File Permission Glitches after Software Update

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
ajohnsongmsi
New here

File Permission Glitches after Software Update

Post by ajohnsongmsi »

There have been permissions glitches ever since a recent update to 4.3.6.0923
A user will report not being able to read a particular file that they normally have read access to. They ls and get all question marks. Then repeatably, I can go to the QNAP File Station and click on that file and see that it is readable. Then the user lists files again in the terminal and suddenly has permission to read again.
This random glitching of permissions is an issue across the entire file system. Anyone know of a fix?
constvoid
Starting out

Re: File Permission Glitches after Software Update

Post by constvoid »

There are a number of threads on this, such as viewtopic.php?f=35&t=147966 .
So far, the only solution I and others have found is to roll back to 4.3.6.0805.
ajohnsongmsi
New here

Post by ajohnsongmsi »

I'll try that. Thanks!
campbellr
First post

Post by campbellr »

Any luck with this? I'm having a similar issue on a TS-451+ on 4.3.6.0923, and unfortunately, it looks like QNAP doesn't have 4.3.6.0805 available to download anymore ( https://download.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X5 ... 6.0805.zip returns a 404).
ajohnsongmsi
New here

Post by ajohnsongmsi »

Yes, I ran into the same problem. That version of QNAP is no longer available. Qnap Technical Support has confirmed they are seeing the same issues and agree that it appears to be a software bug. Our support ticket has been escalated to HQ.

Initially we could not replicate the permissions issues on demand so it was difficult to debug. However, we discovered that running a "Memory Test" through the "QNAP Diagnostic Tool" app will trigger the permissions issues for regular users. Then the permissions can be temporarily fixed by navigating to a particular file or folder as admin through the "File Station" app.

We are still waiting on a fix. I encourage you to submit a support ticket. Maybe it will get higher priority if more people are reporting the same issue.
constvoid
Starting out

Post by constvoid »

@ajohnsongmsi - Thanks for providing this update. Please let us know if or when this is resolved. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to submit a ticket as I only have the one QNAP NAS, and I need to keep it at 4.3.6.0805 to avoid the problem, so I wouldn't be able to provide any diagnostics.
sairuk
New here

Post by sairuk »

Have run into the same problem on my TS-431P, I have now raised a ticket requesting the appropriate firmware to (potentially) restore service. The primary reason I have this NAS is to serve NFS shares for my network so this is a matter of service down for me.

Very annoying.
ajohnsongmsi
New here

Post by ajohnsongmsi »

The Qnap engineers have provided us a fix locally and I've not seen any issues since. The fix will be included in a future firmware update. However, they have not provided any estimate as to when that will be released.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

If this is a case I really worry what sort of test procedures Qnap have not to pick this up.
sairuk
New here

Post by sairuk »

ajohnsongmsi wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 pm The Qnap engineers have provided us a fix locally and I've not seen any issues since. The fix will be included in a future firmware update. However, they have not provided any estimate as to when that will be released.
Do you have any details of the fix?

I was provided multiple fixes which did not end up working, both around disabling/editing the flush_memory.sh cron job, while flushing the inodes (part of this script) proved to consistently show the issue the actual issue presented much more often in practice than the cron job ran and simply disabling the job did not fix the issue.

I ended up converting my network to cifs instead of nfs to restore basic service.

I have now been provided test firmware without any real detail on the changes which I am not willing to install on a production device.
ajohnsongmsi
New here

Post by ajohnsongmsi »

QNAP technical support let me know there is a fix in firmware 4.3.6.1013 20190724 which is expected to become available this week.
cybrwulf
First post

Post by cybrwulf »

Where is the new update? Or does anyone have a link to 4.3.6.0805 for the TS-453A? I am still having major issues with NFS mounts going haywire on both the latest stable 4.3.x and 4.4.x beta
sairuk
New here

Post by sairuk »

They let me know the same as ajohnsongmsi but it looks like they are dragging their feet with the release now, they closed my ticket even though i requested it to stay open until the firmware was released and tested.
sairuk
New here

Post by sairuk »

Looks like they pulled the latest 4.3.6 1040 release and the subsequent thread, file is still available on the server. Others have reported issues with the shipped conf breaking samba now; downgrading to 993 is the current workaround to restore smb service or fixing the conf. So we wait.

Really have to wonder what QA they are doing, if any.
sairuk
New here

Post by sairuk »

I see they pulled 4.3.6 1050 as well now due to reports of the same samba issues 1040 had, at least one can hope that is the only issue.

I have had 1050 installed since release and am back on nfs for most things. I have not seen any repeat of the nfs issues to date. I also don't leverage smb homes, so I don't run into the issue reported on that side.

Somewhat worrying I am now running a pulled release and no info on why it was pulled. Don't expect i'll be buying qnap in the future at this rate.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”