Mapping QNAP and Windows file explorer

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
keid91
Starting out

Mapping QNAP and Windows file explorer

Post by keid91 »

Hello,
I have question related to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKQzPGzErY
If I set something similar in QNAP TS-231P, does someone who are logged into NAS by myQNAPcloud (outside local network), are able to navigate through files (.jpg files to be specific), in the impression that these files are on the disk while they are not? Of course, everything under the slowdown resulting from access to files via the Internet. I mean without downloading them, as on mapped FTP in network location (windows 10).
Do I need OpenVPN for that?

Second question is, can I set rights to specific myQNAPcloud user, who are logged in to my NAS, which folders are visible and which not.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Mapping QNAP and Windows file explorer

Post by dolbyman »

that is currently (more than normal) a VERY bad idea, do not expose your NAS to the web

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150861
keid91
Starting out

Post by keid91 »

:?
I have spent whole day on research and now Im not sure if I even want to buy NAS. Anyway, could you answer my question?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

to connect to your NAS use a VPN connection. The server can be setup via NAS or (VPN capable) router

if you want to set it up on the NAS, here is an official guide
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -qvpn-2-0/

user management is the same no matter if local or VPN users access the files. (all described in the manual)
keid91
Starting out

Post by keid91 »

Thank you,
What about navigate through files? Is something like click *next*, *next* is avaible? While I have mapped FTP, *open* on .jpg files performs download file on disk. I hope you know what I mean.

Ok, so for "safe" use of NAS I need VPN. Do I need more than one VPN? I mean how many numbers of device I need to purchase? More than one for my Router/NAS if I want to connect by lots of devices?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as soon as the VPN connection is established, you can navigate the NAS the same way as in your local network (even the IP remains the same, so you can keep existing drive maps from the local network)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

keid91 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:55 am Ok, so for "safe" use of NAS I need VPN. Do I need more than one VPN? I mean how many numbers of device I need to purchase? More than one for my Router/NAS if I want to connect by lots of devices?
To clarify: @dolbyman is not suggesting you use a paid VPN service provider. He's instead suggesting you create your own free VPN server instance on your LAN.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
keid91
Starting out

Post by keid91 »

Lets say:
Router without VPN
QNAP NAS with VPN
Dekstop (local network) without VPN
Laptop (external network) without VPN

If I connect to NAS by IP on laptop (mapped network localisation). Is that connection safe?
OneCD wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:07 am To clarify: @dolbyman is not suggesting you use a paid VPN service provider. He's instead suggesting you create your own free VPN server instance on your LAN.
Do you mean QNAP provide create VPN server? In this case IP would change, so mapping disk wouldnt be achieved without problems. Thats why I wanted to use myqnapcloud.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as you can see in the guide I posted a link to earlier, qnap provides multiple VPN servers (PPTP,IPsec,OpenVPN)

as as mentioned earlier, the internal IP of your NAS is reachable via the VPN connection

so, let's say your NAS is 192.168.1.100, that IP will be accessible from LAN users and VPN users the same way

you can still use myqnapcloud for your DDNS (unless you have a fixed IP at your NAS location)
keid91
Starting out

Post by keid91 »

So if I set VPN server on NAS, do I need VPN on devices (external network) to connect to NAS?
dolbyman wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:19 amyou can still use myqnapcloud for your DDNS (unless you have a fixed IP at your NAS location)
In first post you wrote its bad idea.
Well I think Im confused now. Did you want to say in first post, that I shouldn't use myqnapcloud without setting VPN on NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

keid91 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 am So if I set VPN server on NAS, do I need VPN on devices (external network) to connect to NAS?
Yes of course
keid91 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 am
In first post you wrote its bad idea.
Well I think Im confused now. Did you want to say in first post, that I shouldn't use myqnapcloud without setting VPN on NAS?
A connection without a VPN (exposing FTP,HTTP,etc to the WWW) is a BAD idea , that doesn't stop people from doing it .. and then they get hacked
keid91
Starting out

Post by keid91 »

Ok to sum up.

- I can set VPN on QNAP for free.
- I can connect to QNAP by given IP from VPN (it will by dynamic right?) on devices with VPN.
- I can still use myQNAPcloud (while VPN is set), but I can only connect on devices with VPN, if I want to connect safely.

So I have to pay for:
VPN on all devices I want to connect with NAS if VPN is set on NAS
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

keid91 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:01 am Ok to sum up.

- I can set VPN on QNAP for free.
- I can connect to QNAP by given IP from VPN (it will by dynamic right?) on devices with VPN.
- I can still use myQNAPcloud (while VPN is set), but I can only connect on devices with VPN, if I want to connect safely.
- correct
- depends if your IP is dynamic or fixed, if dynamic use a DDNS (you could use QNAPcloud DDNS)
- see above, only use VPN do not expose any other services
keid91 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:01 am So I have to pay for:
VPN on all devices I want to connect with NAS if VPN is set on NAS
nothing you have to pay for
keid91
Starting out

Post by keid91 »

:?
So how can I use VPN on laptop (external network), to connect with NAS using "myQNAPcloud Connect" without paying for VPN on laptop?

Crucial question, becasue I think you mistunderstood me. I wanted to install "myQNAPcloud Connect" on laptop. Doesnt this app provide VPN connect to NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

only thing you have to pay for, is the laptop and however you use the internet (wifi hotspot of Starbucks, 4G,LTE,5G,etc .. be aware that some mobile providers block VPN to make extra $$$ on their business plans)

no need for any qnap program to install, the normal openVPN connect app works just fine
https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”