Shared QSync or other cloud setup?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Soundy
Starting out

Shared QSync or other cloud setup?

Post by Soundy »

I'm trying to help a friend set up a private cloud for some of his clients: He wants the clients each to have a folder on their computer that they can drop files in, and then he'll have access to all the folders from his own computer (whether in his own synced folder, or directly through QTS). He's running a TS-228.

I've tried QSync on my machine, synced files into it, in hopes I could view them in File Station from the admin account, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

In Google Drive or Dropbox, you can share a folder with other users... but I haven't found a way to do that either, as there seem to be no sharing options in QSync Client.

Do I need a different app, or is there a way to do this in QSync? He's mildly computer literate, but I don't want to make this overly complicated (ie. setting each client up with a VPN into his TS-228 and then a network drive, isn't an option).
Soundy
Starting out

Re: Shared QSync or other cloud setup?

Post by Soundy »

Anyone? Bueller?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Have a look at Myqnapcloud and Cloudlink

https://www.qnap.com/solution/cloudlink/en/
Soundy
Starting out

Post by Soundy »

That's all web-based though. I need something that will be easy for very-non-computer-literate people to deal with - a simple "drop your files in this desktop folder" interface like you get with Dropbox or GDrive.

OwnCloud does it but I'm having issues getting that to work.

QSync does it but I can't figure out a way for the administrator to see all the users' folders, even if that's just in the web interface.

I would normally just suggest GDrive or Dropbox, but because they're dealing with financial info, the admin doesn't want to go with public cloud services, hence why he bought the QNAP so he could keep it competely in-house.
socalTurnip
Starting out

Post by socalTurnip »

Soundy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am That's all web-based though. I need something that will be easy for very-non-computer-literate people to deal with - a simple "drop your files in this desktop folder" interface like you get with Dropbox or GDrive.

OwnCloud does it but I'm having issues getting that to work.

QSync does it but I can't figure out a way for the administrator to see all the users' folders, even if that's just in the web interface.

I would normally just suggest GDrive or Dropbox, but because they're dealing with financial info, the admin doesn't want to go with public cloud services, hence why he bought the QNAP so he could keep it competely in-house.

So reviewing the settings/config, I didn't like how I can't 'access' the files in the default home folder from Qsync via network share. With this Qsync feature, I want the files accessible so that I could open them in a network share and view them.
I had a Backups folder on the / directory.
inside the Backups folder, I made a user folder + QS (UserNameQS) and then created subfolders for device type.
From there, I granted the group HomeShare access to read/write to the UserName folder. (UserName folder is a shared folder).
My full mobile directory is: /Backups/UserName/Mobile/MobileType/
When using the Qsync app, I can only see two shares, /Backups and /UserName.
When I select /UserName and backup some test data, I expect that the files will reside in /Backups/UserName/ but they actually do show up under /Backups/UserName/Mobile/MobileType/
This is odd and I can't seem to figure that out. Maybe I'm over-complicating things but I find the QNAP interface sometimes a bit confusing.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”