Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Toxic17
Ask me anything

HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync 3.0.190829 (2019/08/29) Released

Post by Toxic17 »

Looks like a new HBS v3 is released.

[New Features]
  • Added support for IBM Cloud.
  • Added support for Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration.
  • Added a multi-cloud storage function for cloud jobs.
  • Added "US East (Ohio)" as a region for Amazon S3.
  • Google Docs files can now be converted to Microsoft Office formats.
  • Added synchronization support for shared Google Drive accounts.
  • For ARM models: Added support for multi-version backup to cloud storage accounts.
[Fixed Issues]
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the setup of RTRR connections.
  • Fixed an issue that caused one-way sync jobs with OneDrive and Dropbox to fail.
  • Fixed an issue that caused backup jobs with Amazon Glacier and WebDAV to fail.
  • Fixed an issue that caused real-time two-way sync jobs with Amazon Drive and Box to fail.
  • Fixed an issue that caused RTRR backup jobs using SSL connections to fail.
  • Fixed an issue that caused rsync to fail.
  • Fixed some issues found in specific cloud sync jobs.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented HBS from resolving conflicts according to the conflict policy for cloud two-way sync jobs.
  • For ARM models: Fixed an issue that prevented users from enabling multi-version backup.
[Enhancements]
  • Improved the rsync server and storage space settings.
  • Improved the Microsoft Azure settings.
  • Improved the job creation process.
  • Improved the job notifications.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... bridBackup
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
P3R
Guru

Re: HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync 3.0.190829 (2019/08/29) Released

Post by P3R »

Apparently it fixes only one (but for those affected major) bug:
[Fixed Issues]
Fixed an issue that prevented users from starting the application on devices set to specific time zones.

We'll have to wait longer for them to fix everything they destroyed with this terrible version. :evil:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jsteng
Getting the hang of things

Post by jsteng »

On HBS 190812 version, If you have a sync job to a Cloud, HBS will re-sync everything, costing $$$$ traffic.

Will that do the same for this new 190829 version?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Changelog added to 1st post.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository

Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
I just backed up a TS-1685 from one QNAP to another identical QNAP TS-1685 using HBS3. I do not find it terrible. I figured out the new user interface, and backed up 66 TB of data.
It worked fine with no errors. I don't see what is "horrible" about this new version. It works perfectly well.

P3R is one of the best people on this forum - I would like to know why you find this version terrible.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Bob Zelin wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:48 am
P3R is one of the best people on this forum - I would like to know why you find this version terrible.

Bob Zelin
Hi Bob. Think this is due to all the comments in this forum about HBS3.

firstly users we upgraded (HBS2 to HBS3) without knowing the full facts and the last version contained several bugs that messed may users backups up for good. Hopefully this "latest" version will be more stable for some. Personally it just worked for me and most of my backups I am using QuDedup to cut down on time/size of backups.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository

jsteng
Getting the hang of things

Post by jsteng »

Hi

When I updated to version 190812 from previous versions, it messed up with the backup versions.
The several monthly, weekly, daily versions were still there, but it does not seem to recognize them.

Right now, everytime a new HBS version is released, I ended up deleting all my backup versions.
THIS is my biggest and only hesitation to updating to new versions.
Will this new one be able to maintain (recognize...) previous backup versions?

Maybe I am doing it wrong. How should I update any ways?
A: Must I uninstall previous/old HBS version, before installing new HBS version?
B: Must I delete all jobs before updating HBS (without uninstalling older HBS version)?
C: or, I just simply update, without deleting jobs?
I have been doing option C.

thanks!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@Bob Zelin,
  1. Not all existing jobs from previous versions will work after the upgrade. I had a versioned job that failed. Making sure conversions of existing jobs work should be one of the first and most important things to test I think.
  2. It look like they broke backward compatibility with older HBS versions. I'm not completely sure about this yet, it may change when support get back to me on #1.
  3. Creating a versioned backup job now forces the use of QuDedup. Existing converted jobs will still work the way they used to but I can't change anything in them or create new jobs working the way they used to. One consequence of this is that everyone that have used versioned backups will have to reinitialize that and throw their old versioned backups (which could be 6 or more months of backup) away when they need to change anything! In my opinion one of the greatest advantages with the previous HBS versions was that it didn't have a proprietary backup format locking the customer in. That have now changed... :cry:
  4. They've now limited the allowed characters in job names and if you use one of the now banned characters in a converted job you now need to change the name if you want to change anything else in the job.
#1 and possibly #2 are very bad. #3 is a disaster and #4 is time consuming and annoying.

I'm reluctant to change anything now in HBS while I wait for support to get back to me so I haven't used it very much but on the plus side I noticed that scheduling have been improved and that's great.

Of course the addition of QuDedup is a fantastic improvement for many users but make it optional and don't take existing functionality away from us! :evil:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
spacesimon
Starting out

Post by spacesimon »

I have to agree with P3R.

#3 is an awful move.

Versioning forces you to use QuDedup. But they say QuDedup is not recommend for Video. You should use Snapshots. But that requires you to use Thick/Thin volumes.

The old way was better. (unless they un force QuDedup) Simple volumes. Simple versioning that was clever in itself that it used hard-links.

As an example I run backups every 2 hours. I keep 11 hours and 4Days.
So I cover with /H 24 hours and 4xD covers me if someone makes a mess Friday and no one realises till Monday.
Anything further back is on LTO.

The /latest folder goes to LTO8 via Archiware running on the QNAP direct daily at 10PM
/latest can be read by any computer and so by default then can the LTO8 backup when restored.

Not so with this closed QuDedup format.

HBS3 looks slicker. The scheduling was much better. The option to add multiple times was a great improvement.

