Connecting remotely to QNAP: a constant pain in the **

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
TimRideout
Know my way around

Connecting remotely to QNAP: a constant pain in the **

Post by TimRideout »

I have had my QNAP 669-TL for two years now. In general, I like it - when I am home. When I am away, or when I try to share links, the protocols seem HOPELESSLY complicated. Full disclosure: I am a power media user/creator, but when it comes to networking, I HATE all the hacking that has to happen to get this effing box to work.

For instance:

When I share a link, why do I need to send FOUR different links to a client? And NONE of them work! (Until recently, the mystical multiple forwards to this CLOUDLINK is now working)

If I want to access files on my server using FTP or WEBDAV - why the HELL is it so complicated to find what addresses should where and which port should be open and where the EFF do I find my external ip and WHY do I have to jump through so many hoops to get it to (still not) work?

If I want a link to access my server using MyQnapCloud, why doesn’t SERVERNAME.myqnapcloud.com work?? Isn’t this my HOST NAME? I have tried using my external ip (oh look! There it is, buried on the WEB SERVER sub menu...) and that doesn’t work from a browser.

In short, anything outside the Qnap mobile apps seems to be anything less than a pain to get to work.
The “manual” is cryptic and often outdated.
I find it frustrating to have to “hack” so many steps together to get it to (not) work.
I thought it would just WORK... when it comes to remote access, I find it doesn’t.

And yes, I am venting. Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Connecting remotely to QNAP: a constant pain in the **

Post by dolbyman »

there is plenty of other share scripts around ... owncloud .. nextcloud...etc ever tried any of those ?
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

I'm sure these are great. But I would like to get my expensive server to work instead. It's a shame that the documentation is cryptic and the (useable) customer service limited to (mostly) forums.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap has enough security issues as it is... be glad they didn't introduce a "solution" of their own (so far)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Do you have the proper ports forwarded on your router?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
zxmon21

Post by zxmon21 »

I agree with Don, I would look into router settings. I have set up the router to accept uPnP requests from the QNAP, and can access my server via servername.myqnapcloud.com.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”