[guide] budget m.2 ssd sata 2019

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [guide] budget m.2 ssd sata 2019

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

anyway seem's ill be getting the CRUCIAL MX500 SSD M.2 SATA 2280- 500GB since i can get it for a good price, very close to that of the wd blue 3d 500gb, unless somebody else thinks i should get the wd blue 3d instead? :' (roughly same price)

it has slightly lower endurance but they both are 5 year warranty, also the mx500 has an added bonus of features like hardware encryption (which is useful for a mobile NAS, because more chance of it getting physically lost), and has PARTIAL power loss protection that makes it sound like it could be more durable from errors occurring??? i don't have a ups, so i'll take whatever protection i can get (which is something the wd blue 3d does not even mention. Although they did released a newer NVME model that does have that feature). And performance wise, although both are acceptable, but based on the youtube real life performance demonstration moving 1,2,4,10gb files, it looked like the MX500 performed well, even when performance tanks due to running out of cache. the WD blue 3d claims not to have this issue, but when i see the youtube test, it clearly shows some issue. but based on the mx500 info, it rarely if ever goes below 200 MB/s consistently so i'm fine with that. but i saw the wd blue 3d was zig zagging alot below the 200 MB/s marker >_>:

the 860 evo is not even in my sights, not at those price points for my budget build. yes the endurance rating is great, if you want to pay for it. I do already have 850 evo m.2 sata ssds which i use on my ts-877, but they are unfortunately 256gb :( before i was using them as SSD cache acceleration, but later i switch to using them as QTS cachedev1 when i reinitialized. but having learned more since then, i'd next time stick to 500gb capacities for ssd, lesson learned.

i also checked with maxx and this what he said when i asked choosing between wd blue 3d vs crucial mx500 500gb roughly same price. I also asked about the SN500 while i was at it.
NewMaxx

MX500. It's a bit faster. The SN500 is DRAM-less but that's less critical for a NVMe drive and WD does very well with the SN500 due to design decisions. But it's still an entry-level NVMe drive.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ ... _ssd_sata/

NewMaxx

For storage/games, QLC is quite sufficient as are slower TLC drives (e.g. ADATA SU800, which uses especially dense TLC and tends to be the cheapest drive around at up to 2TB). Unless you're doing a lot of writes there, then you'd want to step up to a solid SATA TLC drive like the MX500/860 EVO, although I like the WD Blue 3D/SanDisk Ultra 3D for that;

these all come in the M.2 form factor generally at 1TB with a good $/GB. It can cost more at 2TB because most SATA M.2 drives are single-sided which means really packing in the NAND, driving up cost. (many NVMe drives are double-sided at higher capacities for this reason)
https://www.reddit.com/user/NewMaxx/com ... guide_wip/

The SU800 lacks support for AES 256-bit hardware encryption, but does support DevSLP (Device Sleep)
The ADATA Ultimate SU800 512GB drive was didn’t leave us impressed during out testing and it doesn’t have anything to make it stand out in a crowded SSD market. A quick look at Newegg and we found that there are over 115 different 2.5″ SSDs available with capacities ranging from 480GB to 512GB and the ADATA Ultimate SU800 isn’t listed yet. To become a standout drive you need to do really well at something and the SU800 fails to excite and that is before we even start to talk about the pricing.

Our testing showed that we were able to hit 564 MB/s read and 519MB/s in the sequential benchmark (ATTO) and 83,000 IOPS read and 82,100 IOPS write (Anvil) for 4K QD32 random performance. These numbers are close to the drives rated speeds of 560/520 MB/s for sequential and 85k IOPS for random read/write performance. Our sustained write testing showed that sequential writes bottomed out at 40 MB/s and averaged 80 MB/s after the SLC buffer was full and data was being written directly to the 3D TLC NAND Flash.
the ADATA SU800 512gb seems to be rated for 400TB (TBW) endurance fyi. but curiously it only has a 3 year warranty :S
https://www.legitreviews.com/adata-ulti ... iew_186296
https://www.overclockers.com/adata-ulti ... sd-review/

techdeals recommended the ADATA SU800 but only if you could get it for a cheaper price than the MX500 or wd blue 3d. but only if you don't mind the lesser performance.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:11 am, edited 12 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i saw this on discount if anyone interested

[M.2SSD] WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive $94.99
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ ... _sata_iii/

it was a bit out of my budget and i was perfectly okay with 500gb
WD blue Endurance (TBW)

250GB = 100

500GB = 200

1TB = 400

That said you can get decent TLC NVMes on sale for $100 pretty regularly nowadays, which won't have the QLC shortcomings and will be 100% better than this in every way, so....

