How to avoid duplicate storage?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

How to avoid duplicate storage?

Post by Beemer2 »

I use Dahua cameras and QVR Pro which stores its data files in my QNAP NAS. It appears that I must set up some camera functions, e.g. motion events to set sensitivity and area detection using the Dahua web plug-in. I do not understand how to handle the storage between QVR Pro settings and the storage settings of the Dahua camera plugin.

The default of the camera is to store video files on my computer C: drive which is an SSD. This is undesirable as the video files are already being sent to my NAS. I am assuming that I should not set the Dahua plugin to store files in the QVR Pro folders on the NAS.

Perhaps someone here is also using QVR Pro and QNAP Nas that can help me?
TS-473A, 32GB, 4x4TB, Raid5, 12GB Red Plus backup
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: How to avoid duplicate storage?

Post by AlastairStevenson »

It appears that I must set up some camera functions, e.g. motion events to set sensitivity and area detection using the Dahua web plug-in
Yes, to do the fine-detailed configuration of any of the camera settings.
I do not understand how to handle the storage between QVR Pro settings and the storage settings of the Dahua camera plugin.
These are separate and independent.
You can choose to use either or both.
But in reality, you'd probably use the QVRPro 'NVR' instead of the 'mini NVR' facilities of the camera as there is much more flexibility.
All the camera is doing is providing to QVRPro the various event notifications generated by the configuration of the camera, and access to the RTSP video stream to store as needed. Your configuration of QVRPro determines the actions that will be taken.
That said though - I'm not sure to what extent QVRPro supports all the IVS type of events that the Dahua camera can provide.
The default of the camera is to store video files on my computer C: drive which is an SSD.
No - the destination of the stored video is fully configurable and doesn't default to the C: drive.
Unless you are referring to the manually triggered 'instant recording' facility in Live View, as opposed to the programmed recording that does not depend on the PC being on and connected.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Perhaps you misunderstood my question? To me it appears that the camera and qvr pro are vying to store video files. Nowhere can I find instruction to show how just one or the other stores the videos. QVrR Pro engineers should have anticated that users might find ambiguity over selecting which program takes priority of file storage. I accept I may have misinterpreted the process but as I said I have not found any instructions to guide me on this point.
Perhaps if QVR Pro had allowed all settings and control so that there was no need to use a web based plug in to access the camera I would not be faced with this dilemma.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

You are inventing a dilemma when there isn't one.
It's normal to use the camera web GUI to do it's detailed configuration.

And if you didn't have QVRPro you could instead get the camera to record to a NAS destination using it's own facilities.
These do not have to be enabled, in which case the camera will not store video on the NAS.

QVRPro gives more flexibility to determine how to store and review and replay video, so if you've got it, use it instead of using what the camera can do by itself.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Alastair,
Okay so I've now checked and the camera is set not to record so is not saving to my computer.
thanks,
Ian

Return to “Surveillance Solution”