My TVS-463 is too weak according to HelpDesk, so what do I do?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
nikonvulcano
Getting the hang of things

My TVS-463 is too weak according to HelpDesk, so what do I do?

Post by nikonvulcano »

Hi,
I've have since 3 years a QNAP TVS-463 with 16 GB of RAM (business class), n.3 4TB disks (2 WD RED + 1 Seagate IronWolf) in RAID 5 (1 pool divided into about twenty volumes, one for each shared folder) and n.1 disk 4TB (WD Purple) dedicated to video surveillance. The discs from the sequential read test range from 110MB/s to 140MB/s. QTS firmware 4.3.6.1040 dated August 20, 2019.

The use I make of it is as follows:
5-6 clients connected NOT at the same time, itunes server, afp and smb server, QVR PRO video surveillance station with n.7 cameras from 5MPx , backup station, Qmail station with about twenty accounts.
So far the NAS is usable, but if I start to enable other more demanding apps such as QSIRCH, the processor works at around 85% or more and the system no longer responds !!

QVR PRO and QSIRCH are very heavy and together they kill the system !!

Here the apps installed, enabled or not

https://www.qnapclub.it/download/file.p ... &mode=view

Number of folders (contained in the various shared folders) about 400,000
Number of Files about 1,550,000

Folders that I would like to index with QSirch about 75,000
Files that I would like to index with QSirch about 800.00

After a year of various tests and tickets with HelpDesk I have just received this message

"As per development team manager.,
Based on the test result from R&D team, the bottleneck is on the CPU and HDD performance. Please suggest the customer use higher-end models and SSDs to have better performance on his application. "

What I would like to understand in the first place is if I can upgrade my model TVS-463 with SSD (with QM2 module ... but wich?) and if for my use I can receive benefits.
Otherwise a piece of advice to understand which models to look at, or whether to think about changing brands.
I also have a very old Synology DS-207+ of 12 years ago, which in compares "is a lot better", the OS is very light.
Certainly the QNAP software will also be full of features, but it is much much heavier.

So what can I do? I keep the TVS-463 or I change it with a new model, and which one should I look at?
If I have to upgrade TVS-463 I don't want to spend much on it as it is an old model and otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.

I apologize for the long message, but it is a situation that has dragged on for over a year and I want to solve it definitively.

Very thanks,
bye
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TVS-463 - 16GB RAM - QTS 4.3.6
dolbyman
Guru

Re: My TVS-463 is too weak according to HelpDesk, so what do I do?

Post by dolbyman »

some quick things come to mind

reduce your volumes.... tweenty(?!?!) volumes..why?..one volume with shared folders should be just fine..you probably got tons of storage overhead here

do one spanning raid accross all your drives ..more spindles give you more performance (but with nas drives..not others like purple)

do you really need qsirch? it's known to be a memory hog with lots of files
nikonvulcano

Post by nikonvulcano »

Hi
dolbyman, I have a lot of volumes because I migrated to snapshot shared folder (to fast restore), as suggest to Qnap.
However, my previous configuration it was as single volume and I had the same problems.

The purple disk is only for surveillance, the others are in RAID 5 because are only 3 disks.
For other types of RAID I need of 4 or more disks, but surveillance don't work on USB disk, so I think that is impossible a different RAID for me.

Yes I need QSirch because I've a lot of files and don't remember their position, also for all mails, however I've 16 GB of RAM and half are available.

thanks
bye
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nas disks are fine for surveillance tasks ... so a 4 disk raid5 would have been better
nikonvulcano

Post by nikonvulcano »

ok dolbyman.
I had separated the volumes so as not to slow down the volume of the system.
However, what do you recommend? do you think that this NAS does not work, that it is too weak?
What should I look at?
thank you
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I record two 4mpx cams on a single laptop drive (intel bean canyon i3 nuc) with motion detection and it uses 40% cpu ..
so depending on your qvr pro settings and all other stuff running on your nas ..I think qnap is right ..you need a lot more power to run this

probably look at ryzen models
nikonvulcano

Post by nikonvulcano »

ok, thank you !!
bye

Return to “Presales”