The 660p isn't worth it at $95/TB, it really should be down $80-$85 (as should the SATA drives) to remain competitive against the strong downwards push by the SM2262/E12 drives.
Goose306

Check out /u/NewMaxx
's profile for SSD buying guide.

Currently, for TLC-based NVMe, the best value drives are those based on the Phison E12 controller, or the Silicon Motion SM2262 (or SM2262EN).

Examples of E12 drives often on this sub:

-Sabrent Rocket
-Inland Premium
-Silicon Power P34A80
-Corsair MP510

There are many others but they tend to be on sale less, which makes little sense given they are effectively the same device (or similar enough it doesn't matter). MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro, Seagate Barracuda/Firecuda, addlink S70, Gigabyte Aoreus (sp?) and plenty more - they are probably the most prolific currently.

Examples of SM2262 and SM2262EN drives (respectively) often on this sub:

-HP EX920 & HP EX950
-ADATA SX8200 & ADATA SX8200 Pro

The EN models are newer with some minor changes that leaned harder into where the original non-EN drives were good at the cost of some significant drawbacks where they weren't good. Overall for a normal consumer workload it doesn't matter much.

Generally between all these drives you should mostly base it on $/GB value, and other possible tangibles. For example, E12 drives tend to have tremendous TBW warranties for 5 years, but the Inland Premium is only 3. Note it's the same hardware as others so it should easily last 5, but should you have issues you might be out of luck. Additionally, the SM2262EN drives tend to choke really hard if they get close to capacity. Generally you should never fill an SSD anyways, but if that is a concern based on your use, choose a different option.

Between the two major controller types (to keep it simple I'll just call them E12 & SM) the E12 have better performance in workstation loads (heavy, hot, sustained loads) and the SM have better performance in consumer loads (light, quick processes). That said, NVMe were originally developed to expedite workstation tasks, normal consumer tasks (while synthetics will show higher) will often show little benefit on NVMe drives, simply because the bottleneck is elsewhere.

What this boils down to is for a normal consumer/gamer the SM drives are the best, if all prices and other value is the same. If the prices are different, get the cheaper one as the difference is so miniscule in the real world it doesn't matter as we're literally talking differences of maybe a half a second on game loading simply because they are already capped out on a basic consumer workload. If you plan on doing anything a bit more industrious like video editing and want to do a bit more traditional NVMe work, an E12 is a bit better, with the same note that the difference isn't huge (unless you choke out an SM2262EN drive, as mentioned above). If you are a real professional with a need for heavy duty loads and your PC makes you money and time is money, the Evo 970 Plus/Pro are the absolute best choice - however they make no sense for consumers or even most hobbyists based on expense value because they will perform the same or in some cases actually worse than those listed above.
Goose306

This is only $5 off what we have seen high-end NVMe drives go for, and the Inland Premium has technically been cheaper (in-store with RetailMeNot).

Unless you need to go SATA for compatibility issues, I'd say this isn't really the best value deal. NVMe makes more sense in this price range, considering it can be had on sale (for high-quality drives!) for within $5 for same storage amount.
Sabrent vs Major Brands
When you’re choosing a HHD, it can be important to be skeptical about the brand you go with. It’s often worth spending an extra $20 or $30 to get something from the bigger brands. When you’re choosing an SSD, it’s a good idea to make sure the brand is at least as respectable as Sabrent, but you don’t have to be quite as cautious because SSDs have comparatively low rates of failure. If you receive your drive and it turns on once, it’s extremely unlikely you’ll face further issues in the future.

Other Considerations
Although this isn’t an OEM part, it certainly does feel like it. When you open the package, you’ll find it only contains the drive itself. You don’t get any extra mounting equipment, screws, connection cables, or even stickers. Because this is a PCIe NVMe drive, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got a cable ready to connect with it.

