Qnap TVS-872xt randomly reboot issues

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rizou
New here

Qnap TVS-872xt randomly reboot issues

Post by rizou »

Hi,

I brought 2 Qnap TVS-872xt in april for around £7,000 and 1 system randomly keeps rebooting for the last week or so,

each system has the following
3x HGST 12tb HUH721212ALE600
2x SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB for cache
using 10gb connection.
Current firmware version: 4.4.0.0979
im currenlty using 10.4tb of 21.8tb
it will randomly reboot(stating system was not shut down properly) as much as 10 times a day and state file pool is not clean, suggest go to file storage.. i have done this several times but issue persists.

i brought the system from SPAN.co.uk and they cut me off twice after getting though to the tech team :evil: hence the reason im here.

i dont know what the issues is, i have taken out the hard drive and started the system and runs for a while and reboots.

this has only started happening since the last firmware update.

cheers
eguitton
Starting out

Re: Qnap TVS-872xt randomly reboot issues

Post by eguitton »

are you confident that there is no power outage, even micro ? (is it on reliable UPS, or are there other devices on the same power source whose uptime can testify there were no downtime ?)
I understand this is not an answer, but, you know sometimes you need to double-check :)
Just a random Data & Network tech guy.
rizou
New here

Post by rizou »

@eguitton thank you for the response

No power outage, I wouldnt require a UPS as im using UK mains and we rewired house with new cables last year. only other devices attached is the work station and monitor, i have also isolated the nas to another mains and issues presist
wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg »

I would think that it is a bad connection somewhere in the NAS. I would raise a ticket direct with QNAP - I have found them always helpful. It might even be the PSU.

As for no UPS, I’ll see what others suggest, but personally I would always use a UPS on a NAS with raided drives . You say you are UK - so am I, and we get power outages perhaps 4-6 times per year. But I don’t think this is your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro
phiwi
First post

Post by phiwi »

Hi rizou,

I have had the exact same problem with my TVS-872XT on Firmware 4.4.0.0979 . I have downgraded the firmware to 4.4.0.0931 which you can find here: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/download?mod ... y=firmware - since then everything is running stable again.
Gyvate
First post

Post by Gyvate »

Hi guys
I have the "same"/similar issue with my TVS-873e - 4x RAID1 with 2 HDD each. 8 GB RAM. No power outages. Exchange of memory (RAM) and reinstallation of the OS did not bring any change. Sporadic shutdown/restart (after 2,3,5, sometimes even 8 days of uptime) - just a beep and the infamous system log entry "The system was not shut down properly last time". No log message before which might indicate anything else (e.g. temperature ...). I'm on QTS 4.3.6.0993. (zero-nine-nine-three; at least in my browser it shows dashes "-" instead of "number nine" :' ).The issue is ongoing since more than two months. It persists over a couple of firmware updates. It means of course all drives to get unlocked, file system checks running etc. 1/2 h to pass before the system can be used properly again.Opened a ticket with QNAP support and plan to hand in the box for repair on warranty as this looks like a hardware issue to me. As QTS is not very verbose in its system logging (as compared to windows event logging, unless there are some hidden switches/parameters one of you guys knows that can make the logging more talkative - in the professional world this sails under log level settings :) ) there's no other solution I can see.
Maybe some helpful ideas ...
Maybe some updates of the issues above. (rizou)
@phiwi: looks like you are using the 4.4.x beta - didn't want to do this to my productive data - therefore your solution doesn't appear helpful to me.
rizou
New here

Post by rizou »

Hi,

I got a new replacement back from Qnap. The issue was a faulty motherboard.
qqqkyo
New here

Post by qqqkyo »

Hi everyone,

Just saw this post.

I have a TVS-872XT and it was working fine on the first year, one day after it shutdown by QTS manually, and it never power up again.
It was motherboard issue(reason still unknown) and QNAP did RMA it for a new motherboard on Feb this year.

However, once it came back and I upgraded it to latest firmware(as QNAP support told me to, the version was one of the 4.4.1 I am not really remember), the NAS working fine for around 10 days, it rebooted, I saw the message about it wasn't shutdown normally, and it told me to check the file system, when I did that, it rebooted again...
*It's like someone unplug the power cable(the NAS just off suddenly) and put the power back restart it.
*Once it happened, it just happening more and more frequently until it's not enough time to boot into QTS...

I was created a ticket and try to working with the QNAP support team but after 2 months, we did tried multiple versions of firmware(included the 4.4.2), did the ram test for days, sent them the system logs after the NAS rebooted itself, non of that help...
*I even ordered another power supply for test but unfortunately it wasn't the solution.
*To be honest the QNAP support guy is really nice and he keep trying to help but seems we both found nothing on this issue.

