Qnap TS-212P user's folder

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Salvini65
New here

Qnap TS-212P user's folder

Post by Salvini65 »

Hi, it's my first post so I introduce myself and then ask something :)
I have a TS-212P , bought two years ago and until now I never encountered problems.
I was updating to the latest firmware version, but a message error notified me there wasn't enough space left to download the file.
I used ssh to connect the nas and find something that could be erased to free up some space, but I saw in the /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config/users a lot of folders with usernames that I've never created.
I'd like to know how the folders are created inside that path:
Every time you login with a new user the folder is created?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Qnap TS-212P user's folder

Post by Toxic17 »

the folder will be full of usernames that have a QTS desktop profile. ie they have logged into the webgui of the NAS.

the profile is basically a file with the users own personal settings (layouts etc) of the webgui.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Salvini65
New here

Post by Salvini65 »

Ok so if I found a lot of usernames that I've never created I must assume someone found a way to enter the nas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lexvo
Know my way around

Post by lexvo »

Check in the admin web interface if these users exist. If so, delete them. Also change your admin password if you didn't create those users yourself.
TS-453Be with FW 5.1.5.2645 build 20240116, 4GB RAM, 4x WD Red 4TB RAID 5
Salvini65
New here

Post by Salvini65 »

Sorry for my late reply, I was pretty busy this days.
I changed the admin password and controlled for new users: they weren't listed in the admin panel, so then I manually deleted the folders.
I'm still asking what could be happened because I'm sure the admin password couldn't be guessed and not even the other user's ones.. Even in the log I did not found any traces.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Salvini65
New here

Post by Salvini65 »

I created a simple script to notify me the creation of a new user's folder:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#########
# USER'S FOLDER CHECK
#########
while inotifywait -e create /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config/users; do
        touch email.txt
        echo To: yourmail@something.com > email.txt
        echo From: smtpmail@somethingelse.com >> email.txt
        echo Subject: New folder has been created>> email.txt
        echo "=============== Folders list ===============" >> email.txt
        ls -al /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config/users >> email.txt
        cat email.txt | sendmail -t
        sleep 10
        rm email.txt
done
I saved it into /etc/config, enabled the autostart.sh execution @ startup (Starting from QTS 4.3.3 it's required to enable the autorun.sh processing in the Control Panel->Hardware->General:Run user defined startup processes (autorun.sh)), mounted the config ramblock and created the autostart.sh script that recall the previous written code.

The ramblock mounting is different for each NAS model, you can find all the info here.

Of course you have to set smtp server from Control Panel -> System -> Notification.
If you're having trouble with Gmail smtp server, set the smtp server to Custom, enable 2FA from Google Account Control Panel and create an app password, then use it in the qnap smtp server configuration. This worked for me.

Hope this will be usefull to someone.

Return to “Users' Corner”