It may also be worth noting that Sabrent makes a variety of hard drive enclosures that are suitable to a drive like the Rocket NVMe PCIe Internal SSD. Though few people will find it necessary to use an enclosure for their internal SSD, it’s always worth knowing the option is present.
https://nerdtechy.com/sabrent-rocket-nv ... ssd-review

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 First Look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJCZQG_oEw

Sabrent Puts up Rocket PCIe 4.0 SSD for Order: 1TB for $230
Sabrent might not be the biggest name in the SSD game, but the company is one of the first to put up a PCIe 4.0 SSD up for order. Sabrent's new Rocket PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs are now available on Amazon and ship within two to three days.
until drive's begin to hit at least 7000-7500 MB/sec reads, won't need to worry about PCI-e 5.0....
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sabre ... 39771.html

I could not find any performance reviews or the TBW for the Sabrent. But i think it has a 5 year warranty :'
NewMaxx

The Sabrent Rocket (warranty) was originally 1-year, 2-year with registration. It is now 5-year after registration. May or may not to do with certain people contacting them about the fact all their E12 competition had 5-year warranties. It is true that the Inland Premium (now that it's out) went with 3-year inexplicably, though. My main concern with it would be firmware support - the newer E12 firmware does help a bit (this is a common theme with Phison controllers). Not sure what software situation, if any, Inland has.
https://www.reddit.com/user/NewMaxx/com ... guide_wip/

//note: the M.2 NVME is merely for comparison purposes. Get whichever is supported by your devices. like for example mine is limited compatibility for M.2 SATA, with no option for M.2 NVME, so my choices is limited naturally. But if M.2 NVME was compatible i'd go for that especially if it's at a similar price point, makes more sense.

there's at least one example of someone using sabrent m.2 nvme ssd with QNAP NAS using QM2 addon card
Sabrent Rocket NVME 1TB TVS-673e Testing QM2
submitted by into_devoid

Tested on fresh install and confirmed working. ~243k IOPS and 3.17GB/s Sequential.

4kn mode not supported, but 512e works fine. No SSD life indicator.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... sting_qm2/

:'
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Toshiba and Western Digital lose in-production NAND after a power failure
On Friday, Western Digital disclosed that a factory operated by Toshiba Memory Corporation as part of the two companies’ joint production operations in Japan’s Yokkachi region had been affected by a power outage on June 15. According to to the storage manufacturer, the outage not only affected the facilities and tools used to make its flash storage, but six exabytes of Western Digital NAND that was in production was lost.
For most businesses, a brief power outage wouldn’t cause more than a momentary hiccup, or a longer-than-average coffee break. Western Digital and Toshiba, however, are dealing with a problem of vastly larger proportions, and NAND production at both companies will take a serious hit this quarter as a result.

The 13-minute power outage affected wafers that had been processed, the facilities, and the actual production equipment. Apparently, the result will result in overall production for the quarter being reduced by 6EB, or exabytes. (There are 1000TB in a petabyte, and 1000PB in an exabyte). Put simply, the loss of 6EB represents a great deal of dead or unproduced NAND. There’s some implication that the actual damage could be higher, with as much of 9EB of NAND going un-made.

If that seems like an astronomical amount of NAND to damage at once, well, it is. The factories have apparently been offline since the outage on June 15, and aren’t expected to spin back up until mid-July. This implies that the power failure wasn’t just a blip or one-time event — clearly, WD and Toshiba are doing major investigatory work to identify and isolate the cause, and the fab is mostly shut down because of it. 6EB represents roughly half of WD’s quarterly NAND production, which gives some idea just how bad the impact is. The Yokkaichi Operations facility where Toshiba and WD operate their joint fab produces ~35 percent of the world’s NAND. Fabs 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 were affected by the outage, which indicates it wasn’t confined to a single building or part of the overall facility.

A capacity failure this large could have an impact on the overall NAND market, which isn’t exactly doing well these days. According to Trendforce, however, the size of that impact will depend on which products you examine. 2D NAND production, which has faded to specialty storage applications, will likely be significantly impacted and could see prices rise. 3D NAND, however, is less likely to be impacted. Inventory of these parts is currently high and some contract prices have already been negotiated. TrendForce predicts that there’s at least some chance that this power disruption, combined with the other steps manufacturers have taken to reduce production, could reduce the slide in NAND prices. Currently, that slide is expected to last into Q4, though the decline may now be smaller.

If we haven’t mentioned it, this is a pretty good time to be in the market for an SSD. 1TB basic SSDs have fallen to $80 on Newegg. Even M.2 drives can be had for $100. 2TB SSDs are down to $189, and Intel M.2 drives with x4 connections can be had for ~$200.

Granted, that’s not much of a deal compared to hard drives, which remain significantly cheaper, but it wasn’t so many years ago that a 256GB SSD for $200 would’ve been a great deal, and we’re now at the point where 8x more storage for the same price is relatively common.