Still lacks a proper schedule like ChronoSync.
You should be able to select the days so you don't have to backup over the weekend and create pointless versions and remove restore points.
ie Every 2 hours M/T/W/T/F

I did get a reply from support saying HBS3 is still Beta when I questioned being forced to use QuDedup. So not sure whose pushed the publish button at Qnap.

The fact old setups work, like my old one with versioning as before but with QuDedup not enabled in HBS3 shows its possible but for some reason with new settings your forced.
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Post by itsmarcos »

P3R wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am @Bob Zelin,
  1. Not all existing jobs from previous versions will work after the upgrade. I had a versioned job that failed. Making sure conversions of existing jobs work should be one of the first and most important things to test I think.
  2. It look like they broke backward compatibility with older HBS versions. I'm not completely sure about this yet, it may change when support get back to me on #1.
  3. Creating a versioned backup job now forces the use of QuDedup. Existing converted jobs will still work the way they used to but I can't change anything in them or create new jobs working the way they used to. One consequence of this is that everyone that have used versioned backups will have to reinitialize that and throw their old versioned backups (which could be 6 or more months of backup) away when they need to change anything! In my opinion one of the greatest advantages with the previous HBS versions was that it didn't have a proprietary backup format locking the customer in. That have now changed... :cry:
  4. They've now limited the allowed characters in job names and if you use one of the now banned characters in a converted job you now need to change the name if you want to change anything else in the job.
#1 and possibly #2 are very bad. #3 is a disaster and #4 is time consuming and annoying.

I'm reluctant to change anything now in HBS while I wait for support to get back to me so I haven't used it very much but on the plus side I noticed that scheduling have been improved and that's great.

Of course the addition of QuDedup is a fantastic improvement for many users but make it optional and don't take existing functionality away from us! :evil:
Facing #1, #2 and #4 above. I agree on all points. My understanding is that QNAP is aiming for customer lock-in. All these problems migrating jobs from v2 to v3 just shows that they don't do proper testing before they push their apps to consumers.

IPv6 issue
Another issue I've been experiencing. In case the NASes are on a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 networks (either local or remote networks), backups are a hit or miss. My understanding is that they develop their apps without proper handling of IPv6 addresses (by the way myqnapcloud receives and publishes AAAA updates via DDNS).

@QNAP: A quick hack around this issue until you fix your apps is to provide additional DNS addresses for IPv4 only or IPV6 only. An example for clarity follows:

Current situation (fictional addresses)

Code: Select all

nslookup myhost.myqnapcloud.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    myhost.myqnapcloud.com
Addresses:  2a02:101:1011:101:101:1111:1111:1111
Suggested solution is to add ipv4 and ipv6 only DDNS entries. For example, myqnapcloud could provide A records only for myhost-ipv4.myqnapcloud.com and AAAA records only for myhost-ipv6.myqnapcloud.com, in addition to the A and AAAA records provided for myhost.myqnapcloud.com

Code: Select all

nslookup myhost-ipv4.myqnapcloud.com
Name:    myhost-ipv4.myqnapcloud.com
Addresses:  92.49.13.191

nslookup myhost-ipv6.myqnapcloud.com
Name:    myhost-ipv6.myqnapcloud.com
Addresses:  2a02:101:1011:101:101:1111:1111:1111
this way we can use myhost-ipv4.myqnapcloud.com in our remote backup setting to avoid the IPv6 mishandling of the apps.

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

"Creating a versioned backup job now forces the use of QuDedup"

I upgraded to HBS 3 and my BU of my NAS (with versioning) to attached USB seems to be working.
My old job got transferred and I can browse the folders on the USB drive using Filestation 5.

I'm not aware that I'm using QuDedup. How do I verify that everything is working as it should be?

PS: How do I selectively delete some of my older incremental backups? In Filestation?
My Filestation looks as follows:
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

alokeprasad wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 am "Creating a versioned backup job now forces the use of QuDedup"

I upgraded to HBS 3 and my BU of my NAS (with versioning) to attached USB seems to be working.
Yes, as I said existing jobs will (usually) be converted and still work without QuDedup. I don't think you'll be allowed to save the job after an edit though without enabling QuDedup.
I'm not aware that I'm using QuDedup. How do I verify that everything is working as it should be?
Edit the job and check the options.
PS: How do I selectively delete some of my older incremental backups? In Filestation?
Yes in my experience the older versions (the folders named with a date and time and ending with .H, .D, .W or .M) can be deleted with any file management tool without problems. You don't seem to have that many older versions there though.

ebf82
New here

Post by ebf82 »

Toxic17 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 pm [*]For ARM models: Added support for multi-version backup to cloud storage accounts.[/list]
Hooray!

Now, is there any way to backup individual files within a folder? I've got folder "example" that contains a file (or a few files) that I want to do incremental backups for but they don't show. Selecting the directory they're in forces you to backup all subfolders too.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ebf82 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm Now, is there any way to backup individual files within a folder?
No.
I've got folder "example" that contains a file (or a few files) that I want to do incremental backups for but they don't show. Selecting the directory they're in forces you to backup all subfolders too.
Yes.

The solution to the issue is to plan the layout of your folder structure accordningly.

alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

P3R wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 pm
I edited my job (changed the start time) and QuDedup option was still greyed out.Not enabled. No change.
Maybe because I don't have any SSD's? It says that an x86 based system w SSD is recommended for Qudedup.

I formatted my USB drive a few days ago and started over. Thus the short history of past backups.
I edited my job (changed the start time) and QuDedup option was still greyed out.Not enabled. No change.
Maybe because I don't have any SSD's? It says that an x86 based system w SSD is recommended for Qudedup.

I formatted my USB drive a few days ago and started over. Thus the short history of past backups.
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108

Return to “Backup & Restore”