Qnap TVS-872xt randomly reboot issues

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rizou
New here

Qnap TVS-872xt randomly reboot issues

Post by rizou » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:59 am

Hi,

I brought 2 Qnap TVS-872xt in april for around £7,000 and 1 system randomly keeps rebooting for the last week or so,

each system has the following
3x HGST 12tb HUH721212ALE600
2x SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB for cache
using 10gb connection.
Current firmware version: 4.4.0.0979
im currenlty using 10.4tb of 21.8tb
it will randomly reboot(stating system was not shut down properly) as much as 10 times a day and state file pool is not clean, suggest go to file storage.. i have done this several times but issue persists.

i brought the system from SPAN.co.uk and they cut me off twice after getting though to the tech team :evil: hence the reason im here.

i dont know what the issues is, i have taken out the hard drive and started the system and runs for a while and reboots.

this has only started happening since the last firmware update.

cheers

eguitton
Starting out

Re: Qnap TVS-872xt randomly reboot issues

Post by eguitton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 am

are you confident that there is no power outage, even micro ? (is it on reliable UPS, or are there other devices on the same power source whose uptime can testify there were no downtime ?)
I understand this is not an answer, but, you know sometimes you need to double-check :)
Just a random Data & Network tech guy.

rizou
New here

Post by rizou » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 am

@eguitton thank you for the response

No power outage, I wouldnt require a UPS as im using UK mains and we rewired house with new cables last year. only other devices attached is the work station and monitor, i have also isolated the nas to another mains and issues presist

wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am

I would think that it is a bad connection somewhere in the NAS. I would raise a ticket direct with QNAP - I have found them always helpful. It might even be the PSU.

As for no UPS, I’ll see what others suggest, but personally I would always use a UPS on a NAS with raided drives . You say you are UK - so am I, and we get power outages perhaps 4-6 times per year. But I don’t think this is your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phiwi
First post

Post by phiwi » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi rizou,

I have had the exact same problem with my TVS-872XT on Firmware 4.4.0.0979 . I have downgraded the firmware to 4.4.0.0931 which you can find here: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/download?mod ... y=firmware - since then everything is running stable again.

Gyvate
First post

Post by Gyvate » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi guys
I have the "same"/similar issue with my TVS-873e - 4x RAID1 with 2 HDD each. 8 GB RAM. No power outages. Exchange of memory (RAM) and reinstallation of the OS did not bring any change. Sporadic shutdown/restart (after 2,3,5, sometimes even 8 days of uptime) - just a beep and the infamous system log entry "The system was not shut down properly last time". No log message before which might indicate anything else (e.g. temperature ...). I'm on QTS 4.3.6.0993. (zero-nine-nine-three; at least in my browser it shows dashes "-" instead of "number nine" :' ).The issue is ongoing since more than two months. It persists over a couple of firmware updates. It means of course all drives to get unlocked, file system checks running etc. 1/2 h to pass before the system can be used properly again.Opened a ticket with QNAP support and plan to hand in the box for repair on warranty as this looks like a hardware issue to me. As QTS is not very verbose in its system logging (as compared to windows event logging, unless there are some hidden switches/parameters one of you guys knows that can make the logging more talkative - in the professional world this sails under log level settings :) ) there's no other solution I can see.
Maybe some helpful ideas ...
Maybe some updates of the issues above. (rizou)
@phiwi: looks like you are using the 4.4.x beta - didn't want to do this to my productive data - therefore your solution doesn't appear helpful to me.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”