronization, raid rebuilding )
- this trouble started occurring sometime after updating to qts 4.4.1 but in hindsight, prior to this, i did have some unexplained random reboots, but not nearly as often as now, or that i was aware of since i wasn't looking too closely at the logs.
- ram is highly suspected. due to not running memtest86 long enough, we can toss those results and await the new test results running for 72 hours or more. (pending)
- in logs the only hdd that ever got called out was a hdd4 hgst deskstar nas 4tb. this has since been replaced with a wd red 4tb.
- all hdds have long smart test , scandisk, and zero fill formated
- NAS is running QTS 4.4.1 and has already reinitialized cleanly (i did not do a dom recovery since i don't believe i ever got a malware issue, so was unecessary). fyi i got qts 4.4.1 running on ts-653a and it is stable, so i don't believe this issue to be qts 4.4.1 related.
- also the QTS has been installed in 2x256gb samsung ssd raid1.
- the random shutdowns still happen even when qts is run from the ssd's instead of hdds (after the renit). which makes me think that the ssd and hdds are not to blame. and is something else.
- i tried replacing the ram with kingston hyperx fury 16gb, but these were 2 x single sticks. NOT DUAL KIT. and it still had the random reboot issue. Considering it's not dual kit, chances are this is a simple matter of incompatible ram..... I need a different ram i can trust to be fully compatible for ts-877 to switch to, to see if it fixes the random reboots. (pending)
- yes i reported this to helpdesk in detail since last week. so far they said they found nothing. i provided dump logs to them as requested, and prior to renit we had a remote session active. For now all the advise i got is to report when it happens and send them the dump logs. i understand they need the data to analyze. Hopefully there is some more definitive answers as to what to do. Cannot have the NAS unstable and constantly rebooting randomly. NAS is unusable like this. (pending)
- thought it virtual switches could be a possible cause, so i removed them. but i still got the random reboot.
other suspicions (not very sure on this..... but what else is there)
- PSU ?
- CPU ?
- raid controller ?
- ram contact points and slot needs cleaning?
troubles started sometime after upgrading to qts 4.4.1 though i'm unsure if this is related, could just be a coincidence.
the full details of this issue is also in the linked thread, it's a big read but there is a lot of info posted in detail as to this nas instability leading to random reboots (which causes issues for filesystem unclean and raid....)
I'll however point out that this issue persisted even after a reinitialize, and setting up the QTS to switch from 4x4tb HDD, to a 2x256gb SSD. So i doubt this is a hdd/ssd issue because QTS is installed on different drives but still happens.
Version 8.2 3/Jun/2019 pro queud 999 passes. so far 12 hours + no errors yet.