Don’t expect these NAND prices to stick around forever, but buying should be good through at least the end of the year, even with this recent shutdown. Unlike the hard drive market collapse back in 2011, when Thailand flooding shut down much of the industry, the market seems to be able to buffer this shutdown.
The last time a big ol’ chunk of NAND was lost due to a power outage, Samsung lost around 3.5% of the world’s flash memory production for the year back in March of 2018. My back-of-the-napkin math suggests that this would be around twice that percentage in Toshiba and Western Digital’s case. As a result of the loss, TrendForce expects 2D NAND prices to rise and 3D NAND prices to start leveling off. If you’ve been eyeing a shiny new SSD and haven’t already jumped on it, there might be no time like the present.
JanW1

This likely has nothing to do with technical reasons at all.

"Western Digital Corp. shares logged their best weekly gain in nearly seven years Friday as investors considered a power outage at one of the digital storage device maker's flash memory production facilities to be good news given the glut in memory chip inventories."

'Nuff said.
whyaname

Actually there is, you only need a few seconds of UPS service till the back up generators of such factories kick in.
You usually have several protection levels for this stuff.

For example it is not uncommon for such large facillities to have a complete discrete power plant or to be connected to more than one power plant/grid at a time in addition to UPS and generators.

Did you never wonder why industrial hardware has like 2-4 power connections, that is not just a redundant PSU, it enables you to have the hardware on just as many discrete UPS and powergrids to mitigate the likelyhood of failure.

I remember seeing the new some time ago that some flash manufacturers want to reduce their production because or prior over production and lots of flash still in stock at warehouses.

This is 13min failure that could have been prevented, but instead somehow causes 3months of issues.

This sounds like a way to avoid issues with markt price manipulation, but artificialy reducing the available amount of flash.

This should under no scenario have caused an issue similar to the flood back then in south east asia.

If the power goes out you do not suddenly start pumping polluted air into the clean rooms and making stuff unusuable for months.
as a skeptic, i would suspect something dodgy is going on here Image considering past examples

https://techreport.com/news/34662/toshi ... r-failure/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14596/to ... wer-outage
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/2 ... wer-outage
https://blocksandfiles.com/2019/06/28/p ... roduction/
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

the news just keeps getting worse and worse. if you need ram or ssd, probably get it now while the prices have fallen low compared to recent years. cause at the rate this is going :S ..

Supply of DRAM, NAND & Displays Could Be Disrupted by Japan & South Korea Dispute

South Korean companies produce 70% of the world’s DRAM, about a half of 3D NAND, and a significant share of OLED and LCD displays on the planet. Meanwhile, Japanese suppliers make 70% - 90% of three materials crucially required for manufacturing these components. As the two countries have a multi-decade-long dispute over compensation for World War II, Japan recently implemented new export rules that could disrupt supply of the important materials to South Korea, which in turn could hurt supply of DRAM, NAND, and various types of displays.

Japan-based JSR, Showa Denko (SDK), and Shin-Etsu Chemical control 70% - 90% of the global supply of polyimides (used both for LCDs and OLEDs), photoresists, and high-purity hydrogen fluoride (used to make chips, such as LSI, DRAM and NAND devices). Starting July 4, Japanese producers must get approval for individual exports of these chemicals to South Korea. Export reviews may take up to three months, whereas South Korean companies typically only keep one to two months' worth of materials in stock.

If South Korean companies cannot procure enough chemicals from their Japanese partners or their competitors in other countries, they will have to curb production, which will have a drastic effect on global supply of DRAM, 3D NAND, chips by Samsung Foundry, LCDs, and OLEDs.

According to Nikkei and Reuters, SK Hynix only has enough materials to keep production going in the short-term future, or for the next couple of months. Samsung is reportedly trying to deal with the situation, but nothing is clear at this point. Both South Korean giants have manufacturing plants in China, which could partially offset a potential disruption of supplies by domestic fabs. Meanwhile, LG Display and Samsung Display only make their products in South Korea and have to source fluorinated polyamide from Japan (despite the fact that LG controls LG Chem, the largest chemical company in South Korea).

The heart of the conflict itself lies with World War II, where as part of the Japanese occupation of Korea, Japan used forced South Korean labor at many of its factories, with the survivors demanding compensation. Late last year South Korean court ordered Japan’s Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal as well as Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to pay compensations to South Korean plaintiffs, verdicts criticized by Japan as ‘unthinkable’ because the issue was settled in 1965.

