Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
mrwallace
New here

Post by mrwallace »

Hi, I've found my way here as my QNAP TS-53Be crashed last weekend. It has 4x3Tb hard drives in Raid 5. It's only 15 moths old. We bought it so that we could free up space on our iMac, particularly photos and music. I also wanted to digitise my music and steam it to my Cyrus Hi-Fi. Iv'e got to say we are not impressed, we thought you could access the photos using Apple Photo, but instead you have to firstly locate them, and it's so user unfriendly trying to look at the photos that we haven't as yet transferred them over. Using the music programme is even worse. But thats enough of a rant. The thing is dead, the status light is flashing red slowly, and the fan is not running.

Im waiting to see what after-sales support we get.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Newbie

Post by dolbyman »

I dont have any apple products ..but the qnap should be just a network storage location ..the user interface/experience should still be the same, no matter where the files are stored (local or network)

I hope you have backups ..always have backups (a nas or raid itself is not a backup if you move the files from the original locations)

so in terms of supoort..did you open a ticket ?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Newbie

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

mrwallace wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 pm Hi, I've found my way here as my QNAP TS-53Be crashed last weekend. It has 4x3Tb hard drives in Raid 5. It's only 15 moths old.
i'm not exactly sure why your qnap crashed. firstly, which QTS version are you using for starters? Also for a NAS, it's highly recommended to regularly update the QTS os to the latest STABLE version (which it is recommended to check the qnap forum thread first to read what others are saying about the firmware, whether it is stable or not).

also what hdds are you using? are they in the compatibility list? you should only use compatible hdds only. Some users they buy desktop hdds expecting they can use it for NAS. but later there may be raid sync issues, and hdds dropping out of raid, and issues with raid rebuild. WD red or Seagate ironwolf is the go to for the usually nas hdds since they are 24/7 rated and is built for raid.

my own issue for crashing was due to an issue with the beta qts 4.4.1 firmware. but other possibilities is that ram could be spoiled and need replacing, or some other issue.

But basically anything can happen. thats why the main rule for NAS is that, even in raid, it's not considered a backup. a backup is the data you want backed up is located in minimum 2 separate physical devices e.g. a secondary NAS, external usb storage, cloud storage, or other.

You should always have backups. :shock:

if you were expecting the NAS to not fail at any point, please get rid of that assumption. always assume it will fail at some point. Yes raid can somewhat prevent utter data loss, BUT NOT 100%. for example, in raid5, if 1 hdd fails, it will go degraded mode. Your data is still fine, you haven't lost anything. Just that performance tanks. When you insert the replacement hdd to replace the bad hdd, it will then rebuild. When rebuild completes, it would feel like the nas was fine back again as if nothing happened. But at any point in this process, anything can go wrong. Raid rebuild failure, another hdd failing, anything. Thats why raid is not a backup.

We bought it so that we could free up space on our iMac, particularly photos and music. I also wanted to digitise my music and steam it to my Cyrus Hi-Fi.
That's basically what the NAS is for. It's storage for your digital files, and can be accessed over your network, or remotely over the internet (although it's recommended to use vpn for that purpose).
Iv'e got to say we are not impressed, we thought you could access the photos using Apple Photo, but instead you have to firstly locate them, and it's so user unfriendly trying to look at the photos that we haven't as yet transferred them over.
I don't use mac so i'm not exactly familiar with your usage. But typically you store files on your qnap, then you POINT the location of your media to the app that you are using.

I'll use Kodi and plex as an example for my video media. I point my media folder to the share location on my qnap, then the app indexes them, then i can watch my video catalog from those apps.

The initial setup does requiring pointing where your digital files are located.

In multimedia management (this is later replaced by multimedia console in the qts 4.4.1 beta), you would point out your media folders such as videos, music and pictures. This will then indicate to the QNAP apps (qpkg native apps by qnap) where your media types are located. So then when you use their native qnap apps like videostation, music station, photo station etc, they will auto catalog your media. You should also set to real time indexing.

Using the music programme is even worse.
music station? it seemed okay for me. Probably not the best app but it works. I got it to play the music over the computer, or on the QNAP internal speakers, or stream it over a network connected device. And it has basic controls. What exactly was your issue with this app though? you didn't mention specifics? :'

But thats enough of a rant. The thing is dead, the status light is flashing red slowly, and the fan is not running.
doesn't sound like it's booted up? i'm not sure whats going on. best to consult helpdesk about this :(

Im waiting to see what after-sales support we get.
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Default
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Users' Corner”