Fix Raid 0 on TVS 871T

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
TadaoBaba
New here

Fix Raid 0 on TVS 871T

Post by TadaoBaba »

Here's the issue I'm helping a friend with - His TVS-871T was set up with 8 10tb drives in Raid 0, and currently has about 48tb of data. A couple of the drives are showing errors, but still working.
We want to migrate to an array with Raid 6 - but there is no direct conversion with these drives in place.
Our plan is to use his TX-800P, attached to the TVS-871T, load it with 8 new 10tb drives, and create a Raid 6 volume, then copy everything on the Raid 0 volume to the Raid 6 volume. Would like to then remove the Raid 0 drives, put the Raid 6 drives in the TVS-871T, and eventually use the good, original Raid 0 drives to grow the Raid 6 volume.
Any details about best way to go about this are appreciated - and any links or help are appreciated. My search didn't find a similar transition, but I may not have searched correctly. Any help is appreciated!
MrVideo
Experience counts

Re: Fix Raid 0 on TVS 871T

Post by MrVideo »

You can't. You have to start from scratch. That is the result of not building a RAID6, within a storage pool, in the first place. You have to back everything up, externally, rebuild the system and then restore from the backup.
QTS MANUALS
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help V2
Asking a question, include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17)
QNAP md_checker nasreport (release 20210309)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
Entware
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.5.2 Build 20210202 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
Entware -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos | My 2019 N. Ireland Game of Thrones tour
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

and running raid0 without a backup strategy is just guaranteed data suicide anyways

you only use raid0 if you

a) have a super solid backup strategy in place
b) don't care about that data (there is scenarios where data on a single data node is not important)
TadaoBaba
New here

Post by TadaoBaba »

My NAS is running Raid 6, unfortunately my friend didn't have any direction or guidance when setting up. An issue is the 48tb of data, a bit too big for an external drive.
With the added capacity of more new drives in the external enclosure, can we not make a Raid 6 pool on there, and copy all the data (2 copies) from the Raid 0 to the Raid 6? The capacity is there, is there some limitation to having a Raid 0 and a Raid 6 on the same machine, and copying data over? Just curious, thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the tx enclosures are for expansion ..not standalone backups

better look for another nas to backup ..do it asap before one disk craps out
TadaoBaba
New here

Post by TadaoBaba »

How about this - is it possible to create a second storage pool with the new drives, in Raid 6, on the same machine? Two separate storage pools, same machine? One Raid 0, one Raid 6?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can start the machine from scratch with new drives

but most of the os and all config is on the dom ... so swapping the drive sets back and forth is NOT an easy task and could result in total data loss

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”