In addition to new export controls, Japan reportedly plans to exclude South Korea from the whitelist of 27 friendly countries. If this happens, export of all items that can be potentially used for military applications will require appropriate government approvals, which will further slowdown business between the two countries.

Components made in South Korea are then used by various companies across the world, including Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sony, and so on. As a result, if supply is indeed disrupted, Japanese companies will be hurt too.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14614/su ... ea-dispute

*update
Memory prices already up 15 percent in the last week

South Korea is home to the world’s two largest memory manufacturers Samsung (KRX:005930) and SK Hynix (KRX:000660). Together the two produce about 75 percent of the global DRAM supply and 40 percent of total NAND capacity.

Samsung and SK Hynix both rely heavily on Japan for some crucial chemicals which we detailed here. In short, South Korea imports 92 percent of its photoresists from Japan and a little less than half of the hydrogen fluoride is sourced there as well. Hydrogen fluoride, which is used in gas etching of wafers is toxic and difficult to stockpile and the photoresists quickly degrade over time which makes building up inventory impossible.

DRAM memory prices are up for the very first time this year and its no small price increase either, current levels up are up 15 percent over the last two weeks. Analysts are increasingly starting to issue warnings about potential price spikes for DRAM and NAND through the year since SK and Japan have been signaling that no agreement will be made anytime soon.

Mark Newman, Bernstein analyst, believes that since South Korea accounts for three-quarters of the world’s supply, prices are bound to shoot up like “never before seen”. The situation has grown bad enough that TSMC (NYSE:TSM), based in Taiwan, has warned that Japan’s export block is the company’s “biggest uncertainty heading into the remainder of 2H 2019.

Looking at the situation, DRAM and NAND will most likely be extremely vulnerable to price hikes in the coming months. South Korean chip-makers are probably going to have a fairly easy time when it comes to finding alternative sources of the gas etching chemicals, as there are major suppliers of hydrogen fluoride based out of China and Russia that can step in. Those chemicals might see, at worst, low double digit material cost increases which when baked into the price of memory chips, will have a negligible impact when considering total manufacturing costs.

The photoresists are the real crucial item and the story is completely different here. South Korea will be hard pressed to easily alt-source enough material when 92 percent comes from the Japanese. Further, these photoresist chemicals are comprised of more complex molecules than the and quality is of upmost importance as TSMC’s half a billion dollar blunder earlier this year illustrates. TSMC used either expired or tainted photoresist and had to throw out thousands of costly wafers.

Japanese suppliers will attempt to max out production of the photoresists from plants outside of Japan, but these same suppliers may be hesitant to invest in major capacity upgrades as Japan could reverse its block overnight rendering all that new capacity outside of Japan unnecessary. Of course, should photoresist vendors choose to ramp up capacity at these production lines, it will still take a good amount of time.

It speaks to reason that DRAM prices and NAND prices are set for a big price increase if Japan holds its current course. Some companies, such as American memory giant Micron (NASDAQ:MU), stand to benefit as its own production will remain unhindered while its products’ market prices soar. Micron has historically crushed its earnings targets when memory prices quickly increase and there’s no reason to think it will be any different this time.

Japan holds all the cards here, and the reality is Samsung and SK Hynix can only do so much to mitigate the export ban. One can imagine these two will be lobbying Prime Minister Abe and his government quite hard for relief over the next few months. The thing is, a disagreement like this is as emotional as it is volatile. Japan and SK aren’t arguing over simply a trade deficit’s or an unfair economic practice, they are arguing over blood money. Its an extremely politicized, and polarizing topic and citizens on both sides will be placing additional pressure on their respective governments to not back down. One gets the feeling that the U.S.-China trade war isn’t nearly as emotional, while this trade conflict runs much deeper. We could be in for a long ride.
https://wccftech.com/memory-prices-coul ... continues/

I feel much better about my decision to upgrade my ts-877 ram to 16gb when i did. i got the timing just right :mrgreen: .... lel

bet micron and their buddies are having a good time behind the scenes (just change the context to their own situation, probably something similar) :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6exo00T5I
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

my crucial mx500 500gb x 2 just arrived. got them for a decent price due to mid year sales event :mrgreen:

no bubble wrap in the packaging, but the plastic casing it came in seemed sturdy enough. good condition :X i'll try them on a qnap later.

for cloning the m.2 ssd suggested using true acronis

www.crucial.com/clone

anyway, now i have both crucial mx 500 500gb :mrgreen: and samsung 850 (250gb :( ) pair each. *correction :ashamed:

i was reading some reviews earlier, comparing the m.2 ssd software between the different brands

-Samsung came out as the best out of the lot. cloning especially worked well.

