Internal Network with TR-002 + Standard Router is the Best Simple Solution for Storage

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
cuneiform
Starting out

Internal Network with TR-002 + Standard Router is the Best Simple Solution for Storage

Post by cuneiform »

Any discs delivered from a store need to be initialized through OS by choosing NTFS or FAT or exFat file system, standard sector size (default), thus formatting those, after which a letter will be assigned to the volume.

The matter is that discs over 2 TB will not be recognized with any older BIOS firmware. However, my solution helps to overcome such and related problems inherent to all old computers and QTS models as a whole.

A bundle made out of a USB enclosure and a standard router nearly always already available makes it to a FTP server w i t h o u t any software (sic!) thus making it to an internal network w i t h o u t QTS (nota bene!).

The way out is to link the USB enclosure with a lot of TBs not to the computer, but to the router, and then to address the USB enclosure from any computer outwards within the natural network as a part of the FTP server made out of the router. Provided that your router does have a USB port / slot.

What is the transfer rate? - Say, 3 Gb within 40 min , as a variety of small files up to several MB's or even less. Thus, the number of files amounted from some 3,000 to max. 30,000 ones or so.

It is exceptionally reliable as compared to any QTS models, does not need any updates, does not have any power consumption. The reliability is the key problem of all storage devices.
Introducing an intermediate OS like QTS only makes it worse by itself.

The more important thing is that you can work with any OS possible: From Win 98 toward Win 10 at one and the same time while using all your old PCs, notebooks, net-books, etc. you ever had while working within the internal network w i t h o u t QTS , which requires a lot of things to be fulfilled, as e.g., a relatively modern computer, errorless software, controlled updates, virus control enabled, additional power consumption, hard & software interference or compatibilities, etc. Do you really want to go them all through?!
P3R
Guru

Re: Internal Network with TR-002 + Standard Router is the Best Simple Solution for Storage

Post by P3R »

Your claim that a router does not need any updates is not only very incorrect, it's also dangerous! :roll:

There have been countless flawed router firmwares leading to hijacked routers and that's the device that you won't update. In addition to that, you attach your complete data storage to that high risk device. I'm sorry but you're a danger to yourself. :cry:

It's people that run outdated software that supply much of the resources the criminals need to run their botnets!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
cuneiform
Starting out

Re: Internal Network with TR-002 + Standard Router is the Best Simple Solution for Storage

Post by cuneiform »

P3R wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm Your claim that a router does not need any updates is not only very incorrect, it's also dangerous! :roll:

There have been countless flawed router firmwares leading to hijacked routers and that's the device that you won't update. In addition to that, you attach your complete data storage to that high risk device. I'm sorry but you're a danger to yourself. :cry:

It's people that run outdated software that supply much of the resources the criminals need to run their botnets!
I'm sorry to mention, too, that you are trying to criminalize the thinking of you own.

I am changing my OS once in two decades on one and the same computer, re-installing the OS once a decade, I never change a firmware, I do not run an anti-virus, though merely adding a new computer any time I wish to, now amounting them up to 10 or 12 or so. So far, I have never been hijacked. Why should I?!

To conduct a university life at the top level among the professorship you needn't to have a criminalized thinking. That's the way you are trying to implement. The human existence shouldn't be devoted to any criminal life even partially. Otherwise, you would have to turn to paper and a type-writer. As any document can be copied digitally now. Or hijacked. Or else pirated.

Even servers of the Democratic and / or the Republican party and those of the Pentagon and those of the White House have been reported as being hijacked from time to time. Would that imply that they should turn back to paper and a type-writer? - There is no remedy against that criminal thinking anyway.

If you are not a professional, even do not think to devote your life to any hard- & software!

Do as if there are none at all in the world, and do become a top ranked university researcher!

Just buy from time to time a new computer as a present to you yourself, adding it to your collection. Then, switch off any updates immediately and forget it forever. As some updates could ruin your computer completely, it was the case once last year (like Win 10).

This way you could have a chance not to become a looser, you wife with children will never quite you due to a new firm- or software or anti-virus. You will spend you life as calm as possible. Forget your computer related troubles. Devote your life to beautiful things like nice females, music, paintings, books, wine, cars, sports, and voyages!

Regards.

PS. There are 3 updates for the TR-002 firmware this year. I consider it a shame.
This way you will never be a university supervisor if being constantly involved into system updates every day! As the consequences that will follow are not transparent at the moment.
They call this policy "Do as the Queen Victoria did!" (i.e. do nothing). So clever it is.
So, no updates. More over, no thinking this way. Till you get a new hardware some day.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I'm afraid you are deluding yourself into a false sense of security.
Or trolling.
P3R is correct to highlight the risks associated with router vulnerabilities.
They are, after all, directly connected to the internet, so are a good target for the hackbots.
Huge numbers have been compromised over the last few years.

Do yourself a favour and try some google searches on the topic.
For example : router exploits metasploit
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I'm just curious as to why the importance of making a statement with red, black and blue text. does the user think it is going to make a statement any more important on a community forum?

I wonder if we see more nonsense being spoofed here
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
cuneiform
Starting out

Post by cuneiform »

Toxic17 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:10 pm I'm just curious as to why the importance of making a statement with red, black and blue text. does the user think it is going to make a statement any more important on a community forum?

I wonder if we see more nonsense being spoofed here
I've never been as much curious to learn why some people are asking a newbie what for there are different text colors provided so far. :lol:

My idea would be: Just to make use of them!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi P3R and Toxic17 -
and exactly why do you even respond to a post like this ? Slow day ?

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Bob Zelin wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:15 am Hi P3R and Toxic17 -
and exactly why do you even respond to a post like this ? Slow day ?

Bob Zelin
something like that :roll: :lol:
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “Users' Corner”