One thing I found was if the NAS powered off for hours, it will stay up for days(10 days is the longest time I got, sometime 2 or 3 days), but if the reboot issue happened and I didn't shut it down completely, it just keep happening more and more frequently until it's not enough time to boot into QTS...

I did watched on here and some people said the 4.3.6 may fixed the issue but the TVS-872XT launched with 4.4.0 so no way I could downgrade to 4.3.6.
Spent most of the time on 4.4.1.1216, 2 weeks on 4.4.1.1146, 3 days on 4.4.2.1270(can't remember the other versions).
I even did a full reset on the NAS and start rebuild it from scratch but still didn't help.

So far I am really feel hopeless on that since it's unusable, just share my case here and hopefully found something in future.
*The last RMA cost me USD$500 to shipped it from my place to QNAP Taiwan, even if they issue another RMA for me means it will cost me another 500... spending a grand to fixed the NAS which is ridiculous...

Thanks.
KYO
wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg »

Same position as last post. Had 872 for just over a year. 3rd QNAP. Initially had SSD cache (2x2tb r/w) but lost all when it started re-booting (if you lose the cache the main data is incomplete/corrupt). QNAP support a bit vague. No progress. The 872 just restarts for no apparent reason at random - sometimes after a day, sometimes after a month and everything in between. Everything has UPS but does it without UPS too. It wipes it out for 2 days due to having to re-sync RAID and check file system. Been a bad experience and frankly not good enough to run a service on. So - like previous poster- it’s a lemon - QNAP just said to RMA it through SPAN (supplier) but they aren’t interested. In any case, it’s intermittent, so they’ll run it up and say it was fine. Fairly sure it is a Mboard or connection issue because it failed once as I walked by. A lot of investment in QNAP but would not recommend them any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Mine is doing this too now. I would have to suspect firmware, but it's been doing it the last 3 releases now. :/
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
masterallen
Starting out

Post by masterallen »

I also have a TVS-872XT that has been randomly rebooting for the past year. It was a production server, since taken out when the random reboots started, and is now strictly a "data copy" server. The server will (when untouched by anything on the network) seem to run fine sometimes, and then randomly reboot at others, despite no other applications or virtual machines or containers running (let alone their apps).

Ram tests good, HDD's all test good, 2x m.2 SSD's tested good as well. I have some spare time during labor day weekend that I'm using to troubleshoot once again, and am going to try the new 5.0 beta to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Forgot to add, that I had already gone through 3 qnap tech supports and each time they said it was due to "incompatible hardware", despite the same hardware running fine in another QNAP unit.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Let us know how the testing went.

I've been running 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266) since October 2020 and never had any random reboots at all until the last 3 releases or so. On the last random reboot, it started back up fully, and then rebooted again within 10 minutes of getting all services up. WTH? So I put the original QNAP memory back in and haven't seen a single reboot at 7 days so far. I'm not really sure if it's my memory that went "bad", or crappy firmware releases at this point... It would take days and days to do a mem test so I haven't started that process yet.
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
zeker
Getting the hang of things

Post by zeker »

I started getting random reboots yesterday and again today. Running latest production fw. TVS-872XT more than a year old.

Seems like this is a particular model with this problem given all the postings. Seems like a universal fix, whether fw or hardware, is called for, but doesn't seem to be happening.
. . . . . .. . . . . Pete

TVS-872XT with 4 x 8TB in RAID 5, 2 x M.2 SSD 500GB as Vol 2 for media apps.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Firmware shetware. Crazy that QNAP can't even keep a system running on linux...
Last edited by Qmann on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
zeker
Getting the hang of things

Post by zeker »

My reboots started getting worse. I started the QNAP recommended troubleshooting (https://tinyurl.com/bp3fzbpv). Everything is a "check". I took out the SSDs. Rolled firmware back one and got reboots; back up to current FW, still reboots. I ran memtest for 4 passes/16 hours with no errors (I have two 8GB Kingston that came installed from QNAPDirect). I'm running fans manual at 75% (too loud at 100!) and temps are under 40C and 30C for CPU and system, respectively. It has now been up for 6 1/2 hours without a reboot. I didn't really change anything this round, other than R&R the harddrives. The SSDs I took out yesterday and had a reboot after.

So, if I do get more reboots, I'll open a ticket and can tell them I followed everthing they recommended and see where it goes from there.
. . . . . .. . . . . Pete

TVS-872XT with 4 x 8TB in RAID 5, 2 x M.2 SSD 500GB as Vol 2 for media apps.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”