-crucial cloning using Crucial Storage Executive did not seem to get a 100% working. someone said at times the clone didn't work right. not sure why that is. maybe in the updated software they fixed the reliability issue for it perhaps? no idea.

-the WD SSD Dashboard Software is a copy of sandisk which they bought out. This app can view your SSD remaining life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nu_LwkvWzI

Here's why Western Digital is buying SanDisk
WD, a company steeped mostly in hard disk drive (HDD) technology, faces an evolution in IT that is driving companies to address a changing set of requirements for both client and enterprise end customers.

WD's buyout of SanDisk mainly gives the company an instant foothold in the global, non-volatile NAND flash memory market, according to Jeff Janukowicz, research vice president at IDC.

"WD wants [SanDisk] for the access to the flash. Their PC HDD business is declining due to the weak PC market but also because SSDs are encroaching that space," Wong said. "Without access to NAND flash at cost, it would've been difficult for them to participate in that space and also would've increasingly been difficult to compete with NAND players in the enterprise space."
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... ndisk.html
https://www.techradar.com/sg/news/compu ... le-1321056

Two years and $19bn later: What happened to WD's SanDisk enterprise flash advantage?
WDC bought SanDisk in October 2015 for $19bn. The deal closed in May 2016. Since then SanDisk CEO Sanjay Mehrotra and a string of other execs have joined Micron, now run by Mehrotra. It's tempting to see much of Micron's gain as WDC's loss

Combining enterprise and client SSDs, WDC (SanDisk then) had a number 2 revenue share position for much of 2014, behind Samsung, and again in early 2017. Now it has slipped into the number 4 position behind Intel and the Others category, as Samsung shows everyone how to run an SSD business.

Reg comment
No company spends $19bn to watch all that market share ebb away - WD executive jobs, or more likely those of the grunts, will be on the line if this continues.

A WD spokesman told us it was "very comfortable with our balanced NAND allocation for high-value product segments", whoch accounted for a high proportion of our supply versus that for merchant NAND customers."
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/0 ... expertise/

that's all interesting and all, but at the end of the day i just look at how the actual SSD performs. but it's still interesting to know the background.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

an interesting tidbit about

Automatic encryption on Crucial SSD.
Hello!
I bought MX500 500 GB SSD couple of days ago. Everything is working nice.

After installing Win 10 yesterday, I launched Crucial Storage Executive and there is the info that "this drive is currently encrypted by TCG standards".

Yes, I know that this SSD is SED and HW encryption is always on but without any configuration done by software like for example eDrive, encryption is present but not "armed". I read this info here: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/overview ... encryption

While first Win 10 installation on this SSD, encryption seemed to be disable because I could use Sanitize Option which is not available when encryption is enabled.

I also found info, that Win 8 and 10 enables it by default.

Is there any way to disable it completely?

How about cloning software like Clonezilla? Will it work normally with this kind of encryption enabled?

What do you think? Thanks in advance.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... sd.255413/

for the QNAP, i would think you'd need to manually enable the SED during the setup :' ?

by the way, the QNAP in QTS 4.4.1 mentions adding samsung SED support. Then how about for Crucial ? :' does anyone know?
https://www.qnap.com/qts/4.4.1/en

Just read up on Crucial's RMA/warranty practices, it's not really comforting :shock:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... eturn_all/

post was 2 years ago, maybe they've changed since then? :roll: but what brand for SSD has the best warranty experience?

The oldest SSD i have is an Intel X25-M SSD 160gb (MLC) which i still use. never had to claim RMA on SSD before. nor have any of my SSD's died yet :)
https://www.storagereview.com/intel_x25-m_ssd_review
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Is It Time to Replace Your RAID Storage With SSDs?

Over the years, many mainstream strategies have emerged to avoid enterprise data loss; redundant array of inexpensive disks (RAID) is but one of them. Despite these developments, a thorough examination of enterprise data storage in the modern era will reveal that solid state drives (SSDs) are increasingly indispensable to storage strategies.

