Reinstalling my QNAP TS-453A with System Volume on SSD after 3 year good idea?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
cleicher
New here

Reinstalling my QNAP TS-453A with System Volume on SSD after 3 year good idea?

Post by cleicher »

Hello all,

Last week my QNAP TS-453A(2x3TB mirror + 250SSD+3TB) SDD was running out of space and I want to replace it with a 1TB SSD. In the current config the system volume is hosted on the 2x3TB drive and running fine although the standby is not working and the settings have been change from time to time and it have been updated may times over the last 3 year. (probably the default settings are way off the current settings)

Replacing the SSD gives the opportunity to place that as first drive/slot, and install it with default setting and system volume and attach the two other volumes to that.

Question:
- Is that a good idea?
- How to mount the 2x3TB + 3TB without losing the data?
- Can I go back to the old configuration by swapping the 2x3TB back to Slot 1and 2 if I don’t like it?
Thanks a lot for answering my question.

Chris
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Reinstalling my QNAP TS-453A with System Volume on SSD after 3 year good idea?

Post by Toxic17 »

Funny - I just done something similar last night, though I had done a full initialisation and wiped all drives. my current setup was something similar and maybe even older that 3 years. I made sure I had two good backups of all data - including configs, databases, crontab and any other custom scripts all copied to - a USB drive and second NAS. Reinitialised the NAS and when the NAS came backup I then setup the m.2 SSD's as 1st system volume. I'm now currently just restoring the last remaining backups.

Code: Select all

Question:
- Is that a good idea?
- How to mount the 2x3TB + 3TB without losing the data?
- Can I go back to the old configuration by swapping the 2x3TB back to Slot 1and 2 if I don’t like it?
Thanks a lot for answering my question.
good idea, of course. it allows your qpkgs to be installed on a much faster volume. apps will react much quicker.

personally I would have thought 3x3TB raid5 would have been a better selection for the slower disks. you would still have 6TB of storage, but with resilience of RAID5. At present your single 3TB has no fallback. This is dependant on how you backup. is your single 3TB a backup drive, or do you have a separate backup solution?

Personally I would roll/go back. your setting up the system to boost performance.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
cleicher
New here

Re: Reinstalling my QNAP TS-453A with System Volume on SSD after 3 year good idea?

Post by cleicher »

Hi Toxic17,

Thanks for your first answer. I select Raid 1 over Raid 5 because rebuilding a Raid 5 after a disk failure is too dangerous with large disks. Google on Raid 5 rebuilding issues/problems. So for my movies i've no backup. My raid 1 is also backuped on onedrive.

Restoring for onedrive will take for ever so i rather try to mount my existing drives/volumes.

Is there anyone with experience / instructions how to mount a existing raid 0 on a new installation?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”