Need help re-setting up my NAS

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
tjg123
First post

Need help re-setting up my NAS

Post by tjg123 »

Hi I am having trouble using my NAS. An IT guy helped me set it up the first time, and then I changed location. I am able to open the IP address and get onto my account and to use Qfinder. But I want to save backups on my computer, but can't access new apps in the app centre. I get:

"The system has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts, and some applications might not work properly." It tells me to go to control panels - interfaces and check if the DNS server and default gateway is correct.

I am not well versed enough to even know what this means. I looked on my Mac and found the DNS info in the network settings but have no idea what it means, or what it needs to do. It's very frustrating because I don't even know where to start.

How do I get my computer and my Qnap talking to each other thoroughly enough so that I can finally do what I bought it for? I want to backup my computer, but I have had this qnap for a year and it is too confusing.

Thanks for any help.
P3R
Guru

Re: Need help re-setting up my NAS

Post by P3R »

tjg123 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 pm "The system has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts, and some applications might not work properly." It tells me to go to control panels - interfaces and check if the DNS server and default gateway is correct.

I am not well versed enough to even know what this means.
It mean that the address of the default gateway (the router/firewall in your network) and/or DNS server (a service that translate names "qnap.com" to internet addresses "54.236.152.254" isn't properly configured on the NAS. Without having that properly configured the NAS and App Center can't communicate over the internet to get any apps.

You either need to learn very basic networking configuration or again have someone do the setup for you.

A short term workaround may be to connect to the App Center with a computer that have working internet access, tell it what you have and download the file with App you want to the computer. Then you bring up the App Center in the Qnap and install the app manually.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Re: Need help re-setting up my NAS

Post by spikemixture »

You either need to learn very basic networking configuration or again have someone do the setup for you.

What he said !! 8)
Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Drobo 5n - 5x4TB Seagate, - Drobo Raid = 15TB
ProBox 8 Bay USB3 - 49TB mixed drives - JBOD
All software is updated asap.
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:

Return to “Miscellaneous”