Iscsi disconnects

iSCSI related applications
pedro.arce
First post

Iscsi disconnects

Post by pedro.arce »

I am having a problem with the ISCSI that I connect from my Qnap NAS, it connects correctly, but after some time it disconnects automatically, I have tried CHAP authentication and without it but the same thing happens to me, what I have seen in the viewer of Events are the following errors and warnings:
- Connection to the lost destination. The initiator will retry the connection - Event ID: 20 - Source: ISCSI
- The initiator could not send an iSCSI PDU. The error status is indicated in the dump data. - Event Id: 7 - Origin: ISCSI
- Initiator error connecting to destination. The destination IP address and TCP port number are indicated in the dump data - Event ID: 1 - Source: ISCSI
- Error detected in the device \ Device \ Harddisk2 \ DR2 during a paging operation. Event Id: 51 - Source: Disk

Any idea how to fix this
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Iscsi disconnects

Post by storageman »

Does it ping when the connection is lost?
I suspect a network issue.
Try connecting direct to host server with 169.x.x.x address and see if this also disconnects.
focher
Starting out

Post by focher »

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have two different QNAP NAS devices with iSCSI volumes available. One of them is now, after more than a year, periodically making the volume unavailable. It gets disconnected from the client (a Mac Pro) and then reconnects. The log merely shows a "logout" then a "login".
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

focher wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 am Did you ever resolve this issue? I have two different QNAP NAS devices with iSCSI volumes available. One of them is now, after more than a year, periodically making the volume unavailable. It gets disconnected from the client (a Mac Pro) and then reconnects. The log merely shows a "logout" then a "login".
What ISCSI Mac software are u using?
focher
Starting out

Post by focher »

storageman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 pm
focher wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 am Did you ever resolve this issue? I have two different QNAP NAS devices with iSCSI volumes available. One of them is now, after more than a year, periodically making the volume unavailable. It gets disconnected from the client (a Mac Pro) and then reconnects. The log merely shows a "logout" then a "login".
What ISCSI Mac software are u using?
GlobalSAN iSCSI Initiator. I don't think it's on the client side, as I have two different QNAP NAS devices with iSCSI volumes that the same client is connected to. One doesn't exhibit the disconnects at all, but the other does and it's getting more frequent. I even tried adding CHAP Authentication but that had no effect whatsoever. Is there a more detailed log on the NAS I could be looking at?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Difficult one to troubleshoot.
Chap is just a complication.
Are they both using block LUNs?
Does it still ping when ISCSI disconnects?
Tried different ports/cables?
Both have same model/firmware?
focher
Starting out

Post by focher »

Totally agree. I just started, so I believe it's something in the latest QNAP firmware for the TS-563 (firmware 4.4.1.1117) exhibiting the problem. The SS-439 I also have is not having the issue.

I removed CHAP. Ping continues even during the disconnect, no issues at the switch (10 Gig). I'm narrowing it down to the QNAP network stack, as it appears to lose the connection briefly (but not detected by any missed pings) because an ssh session will get dropped at the same time.
focher
Starting out

Post by focher »

I am embarrassed to say it, but I resolved the issue. It was my own fault. I had misconfigured a Docker container in Container Station to use the same IP address as the NAS so they were stepping on each other's IP address.

To the OP, I would look in the NAS's System Logs - System Connection Logs under Control Panel and make sure it's logging connections for iSCSI (it's a checkbox). See if the NAS says why it's disconnecting.

I doubt your root cause is the same as mine, but at least you can determine why the NAS thinks the iSCSI volume is being disconnected.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

focher wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:42 am I am embarrassed to say it, but I resolved the issue. It was my own fault. I had misconfigured a Docker container in Container Station to use the same IP address as the NAS so they were stepping on each other's IP address.

To the OP, I would look in the NAS's System Logs - System Connection Logs under Control Panel and make sure it's logging connections for iSCSI (it's a checkbox). See if the NAS says why it's disconnecting.

I doubt your root cause is the same as mine, but at least you can determine why the NAS thinks the iSCSI volume is being disconnected.
In my experience a lot of fixes are done when you bounce things off other people!

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”