Thunderbolt Windows NAS setup #noob

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
drewbiedoo42
Starting out

Thunderbolt Windows NAS setup #noob

Post by drewbiedoo42 »

Hi all,

For my first NAS endeavor, I've got my sparkly new TS-453BT3 up and running in a RAID10, but I am unsure as to whether it's connecting to my Windows 10 PC via Ethernet (through my switch) or Thunderbolt 3. All of the hardware seems to be working - I just want to make sure that I'm not shortchanging myself by running ethernet instead of TB3.

I followed these directions in setting up the drive for video editing: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... miere-pro/

RE: Attached image
The main surprise for me is that in Task Manager, a second Ethernet connection appeared named "Thunderbolt(TM) Networking". It's only a 1gbps switch, so the 1.5gbps transfer speeds seem to indicate it's Thunderbolt, yet the IP address...

What it really comes down to is that I don't know what I'm looking at. Or what it's supposed to look like. :DD

Any tips are most welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Thunderbolt Windows NAS setup #noob

Post by dolbyman »

IP is between NAS and PC thunderbolt .. has nothing to do with your network switch

see this
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=149421&p=720408#p720408
drewbiedoo42
Starting out

Post by drewbiedoo42 »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:55 am IP is between NAS and PC thunderbolt .. has nothing to do with your network switch
I was just referencing the switch in terms of it being a potential bottleneck. Since the speeds exceed the switch's capability, it seems that the data isn't moving through the switch, but the Thunderbolt connection.

I'm still wondering - is my connection through ethernet or thunderbolt - OR - how can I tell if it's one connection or the other?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

on that IP it is via thunderbolt (says so too on top right of the picture) .. the switch is not touched for that connection.. so it cannot become a bottleneck
drewbiedoo42
Starting out

Post by drewbiedoo42 »

Good to know! I wasn't expecting a TB connection to use an IP.
Thanks for the replies!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”