is RTRR without port forwarding possible?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
mdhz13
New here

is RTRR without port forwarding possible?

Post by mdhz13 »

Hello
(I am not a complete tech expert, so I hope the following question makes sense...)
I am using a QNAP TS-451 in my office and would like to use a dedicated QNAP TS-251 at my home as an off-site backup. Problem is that my ISP does not allow port forwarding. At home I use internet through a 4G Huawei router (no landline) and even though I can enter port-forwarding settings (called "virtual server" with the Huawei E5770) the ISP has a permanent firewall that blocks this. Whenever I test (with online tools) if a port is open, I get a negative message (even though I have opened / forwarded it).

Is there any way to do off-site back-up (RTRR or versioning) that I can set up without relying on port forwarding?
thank you for any support
M Herz
OneCD
Guru

Re: is RTRR without port forwarding possible?

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
mdhz13 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm Is there any way to do off-site back-up (RTRR or versioning) that I can set up without relying on port forwarding?
You're presently trying to 'push' the data from your office NAS to your home NAS.

You might try creating the backup job in a 'pull' configuration. The job is run only from your home NAS and 'pulls' the data from your office NAS. Suggest using a VPN between the two. You still need to forward ports, but only at the office end.

Also: 4G? Hope you have a good data-plan. :DD

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mdhz13
New here

Post by mdhz13 »

Dear OneCD
that's a great idea. Thanks.
But how do I do a 'pull' configuration? When I go to RTRR / "Create Replication Job", and chose 'Backup' then the option of remote folder to local folder is greyed out.
thank you for any help on this
M Herz
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Sorry, I don’t have access to the current QTS backup utilities so I’ve no idea what options are on-offer. Maybe someone else can advise?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

mdhz13 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:57 pm Dear OneCD
that's a great idea. Thanks.
But how do I do a 'pull' configuration? When I go to RTRR / "Create Replication Job", and chose 'Backup' then the option of remote folder to local folder is greyed out.
thank you for any help on this
M Herz
is RTRR enabled on the office NAS?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
mdhz13
New here

Post by mdhz13 »

Toxic17 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:25 pm
is RTRR enabled on the office NAS?
Yes, RTRR is enabled on the office NAS
actually on both NASs

thanks, M Herz
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

mdhz13 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm Yes, RTRR is enabled on the office NAS
... and did you establish port-forwarding at the office end?

mdhz13
New here

Post by mdhz13 »

OneCD wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:14 am ... and did you establish port-forwarding at the office end?
Yes, this is all working.

So... how can my home NAS pull the data from my office NAS ?? I did not find anything on the forums that tells me how to do this.
any help is much appreciated!
M Herz
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

@P3R has just posted a solution that may work for you: viewtopic.php?p=726808#p726808

Return to “Backup & Restore”