multiple VLANs on one NIC (trunking)

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
auroch
New here

Re: multiple VLANs on one NIC (trunking)

Post by auroch »

When i bought my QNAP, i thought it was an enterprise class NAS, now i see that fails with things like it.
This is a MUST. It'll come some day?
guner
First post

Post by guner »

The Problem is similar to synology, but there exist a solution im forum and for qnap it shouuld be the same:

https://joffer.blogspot.com/2014/06/how ... ap_26.html

My opinion: If it possible use freenas. You have to invest more money, because you need freebsd compatible hardware, but for the use in a business enviroment you should have some coins more.

Hardware vendor: miniserver.it, sysgen.de, thomas-krenn.de, ixsystems.com, with prior testing HP Microserver (very cheap)
ZipTX
New here

Post by ZipTX »

+1 ... pretty critical feature especially to leverage a 10G card
eguitton
Starting out

Post by eguitton »

I join the others on that feature, highly awaited ! After being able to do LACP with NICs, the next immediate thing I would try to setup would be multiple vlans, either at the cisco way (trunk 802.1Q all), or the HP vania (Untag (access port) default vlan + multiple tagged (802.1q) vlans).
When I first saw I couldn't get this ability, was quite shocked :/
Just a random Data & Network tech guy.
heronimus
Getting the hang of things

Post by heronimus »

I was searching for options to configure VLAN in the virtual switch... Then i found this thread... what a disappointment, it isn't there at all. I hope QNAP will include a more advanced VLAN in their roadmap.
ccolotti
Starting out

Post by ccolotti »

Still amazed this is not in QTS...this is networking 101...not sure why QNAP is ignoring this feature need.
casw1000

Post by casw1000 »

+1 on this feature. I setup virtualization station on two of my 3 qnaps, having installed dual 10Gb interfaces then spending hours on thinking what I was doing wrong. Alas, trunking is not supported. Seriously QNAP, I love your hadware / QTS, but please, implement this feature into QTS and make the true power of the vQTS and Virtualization realised. Thanks.
zipler
Know my way around

Post by zipler »

Any update on when this will be implemented?

I just got an email (advertisement) for a new QXG-10G2T-107. 10Gb nics without vlan trunking is mostly a waste.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

zipler wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:03 pm 10Gb nics without vlan trunking is mostly a waste.
I don't disagree with the feature request but that's NOT true.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
AZeroEight
Starting out

Post by AZeroEight »

Don't understand they put so much effort in putting "advanced" features into their software and don't cover the basics and this is really a pretty basic feature seeing the power of what it can do.
Zabo4
Starting out

Post by Zabo4 »

I don't know when this changed but on my TS-832X running QTS 4.4.1.1064 - I don't know when it changed but now I see "Add VLAN" as an adapter option below "Configure" in the ellipsis menu on the Network & Virtual Switch page. I was able to add multiple VLANs to a single adapter.

I can't find any documentation on the change (and indeed the help page still discusses "Enable VLAN" on the VLAN tab in the configuration menu even though that tab no longer exists).

In any case, this is very exciting!
QNAP Multiple VLANs.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trendchiller
Easy as a breeze

Post by trendchiller »

good news...
4.3.6.1070 did not have this - I just checked ;-)
trendchiller
Easy as a breeze

multiple VLANs on one NIC (trunking)

Post by trendchiller »

On all my 4.4.1 capable QNAPs available now.
Seems as if QNAP introduced this silently.

But really sad it‘s not available for 4.3.6 (legacy) devices.
JBBERLIN

Re: multiple VLANs on one NIC (trunking) SOLVED! - Can be close

Post by JBBERLIN »

In 4.4.1 is it done ! :)
Actual:

1x TS-EC1279U-RP @ Xeon E3-1275 QuadCore & 16 GByte ECC RAM ;-) / 10x Constellation ES.2 2TB @ RAID6 + 2x Intel 530 SSD4Cache
2x TS-EC1680U-RP V2 @ Xeon E3-1275L v3 & 32 GByte ECC RAM;) / 6x HGST Helium 8TB @ RAID10 + 2x Samsung 850 mSATA SSD Cache + 10x Sandisk X400 1TB SSD
1x TVS-682 @ i7-6700T & 64 GByte RAM / 4x HGST 6TB @ RAID 10 + 2x m2 SSD SANDISK X400 1TB + 2x SANDISK X400 1TB SATA SSD

My QNAP History:
2x 509 CPU,RAM and 6HDD Mod / 809U CPU & RAM Mod / TS470 CPU & RAM ProMod / TVS471 CPU & RAM Mod / 879Pro Xeon CPU & ECC RAM & Fan EC Mod / 3x 471U-SP CPU & RAM Mod / HS251 No Mod! ;)
liberomic
New here

Post by liberomic »

Hi all,

With the latest version QTS 4.4.1.1101 build 20191025, trunking with vlan does not working.
After firmware upgrade the nas ip on interface tagged is unreachable.
I have followed some tests, and in some cases the tag interface does not work after reboot, or not work at first activation.
I have noted the trunk interface will be created only tagged and I can't create virtual adapter on untag ID 1, and other virtual adapter on tag interface. The application container does not see the virtual switch on trunking interface.

Qnap please solve this bugs!!!

Regards
Liberomic

Tested on TS-253be

Return to “Features Wanted”