PLanned Upgrade and migration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
tribunal3117
Getting the hang of things

PLanned Upgrade and migration

Post by tribunal3117 »

Pieces of this seem to have been answered, but not as a whole, so I figured I'd see if someone here could help me put them all together. I'm beginning to plan an upgrade of my NAS. I currently have a TS-851 with 5 HDD drives (1 as a hot spare) and 1 SSD for flash. The 5 drives are in a single "legacy" volume configured as RAID5. I use it for both raw file storage which leverages SMB and NFS, and also iSCSI with file-based LUNs for the backend of my vmware ESXi server.

What I would like to do is upgrade the NAS without losing any configuration or apps. This is partially because I use CrashPlan for my cloud backup solution, and migrating with a fresh start could result in having to reupload (or more likely restore from the cloud) all 7TB of backed up data. Not what I want. I understand such an upgrade can be done by moving the disks from one enclosure to another and keeping them in the same physical order. However, I'm still faced with another problem, which is that this would still be a legacy volume, and I'd like to prepare for moving beyond 16TB at some point, as well as leverage block-based iSCSI LUNs. Is there a way to migrate the existing legacy volume to a storage pool? I'm not talking about conversion, but migration. I have enough bays, if I remove the hot spare or disable flash, that I could create a new RAID5 disk group and storage pool with more than enough space to migrate the exiting volume. I do not know if this is possible however.
P3R
Guru

Re: PLanned Upgrade and migration

Post by P3R »

tribunal3117 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 am Is there a way to migrate the existing legacy volume to a storage pool?
No, legacy volumes are unfortunately a dead end. They're very limited and can't be migrated into anything else.

I recommend a storage pool and a thick volume on that.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tribunal3117
Getting the hang of things

Re: PLanned Upgrade and migration

Post by tribunal3117 »

Well, that stinks. How about a different approach? Is there a way to move the system (apps, settings, permissions, NFS/SMB share info, etc.) to a different volume? Create a storage pool with a different raid group and then move the system and configuration there?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”