Best way to backup QNAP NAS to QNAP NAS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
lucky13
Getting the hang of things

Best way to backup QNAP NAS to QNAP NAS

Post by lucky13 »

Hi Chaps

I've recently upgraded and migrated all my data from a TS-110 to a TS-228, I've also upgraded the old TS-110 with lots of extra space and so it's fully capable as being a single drive backup for all the data on the TS-228.

I'm looking to use the TS-110 to carry out a full backup of the TS-228 every month, it won't be left switched on and the plan would be to keep it at work in a fire proof safe and once every month bring it home and carry out an exact replica copy of the data...wiping out anything on the TS-110 that has been deleted on the TS-228.... for instance if I was using Robocopy I would use the /Purge or /MIR switch.

Ideally I would be able to run the job manually with the click of a button on my phone or via the web page once programmed.

There are around 6 folders holding around 2TB of data so nothing major.

I can see there are a few QNAP apps that can do backups and I'm not really asking for anything major here just a pure clone of the data from one NAS to the other so hopefully a nice easy answer on whats the most reliable and easy app to use for something like this ...reliability being key of course so an error log ( if any ) at the end of the copy job would be most helpful.

many thanks
TS-228A
Mirrored Pair 5TB
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Best way to backup QNAP NAS to QNAP NAS

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

for QNAP to QNAP, you can either do it offsite using VPN for a SECURE remote access, and then using HBS (the native qnap backup app).

Or... you can do QNAP to QNAP on the same LAN. I connect them on the same LAN using a switch.

in hybridbackupsync there is backup or sync.

RTRR is for best performance. RSYNC is if your backing up to a NON qnap device.

On your TS-228 you probably should use a raid1 :)

Does RAID 1 protect against corruption?
https://superuser.com/questions/112683/ ... corruption
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

Thanks Moogle

So I will be bringing the extra Qnap NAS home and plugging it into the same switch as the other qnap NAS but only once a month, so I don’t think RTRR would be suitable as the extra NAS will only be plugged in once a month rather then running backups in real-time as soon as something changes.

hybridbackupsync looks more suitable but will it allow me to run it on demand only ?

Even hybridbackupsync seems a bit overkill, I really only need a backup tool that just copies the data once a month on demand and via a nice easy interface, does hybridbackupsync sound suitable at this basic level or should I try rsync which looks a bit more simplistic ?
TS-228A
Mirrored Pair 5TB
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

So I’ve been reading up on all 3 methods, but I’m still undecided..can anyone advise on my thread above ?

TS-228A
Mirrored Pair 5TB
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

So I will be bringing the extra Qnap NAS home and plugging it into the same switch as the other qnap NAS but only once a month, so I don’t think RTRR would be suitable as the extra NAS will only be plugged in once a month rather then running backups in real-time as soon as something changes.

hybridbackupsync looks more suitable but will it allow me to run it on demand only ?

Even hybridbackupsync seems a bit overkill, I really only need a backup tool that just copies the data once a month on demand and via a nice easy interface, does hybridbackupsync sound suitable at this basic level or should I try rsync which looks a bit more simplistic ?
TS-228A
Mirrored Pair 5TB
lexvo
Know my way around

Post by lexvo »

You can also do a scheduled backup with RTRR, or start it manually.
TS-453Be with FW 5.1.5.2645 build 20240116, 4GB RAM, 4x WD Red 4TB RAID 5
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

lucky13 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:50 pm So I will be bringing the extra Qnap NAS home and plugging it into the same switch as the other qnap NAS but only once a month, so I don’t think RTRR would be suitable as the extra NAS will only be plugged in once a month rather then running backups in real-time as soon as something changes.
RTRR and Rsync are protocols that both are available in Hybrid Backup Sync. On a local LAN between Qnaps, RTRR is the best. Don't use the option "Check file contents" as that's overkill and will slow the backup down.
Yes.
...I really only need a backup tool that just copies the data once a month on demand and via a nice easy interface, does hybridbackupsync sound suitable at this basic level...
Yes.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
janwer

Post by janwer »

Primary TVS-951x. RAID5 5x3TB HGST for media, photos, Plex, Roon. RAID1 2x0,5TB SSD for system and databases. Snapshots.
Secondary TS-431P2. RAID5 4x3TB HGST only daily backup with HBS3 and maybe snapshots from primary.

Is there any sense to have snapshots on secondary backup QNAP? If no should i make thick or static volume? Use 100% available pool space or less?
Which is better snapshot replication or storage?
What is the use of snapshots if I'll have daily versioned backup?
TVS-951x 16GB RAM, 3x 0,5 TB SSD RAID5, 5x 8 TB RAID5
TS-431P2 8GB RAM, 4x 3 TB HGST RAID5
Unraid 8GB RAM, 10x 3TB HGST

Return to “Backup & Restore”