What Is RAID?
RAID is a storage protocol that defines how disk controllers view a pool of disks and controls how data is read from and written to the disks in that collection. The intention is generally, with some exceptions, to make sure data integrity and availability are top priorities. An SSD is a type of individual drive that uses memory instead of spinning magnetic platters to store data.

In the past, RAID installations had dual priorities: to protect data and to squeeze more performance, as measured in input/output operations per second (IOPS), out of a storage subsystem on a server or high class workstation. Some RAID schemes do improve storage performance over and above the speed characteristics you would get from individual drives, whereas others add capacity by stringing together individual drives, or protecting the integrity of data by striping it across multiple volumes, which reduces the overall capacity of the storage solution (because some data has to be mirrored or otherwise written twice) while increasing the ability of the whole storage stack to survive a drive failing.

RAID was important because drives in the past were almost exclusively mechanical and failed not necessarily often, but relatively consistently over a drive’s life. Since there were many moving parts within the drive, its life was shorter and one could not predict when those parts would fail; therefore, protecting data against these failures with RAID was step one in an important battle.

RAID’s Importance Is Shifting
As SSDs have become more mainstream and enterprises migrate their storage workloads, legacy spinning hard disk drives (HDDs) are making up a smaller and smaller part of the changing storage picture. After all, SSDs are an order of magnitude or two faster than traditional media, and their maximum capacities now rival where traditional HDDs have been all along. And while SSDs can and do wear out, their lives are much longer than legacy disk drives as well, making their in-service dates much more predictable.

Suffice it to say that RAID’s place in enterprise storage has changed, for the following reasons:

-SSDs are tremendously reliable — much more so than legacy HDDs — thus making failure of any given drive in a RAID system much less likely.
-Software-defined storage options exist that work differently than RAID, and that don’t require expensive RAID controllers with expensive battery backups, but still allow you to protect against data loss in the event of drive failure.
-In a time where server-based computing is trying to become simpler and more abstract, complicating the storage subsystem with further RAID controllers adds cost, and perhaps more importantly, another possible failure point.

Many folks choose to use RAID 1, which is drive mirroring, with SSDs alongside other software-defined storage solutions and — critically — a robust, layered approach to data backups. In this configuration, data is written identically to two separate disks by the hardware controller, so if one drive goes bad, the data exists in its entirety on the other drive. While you do not get to use the extra capacity of the second drive, it does provide automatic data loss protection from a drive loss at essentially no performance cost, and a better backup scheme protects against other threats like accidental deletion, ransomware infections and the like.

SSDs in the Future
As storage is increasingly condensed — consider the terabytes upon terabytes of storage solutions a cloud provider must have — vendors are beginning to think about other types of redundancy within storage, including hybrid flash arrays and multinode solutions that provide redundancy not only at a drive level, but at the individual flash chip level. This removes the failure point of the RAID controller from the equation. There are also technologies like erasure coding, where data is split out and written to different chips in a redundant fashion, and new flavors of RAID that are designed with modern components in mind.

In addition, enterprise class SSDs from Samsung are designed for long-term service. These drives are built with Samsung V-NAND technology, making them optimal for 24/7 data center operations under heavy workloads. Samsung SSDs employ end-to-end protection to maintain data integrity across the entire transfer path. The Power Loss Protection feature stores data in the write cache so nothing is lost in an unexpected shutdown. The SSD also tracks its own temperature with the Dynamic Thermal Guard algorithm to prevent shutdown from overheating.

All of this combines to make drive loss — and thus data loss — a very remote occurrence, even as SSDs expand their role as an enterprise workhorse.
https://insights.samsung.com/2019/03/07 ... th-ssds-2/

so my question is

2x 500gb? or 1x 1tb m.2 ssd? :'

spikemixture wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am M.2 - 2x Crucial MX500 500GB - (Raid 1) - VM
I noticed you are using the mx500 500gb i just got. also 2x raid1 which is my planned config.

mind sharing your experience with them? what kind of read/writes do you get with that setup (raid1) ? also how is the sustained write speeds especially? :'
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

*re-ordered some of the links to the first post to make it more organized
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

SanDisk’s 3D NAND Internal SSDs for Both Desktop & Laptop Are Dirt Cheap, Available in Several Capacities, Only on Prime Day 2019

There is no greater feeling than experiencing an enormous speed boost thanks to installing a brand new internal SSD. SanDisk’s Ultra 3D NAND internal solid state drives can be outfitted into both desktops and laptops (those models that possess a 2.5-inch drive bay) but what’s even better is that on Amazon Prime Day 2019, these SSDs have been discounted immensely to the point where even the 2TB version looks like a bargain.

