Intel J3455 and some other Apollo Lake CPU's may die early. BAD NEWS!

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
xman1
Know my way around

Re: Intel J3455 and some other Apollo Lake CPU's may die early. BAD NEWS!

Post by xman1 »

Check it. Guy has a Steel Legend and he bought the Rev 1 card and plugged it in and it works fine: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comment ... 3_aic_r20/

Note the NVMe issue. I bet it uses the same lanes that his NVMe is using, so he should use the secondary slot for the NVMe instead which will use different lanes.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

all tb3 are using usb type c ?

but how is asrock bios? i liked asus bios. I'm not sure how the other brands are doing. and what are their bios update policy like? asus stopped updating ivy bridge. but i think some other brands at that time updated even on ivy bridge

here is a roundup i found kinda
AMD’s Next-Gen X570 Chipset – First Mainstream Platform To Support PCIe Gen 4, Feature Rich and Ready For Ryzen 3000 CPUs
As we saw with X470, there were a few features for the Ryzen 2000 series processors which were only supported by new motherboards such as Precision Boost Overdrive and XFR 2.0. There’s no doubt that AMD’s Zen 2 based Ryzen mainstream processor family would come with new features but the main highlight would be support for PCIe Gen4. The X570 platform will be an all PCIe Gen4 solution, which means this would most probably be the first consumer platform to feature support for the new PCIe standard.
https://wccftech.com/amd-x570-motherboa ... l-biostar/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am all tb3 are using usb type c ?

but how is asrock bios? i liked asus bios. I'm not sure how the other brands are doing. and what are their bios update policy like? asus stopped updating ivy bridge. but i think some other brands at that time updated even on ivy bridge

here is a roundup i found kinda
AMD’s Next-Gen X570 Chipset – First Mainstream Platform To Support PCIe Gen 4, Feature Rich and Ready For Ryzen 3000 CPUs
As we saw with X470, there were a few features for the Ryzen 2000 series processors which were only supported by new motherboards such as Precision Boost Overdrive and XFR 2.0. There’s no doubt that AMD’s Zen 2 based Ryzen mainstream processor family would come with new features but the main highlight would be support for PCIe Gen4. The X570 platform will be an all PCIe Gen4 solution, which means this would most probably be the first consumer platform to feature support for the new PCIe standard.
https://wccftech.com/amd-x570-motherboa ... l-biostar/
The BIOS looked pretty good, but I do not have experience with Asrock as of yet to make a full comment about it. It is definitely sufficient for my needs from what I can see.

All of my boards up until my last one have been ASUS, but every one of them had some bug that was of a minor annoyance. The last one was a RAID bug that drove me nuts.

So the current board I have is a Gigabyte, and while it is a decent build, it has a problem if you plug in as many USB devices as I have and it will not initialize them all at times when you boot up, so I have to unplug and replug USB devices on occasion to get them to be recognized. I found if I downgrade the BIOS to a rev earlier that the problem is far less pronounced, but not gone.

So I am looking to try something new. Everyone raves about this Steel Legend series so I am willing to take a look I think.
Not many reviews on it yet, but there are a couple: https://www.funkykit.com/reviews/mother ... -review/8/

Not sure on the connector for the TB that you refer to.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

same here, mostly asus. even the popularity polls say asus... xd

i haven't used raid on my pc for a long time, i use jbod basic mostly. in the end i mostly my stuff for permananet storage on the qnap (4x4tb raid5).

wow.... that usb thing sounds pretty wonky.

that legend looks pretty good. ps port do people still use that? is that a single usb type c port i see (does it support thunderbolt or is it just usb)?

nm found it
For connectivity, you get DisplayPort, HDMI, PS/2 keyboard and mouse port, 6 x USB 3.1, 2 x USB 3.2 (both Type-A and Type-C Thunderbolt 3). There’s also the Intel gigabit ethernet LAN, and the usual array of connectors for 7.1 HD audio.
oo some motherboards they have a tb head so you can later purchase an addon card to add tb support later on. By the way i spotted this niggle of info, not sure how i missed this
Thunderbolt 3 AIC Header
Thunderbolt 3 is no longer limited to certain chipset, ASRock is the first motherboard manufacturer to skillfully implement the Thunderbolt 3 technology onto AMD X570 motherboards. All you need is a Thunderbolt 3 AIC R2.0 card!
so if that single type c usb is thunderbolt 3 capable, then does that mean you don't need to purchase the addon card? :'
https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product. ... AIC%20R2.0

anyway the new PCIE 4.0 seems to run hotter, not sure if passive cooling can it or not. but most on the comments seem to want passive cooling to avoid the fans that use more power or may eventually wear out at some point. i'm mostly concerned if the cooling is sufficient for PCIE 4.0 firstly.

ooo Realtek ALC1220 :)

Why Nobody Buys Sound Cards Anymore?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqip0qw2LA

they mention ecc support but only with the amd pro series cpus

Ryzen vs Ryzen Pro Explained!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DhgiL8iQs

the 1gbe intel port is pretty good, but these days you can also spot 2.5gbe port on the motherboard. but then you'd probably still need a switch to benefit from that won't you. i'm just wondering if there is a motherboard with roughly same price point and features like this but with 2.5gbe or better :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

Just a note... I now have the new BIOS that mitigates the Intel Apollo Lake hardware problem:

[~] # dmidecode -s bios-version
SAG5AR18

Anyone that is running an Apollo Lake Intel processor should open a ticket with QNAP to get a new BIOS.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Just an update
Intel retracts Apollo Lake warning, discounts claims of reliability issues

Intel published documentation indicating a major CPU flaw similar to the 2016 Silvermont C2000 bug, though retracted it claiming the issues were fixed in firmware update for already-deployed CPUs.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/in ... ty-issues/

problem solved
NAS

Network

Resources
lexvo
Know my way around

Post by lexvo »

xman1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:22 am Just a note... I now have the new BIOS that mitigates the Intel Apollo Lake hardware problem:

SAG5AR18

Anyone that is running an Apollo Lake Intel processor should open a ticket with QNAP to get a new BIOS.
I get this on my TS-453Be:
# dmidecode -s bios-version
QY47AR54

Is this older?
TS-453Be with FW 5.1.5.2645 build 20240116, 4GB RAM, 4x WD Red 4TB RAID 5
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

You are using a different NAS. A TS-453Be is a later model than mine so it will have a different BIOS.
jewbsv
New here

Post by jewbsv »

xman1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:22 am Just a note... I now have the new BIOS that mitigates the Intel Apollo Lake hardware problem:

SAG5AR18

What is your device?
haumichblau
Getting the hang of things

Post by haumichblau »

Hello,

I have a TS-453Be. My BIOS version is QY47AR54.

Is this version OK?

Best regards,
Christian
qrusher
Know my way around

Post by qrusher »

2) For BIOS version QT47AR5* or QY59AR5*,there is no need to proceed BIOS update
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
haumichblau

Post by haumichblau »

qrusher wrote:2) For BIOS version QT47AR5* or QY59AR5*,there is no need to proceed BIOS update
Where can I get an actual BIOS version?

Best regards,
Christian
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

haumichblau wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 am Where can I get an actual BIOS version?

Best regards,
Christian
via SSH do

Code: Select all

dmidecode -t bios -q
haumichblau

Post by haumichblau »

Hello,

but where can I download the actual BIOS for flashing the NAS?

Or isn‘t it possible to update the BIOS?

Best regards,
Christian
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

it's a mix of

QNAP will send it to you on request
and
QNAP will not send it to you even when you need it

so you gotta contact them and try your luck

Return to “Users' Corner”