Qnap beginner needs help

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
RumoMM
Starting out

Qnap beginner needs help

Post by RumoMM »

Hi Qnap's

I have a lot of questions and problems with my first Qnap. So far, I figured out that the Qnap website is useless for technical details. I'm a little bit frustrated.
My Device is a TS-1685. 12X Ironwolf 12TB Raid 6. 4X Samsung 1TB SSD Raid 5. 6X Samsung 1TB M2 Raid 5.
If anyone had the same issues and got a fix, please let me know. Even Ideas how to fix them are very welcome.

PCIe Passthrough: Is it possible to Passthrough all the PCIe slots or just the first one? There is no info on the Qnap page.

PCIe Passthrough: I need to PCIe passthrough a USB controller to one of my vm's. Is it possible? There is no information on the Qnap website. They have a USB controller in the compatibility list but only for use in the Box itself. With four different cards the Box is either not booting any more or they are not available for PCIe passthrough.

PCIe Passthrough: I like to PCIe passthrough a M2 controller card for a nested Hyper-V installation, but three different cards are not available to pass through. Is it possible to do that?

USB: The Boot device of the Qnap is a USB DOM? If I connect a USB PCIe Card to one of the PCIe slots the onboard USB controller is switched off or is becoming the second one and of course the device can't boot any more. If I use a non-bootable USB controller every time you restart the VM or the box, the boot priority is changed, and you must access the bios to boot from the DOM. Do I miss something? Please tell me how to archive that.

USB: If I use a USB Switch with a Docking station behind it (or the KVM Switch) The Qnap tells me, it is not allowed to use more than three nested hubs for Storage extension. There is no storage extension involved. Is it possible to switch off the check for storage extensions to make it possible to use USB normally?

Virtualization station: Every time I restart a VM the usb devices are disconnected and not reconnected. Do I something wrong or is it the way it is working? (My machines are not logging in because the smartcard is not connected. It is not possible to use windows boot environment in the virtual machines because the USB keyboard is not connected.)
I know I can assign the devices before I start the vm's but the most of them are booting automatically. That’s just annoying.

Virtualization station: If I use a virtual machine with my KVM switch (unfortunately without USB emulation) The keyboard and mouse are disconnected when I switch to another port and not reconnected automatically. How can I archive that?

Virtualization station: How can I access the BIOS of the VM's? Every virtualizer I know can boot into the Bios. How can I do that in Qnap?

If anyone likes to help please let me know.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Qnap beginner needs help

Post by dolbyman »

most of the issues sound like you should look into a dedicated esxi/hyper-v box for your needs

- dont think the qnap supports usb card passdown
- you cannot access vm bios or uefi (you can't even choose what to use..qnap choses for you)
- the qnap had no vm automation features
RumoMM
Starting out

Post by RumoMM »

Thanks, dolbyman for that info.
We use 14 Hyper-V Hosts and 8 Synologys so far without any problems. In 8 years, I had to open 3 Tickets with Synology.
One month with the Qnap lead to 5 Tickets and one RMA.
I got tempted because it was advertised as a professional device with a professional virtualization system. To exchange the Synologys with these "Professional" Nas systems should save us 6 Hyper-V hosts.

Maybe in a few years Qnap is ready to be used in Professional Service But for now I order my next synologys.
The Qnap will be used as a learning project. So I bet I need a lot of help from professional support like you or Bob but without the pressure to use it professionally.

So if someone has ideas to solve some of my issues please let me know.

Thanks again to all the People in that Forum to be friendly and helpfull to a Qnap beginner.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Personally I've never seen Qnap or Synology as a professional replacement for a standard server/hypervisor.
RumoMM
Starting out

Post by RumoMM »

The synos are not that powerful as the dedicated hosts or the Qnap but virtual machine manager is doing a good job so far.
The Bios of the VM's is accessible.
Connected USB devices are reconnected after a reboot.
If I assign a docking station to a VM all the connected (or later connected) devices are available in the VM without assigning them. So it is possible to use it as virtual desktop.
I can assign as much USB devices as I need, not only 4.
Nested Hyper-V is not a problem

It’s just small things but a big difference in daily work.
RumoMM
Starting out

Post by RumoMM »

RumoMM wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:44 pm Hi Qnap's

I have a lot of questions and problems with my first Qnap. So far, I figured out that the Qnap website is useless for technical details. I'm a little bit frustrated.
My Device is a TS-1685. 12X Ironwolf 12TB Raid 6. 4X Samsung 1TB SSD Raid 5. 6X Samsung 1TB M2 Raid 5.
If anyone had the same issues and got a fix, please let me know. Even Ideas how to fix them are very welcome.

PCIe Passthrough: Is it possible to Passthrough all the PCIe slots or just the first one? There is no info on the Qnap page.

PCIe Passthrough: I need to PCIe passthrough a USB controller to one of my vm's. Is it possible? There is no information on the Qnap website. They have a USB controller in the compatibility list but only for use in the Box itself. With four different cards the Box is either not booting any more or they are not available for PCIe passthrough.

PCIe Passthrough: I like to PCIe passthrough a M2 controller card for a nested Hyper-V installation, but three different cards are not available to pass through. Is it possible to do that?

USB: The Boot device of the Qnap is a USB DOM? If I connect a USB PCIe Card to one of the PCIe slots the onboard USB controller is switched off or is becoming the second one and of course the device can't boot any more. If I use a non-bootable USB controller every time you restart the VM or the box, the boot priority is changed, and you must access the bios to boot from the DOM. Do I miss something? Please tell me how to archive that.

USB: If I use a USB Switch with a Docking station behind it (or the KVM Switch) The Qnap tells me, it is not allowed to use more than three nested hubs for Storage extension. There is no storage extension involved. Is it possible to switch off the check for storage extensions to make it possible to use USB normally?

Virtualization station: Every time I restart a VM the usb devices are disconnected and not reconnected. Do I something wrong or is it the way it is working? (My machines are not logging in because the smartcard is not connected. It is not possible to use windows boot environment in the virtual machines because the USB keyboard is not connected.)
I know I can assign the devices before I start the vm's but the most of them are booting automatically. That’s just annoying.

Virtualization station: If I use a virtual machine with my KVM switch (unfortunately without USB emulation) The keyboard and mouse are disconnected when I switch to another port and not reconnected automatically. How can I archive that?

Virtualization station: How can I access the BIOS of the VM's? Every virtualizer I know can boot into the Bios. How can I do that in Qnap?

If anyone likes to help please let me know.
Some of the answers I figured out myself. Hope it is usefull to someone.

It is possible

With the Qnap USB PCIe card the box is booting and PCIe passthrough is working with it

With the Qnap USB PCIe card passed through the VM this problem is solved for this VM

With the Qnap USB PCIe card passed through the VM this problem is solved for this VM

Return to “Miscellaneous”