SanDisk’s Ultra 3D NAND SSDs are available in the 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB capacity models, giving you a lot of choices to get started. Also, the company claims that its 3D NAND technology provides increased endurance to help your SSDs last much longer while also using less power in both idle and load states. Coming to the speeds, 2.5-inch SSDs max out at 550MB/s and there is nothing different about SanDisk’s offerings during Prime Day 2019.

Sequential read speeds of 550MB/s and write speeds of 525MB/s can be experienced and on top of that, you also get a limited 5-year manufacturer warranty, meaning anything that happens to these drives in less than half a decade, you’ll be taken care of. Whether you want to make this your primary drive for booting purposes or a secondary option for storing programs, rest assured, speed and reliability is going to be the least of your worries.

Get SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND internal SSD 250GB for $49.99
Get SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND internal SSD 500GB for $59.99 (12 percent discount)
Get SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND internal SSD 1TB for $109.99 (8 percent discount)
Get SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND internal SSD 2TB for $192.99 ($47 discount)
sauce

https://wccftech.com/sandisks-3d-nand-i ... -day-2019/

Sandisk 3d = wd blue 3d :)

Samsung 860 EVO SSDs Get Discounted up to a Whopping $322 During Prime Day 2019

Amazon’s Prime Day 2019 is well into its second day, which means you still have some time left to save up on some essential items. For instance, if you think your PC or laptop needs a performance boost, there are some killer deals on Samsung’s 860 EVO SSD solutions right now. The South Korean giant is hands down the leader when it comes to SSDs, and thus you might want to think twice before passing up on this offer.

The Samsung SSD 860 EVO is up to 35 percent off on Amazon right now. Underpinned by the V-NAND technology and a proprietary controller, the 2.5-inch 860 EVO can be counted upon to provide enduring and fast performance. The 1TB 860 EVO SSD has gone down from $199.99 to $129.99, which means you will be able to save 70 bucks on the drive if you buy it today.

If you are looking for something faster and larger in terms of capacity, the drive is also available in 2TB and 4TB variants. The 2TB 860 EVO is retailing for $279.99 right now on Amazon, after a discount of $120 and the 4TB drive can be had for $577.99 as its price has been reduced by a mammoth $322.

It goes without saying that you need to be an Amazon Prime member to be able to avail these deals. Not sure if this will work for you? Sign up for a 30-day trial which is absolutely free and find it out for yourself.

Get the 860 EVO 1TB SSD for $129.99 ($70 discount)
Get the 860 EVO 2TB SSD for $279.99 ($120 discount)
Get the 860 EVO 4TB SSD for $577.99 ($322 discount)

https://wccftech.com/samsung-860-evo-ss ... -day-2019/

i'm not sure but maybe there are m.2 sata deals, you can try check yourself 8)
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

This is a 2019 M.2 NVME ssd guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo

in it, the tech guru suggest to go with 1tb rather than 500gb ssds. updated info.

It' s not really for the M.2 SATA guide (for the thread), but he does mention it in part, as to what m.2 SATA role still plays.

If you are opting for a QM2 with NVME support then it may help you.
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Western Digital and its manufacturing partner Toshiba Memory Co. (TMC) had managed to resume normal operation of almost all of their joint production lines at their Yokkaichi Operations campus in Japan, Western Digital said on Wednesday. Damages to wafer and manufacturing tools will cost Western Digital up to $339 million in total.

By now, virtually all production capacities at the Yokkaichi Operations are back online, according to Steve Milligan, chief executive of Western Digital.
“Western Digital and TMC teams have worked diligently on recovery activities and as of now, nearly all of the equipment in the fabs has returned to normal operations.”
The company believes that all the lost wafers will be contained in the September quarter, but the incurred damages will be quite vast. In Q4 FY2019 (Q2 C2019) the company took a $145 million charge for impacted equipment as well as operations, and plans to take another $170 – $190 million write-off in the September quarter. As a result, the impact on Western Digital will total $315 – $339 million.

Being a private company, Toshiba Memory does not disclose the impact of the accident, but if the company lost the equal number of wafers and has had to restore its production capacities, so its losses will be comparable to those of Western Digital. Overall, the 13-minute power outage will cost the two companies $630 to $678 million.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14702/we ... operations
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”