QNAP TS-451+ stopped booting

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
GeorgNordi
New here

QNAP TS-451+ stopped booting

Post by GeorgNordi »

Hi,

my QNAP TS-451+ stopped booting two days ago. I noticed the fan beeing very loud when I came home. I then turned of the device.
After turning it on it did not boot anymore.

The fan is still spinning when I turn it on.

The LEDs are different depending on whether I plug the power cable: orange LAN LED solid orange , USB blue

or I power of the device through the power button: LAN LED solid orange, HDDs red USB blue

There is nothing displayed on an external display connected through HDMI either way.

Also the device seems not reachable over the network.

The device never beeps even after pressing the reset button for up to a minute.

Any ideas what I can do? The device worked flawlessly for 3 years until now.

Kind regards
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: QNAP TS-451+ stopped booting

Post by Toxic17 »

firstly do you have backups?

secondly try booting up with the hard disks pulled out slightly so no power goes to the HDD at all. does it boot then? can you see the NAS in QFinder?

have you upgraded the ram at all? install the ram that came with the NAS and see if it boots.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
GeorgNordi
New here

Post by GeorgNordi »

Hi Toxic17,

I tried booting without the HDD. Same result. I have a backup but I don't think any data got lost. The HDDs seem to do fine.
The device does not show up in the QFinder, although there seems to be networking activity according to the LAN led.

I did not touch the RAM ever. It's still the original pre installed RAM 8gb.
The device was working like that for 3 years without changing anything about the hardware.

Kind regards
brentm
Starting out

Post by brentm »

Interesting. I have a QNAP TS-453 mini that has been working for years, regularly updated and all of a sudden stopped working for me as well. Rebooting with drives out shows 4 red drive lights, a flashing orange network light, along with the blue light on right.

DHCP server is fine but the unit is not getting any D'hCP address and HDMI is not displaying anything on screen. Very bizarre others are experiencing the same kind of situation around the same time.

-Brent
taktlos
First post

Post by taktlos »

Did you manage to find solution?
Houtje76
First post

Post by Houtje76 »

Also I have the same problem. The hard disks are ok. I tried everything. Than decided to buy a new nas. It became the TS-453D. I placed the 4 harddisks in the new nas and it migrated straight away.
But now I try to investigate if I can find the problem with the old 451 And maybe it can be repaired. Is there nobody who found the problem?

T.I.A. Ed
toutgreg
New here

Post by toutgreg »

This seems to address all issues: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&start=150#p767546
Last edited by OneCD on Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed URL

Return to “Users' Corner”