Remote Access Kodi

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Remote Access Kodi

Post by dolbyman »

router and NAS are in different subnets ? please elaborate...I am confused

for the sake of clarity please state all private(e.g 192.168.x.x) range IP's of all your equipment involved

NAS network:
Router IP (VPN server port forwards need to be done here)
NAS IP (VPN server runs here)

Client network:
Router IP
VPN client computer IP (this establishes the connection to VPN server)
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

Sry for the late reply I didn't realise you had replied!

Router IP 192.168.1.1
NAS IP 192.168.1.148

I've forwarded the correct ports for the VPN, as for the client, im running it on my phone over my mobile LTE network so im unsure why the IP matters. When I connect to the VPN on my NAS via the open VPN client on android I can see the connection being established.

The local IP of my client in this case would be 192.0.0.4. The client network atm is my phone.
"VPN client computer IP (this establishes the connection to VPN server)" I'm not sure what this one is.

It might be my understanding of how this is mean't to work and also being new to this kind of thing i'm struggling to get my head around what info it is that you require.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help so far, If I sound ungrateful its not intentional.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you didn't state that the client was your phone on LTE, so IP range of the phone shouldn't matter in that case (it would only matter if there was another subnet involved with NAT in place)

e.g.
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... in-detail/

Just to make sure, your phone can successfully connect to the OpenVPN server ? (on android you get a lock symbol and openVPN app notification on the notification bar)
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

It does connect successfully, however, my FTP is still accessible even if the client isn't connected. It might be my understanding of the way it works that might be wrong. I thought that in order to access my FTP you have to first be connected via the client if you had a VPN running on the NAS.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

here is how phone (android) and VPN server look like (used my router VPN server, not QNAP QVPN)
removed my WAN IP and DDNS
OVPN_2.jpg
OVPN_1.jpg
I use a LAN only access policy so only traffic for LAN subnet get's routed via OVPN tunnel (SMB,Plex,etc) , not all outgoing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

Unfortunately, my router is not capable of running a VPN.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

they should work fairly similar

setup the server,
export the ovpn config file
import the file in your client
run the connection
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

that's what I'm doing but for some reason everything is getting round the VPN, it's like it doesn't exist!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so your phone is connected successfully ?
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

Yes as far as I can tell my phone connects successfully to the VPN. However, I can still access the NAS regardless of whether or not the client is running. That's what's confusing me! I thought the whole point of having the VPN server running on the NAS was to stop people accessing the drive without using the client to connect. Unless it's my understanding of it that's wrong. If not then there must be some sort of routing issue somewhere or worse the NAS is borkeD!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

without the VPN running, there should be no access to the NAS, if there is access to the NAS, it is probably via the WAN address (dangerous)

with the VPN running, you need to access the NAS with it's internal private IP
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

How would I ensure that the WAN address is not accessible? (I'm not sure which option to check)
Skunk79
Starting out

Post by Skunk79 »

TY I LOVE U! Its been accessing through the WAN. I really appreciate it I was about to throw it out the window!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

make sure the port forwards are just in place for the QVPN server , not for any other protocols

glad you you otherwise got it working

Return to “Media Streaming”