Azure Blob storage: Hot, cool, and archive storage tiers?

ThereIsNoUserName
New here

Azure Blob storage: Hot, cool, and archive storage tiers?

Post by ThereIsNoUserName »

Azure storage now supports different storage tires.

Hot: The normal/old storage tire. (High storage cost, low data transfer costs, very low latency, no time limits)
Cold: New storage tire for less accessed data. (lower storage costs, higher data transfer costs, low latency, min 30 days)
Archive: Offline storage ( very low storage costs, high data transfer costs, up to 15h latency, min 180 days. Data needs to be moved to either cold or hot to be accessible)

Are there any ways of getting the Qnap to use any of the new storage tires for backup?

More on the Azure storage tires at docs.microsoft:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... rage-tiers
bkbartje
New here

Re: Azure Blob storage: Hot, cool, and archive storage tiers?

Post by bkbartje »

hi,
you can use hot and cold storage,
just configure this in Azure, you don't have to do anything else on your NAS, maybe only select the differen storage account.
thefonz010
New here

Post by thefonz010 »

Hello,
I just wanted to confirm that archive is NOT supported??

I noticed the archive tier in azure is the same blob and storage account that the hot and cool data would sit in.

The blob simply has a rule which will move the data in the storage account to the archive tier after a set amount of time. This is similar to how AWS Glacier works.

Is there a reason why the archive tier is not supported?

I am in the process of moving a large amount of data into the cloud, if it doesnt work I will have to go down the AWS path.

thank you.
ThereIsNoUserName
New here

Post by ThereIsNoUserName »

If you are OK to manage the move between the different storage tires manually, then it works.
thefonz010
New here

Post by thefonz010 »

thanks for the quick response.
Yes, the storage container will automatically move the data from the cool to archive tier after a set amount of days.

My main question is how the qnap does the incremental backups. I am assuming the operations below are still valid for the qnap to compare the files?

"While a blob is in archive storage, the blob data is offline and cannot be read, copied, overwritten, or modified. You can't take snapshots of a blob in archive storage. However, the blob metadata remains online and available, allowing you to list the blob and its properties. For blobs in archive, the only valid operations are GetBlobProperties, GetBlobMetadata, ListBlobs, SetBlobTier, and DeleteBlob."

Return to “Microsoft Azure”