Expanding upgraded Raid Group w/ Raid 1 using Replace Disk one by one after not having it done it initially

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
lynnymoore
New here

Expanding upgraded Raid Group w/ Raid 1 using Replace Disk one by one after not having it done it initially

Post by lynnymoore »

I have TVS-882 with Raid Group 3, 4 & 5 on Raid 1. Raid Group 3 and Raid Group 5 are using identical 6 TB drives. The capacity listing for Raid Group 3 is 5.45 TB while the capacity listing for Raid Group 5 is 922.02 GB. Can anyone explain why they are different? Did I setup Raid Group 5 wrong or not expand it properly? Thank you for any insights. I have attached JPGs from Disks/VJBOD windows.viewtopic.php?f=25&t=150347
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lynnymoore on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
P3R
Guru

Re: Raid 1 Raid Group 3 Capacity Listed different from Raid Group 4 same drives

Post by P3R »

lynnymoore wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 am ...or not expand it properly?
Probably. What's the history?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
lynnymoore
New here

Re: Raid 1 Raid Group 3 Capacity Listed different from Raid Group 4 same drives

Post by lynnymoore »

For anyone with this type of question - how to expand a Raid Group after replacing disk one by one and not choosing Expand during the process. You can go back to Replacing Disks one by one in Storage Pool Management and Select the Raid Group you want to expand and then choose Manage. The problem I had was 1.) Confusion about re selecting Replace Disks on by one because I was afraid it would immediately start removing the disk. Instead of selecting a particular disk and choosing to remove it, look down to the option to Expand it instead. It will then begin a process called "Synchronizing" and will take a LONG time depending on the size of your disks in the Raid Group. For me, it said over 12 hours. 2.) The Manage button for the Volume is easily view-able for selecting, but the Manage button for the individual Raid Group is NOT. You will need to raise the view with the Horizontal window bar to see it and select it. Then the option to Replace Disk one by one will be available. Click on it and you will have the option to Expand the raid group. See https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ty-upgrade for clear instructions (unlike mine probably) except instead of replacing the disk choose Expand instead.
For the life of me I am stubborn about figuring things out for myself instead of simply looking through the tutorials for answers. Don't be like me. Now if I can just figure out how to get Plex Server to work properly. :)
mlai
Starting out

Re: Expanding upgraded Raid Group w/ Raid 1 using Replace Disk one by one after not having it done it initially

Post by mlai »

I did this with a SSD RAID1 array and clicking on expand does not increase the RAID capacity despite telling me the expansion process starts and ends in 30 secs......
P3R
Guru

Re: Expanding upgraded Raid Group w/ Raid 1 using Replace Disk one by one after not having it done it initially

Post by P3R »

RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”