QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
tombj
Getting the hang of things

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by tombj »

Just woke up to the same "system booting>>>>>>" issue this morning, still saying that after a few hours, USB and LAN lights lit, 2 HGST 6tb NAS drives installed, drive lights are green. Firmware is up to date. Has there been a fix issued or shall I do the procedure that was outlined earlier:

1 - Force power off the NAS pressing the power button for 10 secs
2 - Remove the hard drives (remembering the order)
3 - Power on the NAS
4 - This time, without hard drives, the NAS starts. Interestingly, no error is logged.
5 - Power off the NAS normally
6 - Reinsert the hard drive preserving the order
7 - Power on the NAS
8 - The NAS starts and all the data is accessible.

and if so shall I change to earlier firmware? Has this issue been addressed with some patch or something?
ben79
Starting out

Post by ben79 »

Oh no!

What happened on 17-Jul-2019. I have one that has rebooted by itself and now seems to be stuck on SYSTEM BOOTING.

Did following the originally suggested steps help?

;-)
sanktis
First post

Post by sanktis »

Same here....... TS-451+

Booted in the night. Got 1x Short beep after 1 minute 1 short then 1 Long. All seams be good... but Nas is not reachable
Then after ca. 5 Minute 1x Short 1x Long and the Sys Status LED Turns Red.

After booting without disks the NAS is Booting. If i insert then the disks. They are coming up and seams be good....
But no boot.

The HDMI Out is showing "Starting...." thats it.

I have now opened a ticket at Qnap
ben79
Starting out

Post by ben79 »

Just an update from me. The TS-453 Pro had died. As soon as it was powered up, the LCD screen just displayed SYSTEM BOOTING with the progress arrows, but there was no HDMI output. The first drive bay had a green light, the other three drives has red lights.

Pulling the drives and putting them in to a TS-453A (with the latest firmware) booted normally. Only thing that needed to be changed were the IP settings.
m.raczka
New here

Post by m.raczka »

Same situation here - SYSTEM BOOTING>>> , no hdmi output.
Does it mean that the device is compleatly dead? Why there is no bios post messages etc?
For so many users at this same time?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

m.raczka wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:28 am Same situation here - SYSTEM BOOTING>>> , no hdmi output.
Does it mean that the device is compleatly dead? Why there is no bios post messages etc?
For so many users at this same time?
it means the system is stuck in booting up and cannot go any further, hense no output from hdmi.

if you have followed other users guidance and you still cannot boot, then raise a ticket with QNAP. https://service.qnap.com/en-uk/user/support
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
desnap
Starting out

Post by desnap »

Ok, struck by the same issue as others.

1 - Force power off the NAS pressing the power button for 10 secs
2 - Remove the hard drives (remembering the order)
3 - Power on the NAS
4 - This time, without hard drives, the NAS starts. Interestingly, no error is logged.
-- > All working up to this point. I get HDMI output asking me to insert a disk, as though a virgin installation. So I can assume the BIOS is fine?

But...

5 - Power off the NAS normally
6 - Reinsert the hard drive preserving the order
7 - Power on the NAS
8 - The NAS starts and all the data is accessible.
---> still hangs at this point

SYSTEM BOOTING, status green, lan flashing, both disks green, single bleep and
Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.

....and nada.

I have two RED WD drives in RAID. Is it worth trying to boot with just the first disk? What will be the consequences with a single-drive boot? A RAID re-sync.

This has been issue as long as I've had the box, usually a forced power-off fixers it.
desnap
Starting out

Post by desnap »

OK, so I left it on all night to no avail. Switched if off, went to work, came home, switched it on, IT BOOTS!! GODDAMMIT.

I just wish I could understand why it does this so at least I can recover it in a sensible manner <sigh/>
crybaby
New here

Post by crybaby »

dear all,

at the end of July I also got the boot loop issue (I dont knwo what cause it - the last f/w update or other sircumstance. It doesnt mater now).
After having tryed various ways to fix it (p.1-8 described by alias71, pressing a 10 sec reset buton and many other ways), now came to a step shown on the screenshot (note the four HDDs are inserted):
NAS.jpg
I suppose I came on the initial setup of the NAS and I'm afraid if I go ahead this will destroy my current data on the disks (they were set on RAID5)
Any suggestions how do I proceed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shadowed
Starting out

Post by Shadowed »

Has anyone that didn't get anything via HDMI ever get it fixed? I just put in a ticket but kinda wanna know if it is hopeless and just buy a new one.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Shadowed
Starting out

Post by Shadowed »

Ok... Then here is another question. If I take the 4 drives out of this system and put them into a TS-1635 will the data be accessible? Or how would I go about recovering the data?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Shadowed
Starting out

Post by Shadowed »

Well that is a no-go. Is there a way to put them in the other nas just to pull the data off?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Shadowed wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:19 pm Well that is a no-go. Is there a way to put them in the other nas just to pull the data off?

cant even find an explanation on what nas model you are talking about

how are we supposed to advise?

Return to “Users' Corner”