Photos:0
Videos:0
Music:0
SandraLou
New here

Re: DLNA not showing files

Post by SandraLou »

This might be interesting:
So, a Qnap support tech told me that this is by desing for the new Multimedia architecture in QTS 4.4.1. Only if you install the Video/Photo/Music Stations you can add Contents for them in Content Management panel and after you organize the files using the Stations app then you can see them with DLNA. You have to create a correct organization and some collections with the Stations otherwise you cannot see video, music or photos with DLNA in a good looking and usable way.
So it seems that, by new design, the Qnap embedded DLNA server is a passive interface that can only publish what is organized and configured with the Multimedia Stations Apps. It can no more work "alone".

I have installed Video Station and I created a basic collection and now I can see my videos using DLNA.
I am very happily using Minimserver, after having tried the built-in DNLA, Kazoo, logitech, emby and the last twonky server that was available to qnap-users. MinimServer is quite fast, and has (very)customizable trees. However: no GUI on the QNap, but for several OSes you can download a program to configure minimserver from your desktop. With my older Qnap this one and Logitech media server were the only one capable of dealing with online radiostations as well. Logitech was loaded with options and plugins and has a very ugly GUI. It just depends on your wishes.
TS-221 with SSD Samsung EVO 860 1TB - firmware 4.3.3.0998
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

SandraLou wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:00 am and the last twonky server that was available to qnap-users.

twonky is still available on QNAP .. just not free anymore

http://download.twonky.com/8.5.1/
SandraLou
New here

Post by SandraLou »

yes, good you pointed that out. I meant freely available :).
TS-221 with SSD Samsung EVO 860 1TB - firmware 4.3.3.0998
curiousnas
New here

Post by curiousnas »

thanks for the thread it really is appreciated confirming QNAP have effectively dumbed down DLNA functionality as I've wasted so many days trying to figure out what had happened.

my main concern
I)After any amendment the unit goes off to re-index* the entire NAS which takes hours/a day etc (rebuilding index wastes another day of trying to resolve the issue)
ii) why does it index the whole unit? despite not having access to shares?
iii) why are artists shown from a DLNA player despite ii)
iv) why can you not simply select a folder to share via DLNA without a) installing music manager b) all of the above
v) I bought my unit years ago & twonky was working fine but cannot be used even downloading & installing the 3rd party app as I prefer https access

PS - I'm only interested in music files, flac/mp3/wav etc & organised the whole file structure similar to this as the library is large. Plex or music station cannot fully handle music by folder view in all instances and do not wish to go down that route
share:\flac\genre\alphaA-L\artist\album\ share:\mp3\genre\alphaA-L\artist\album\

so Music Station is needed to be installed to get some control of what the unit is capable of showing* (waiting a day or so to see the result) - even selecting a single folder with 1 album, the unit re-indexes "everything" yawn.
The Artist view still shows thousands although these are not selected on the Music Station folders, I've since tried changing folder permissions, which account music station can use, added guest read only to a folder(s) / create a brand new share etc etc… even moving huge shares so the index would not find the files to speed up the re-index to remove previously discussed items & index a single album.

it looks like its time to power up a NAS from another supplier & stream music
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

or just use any 3rd party app

Plex
DLNA (twonky,emby,etc)
etc.
kallek
Starting out

Post by kallek »

I have the same problem with new files not showing when using DLNA. I installed Video Station and choose my movie folder in Category Settings. In multimedia Console/content management can see the movie folder when I choose DLNA but it says videos: 0. Tried to make a collection in Video Station, but video station says the collection is empty and that I should upload or drag and drop files to the collection. I don't understand the reason for this or were I should drag and drop the files from. I just want all the files from the multimedia share to be visible via dlna like before. Is there a guide for this?
fipomat
First post

Post by fipomat »

Hello, after update I have the same problem as your.s Now it's working.

What I do:

- install Video Station,
- in Multimedia Console I have new option Video Station
- after that I reindex files on QNAP
- work's great again :)
kallek
Starting out

Post by kallek »

fipomat wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 pm Hello, after update I have the same problem as your.s Now it's working.

What I do:

- install Video Station,
I did this and got it working with video files. Guess I have to install photo station and music station to be able to see photos and music.

After installing video station and doing a reindex I got another problem though. Now I have constant disk activity and I can see in the resource monitor that Multimedia Console and ffmpeg takes up around 6% cpu each. The reindexing is is finished and I have disabled thumbnails, so I don't know what is going on. Guess I have to wait and see if it goes away after a while.
curiousnas
New here

Post by curiousnas »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:59 pm or just use any 3rd party app

Plex
DLNA (twonky,emby,etc)
etc.
I'm up & running on my other brand of NAS.
DLNA was working fine on the folders i'd selected individually before the "media console" was used - seems a shame to over complicate things now.
the unit is constant reindexing & thrashing the disks + it takes hours.
it indexes all media types which I only want audio

Plex & many other 3rd party apps have limitations on the folder view on certain media players & not true dlna as I need to view the underlying folder structure
Twonky does not work since many updates ago & seems to want to connect to a http (not https) & the unit is set not to allow insecure connections.
hlpbob007
Starting out

Post by hlpbob007 »

fipomat wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 pm Hello, after update I have the same problem as your.s Now it's working.

What I do:

- install Video Station,
Hi,
i had exactly the same problem as the 1st commenter (i saw only folders and no files) After reading thru this (before i buy or install any additional DLNA service like Twonky or such) i thought i gave a try to fipomat's advice. So far it worked fine. I see now the files, but i cannot play them :twisted: :twisted:

I am only talking about video files (i am not interested in music or photo). I followed the steps above and now i am one step closer but still unable to play the files (mkv and avi) on Samsung UE55RU7099. When i insert the same file on USB stick TV plays without any problem, therefore i am still thinking something in the QNAP is not correct. I also tried on 2 phones, 2 PCs and another TV, all haveing the same phenomenon.

Have any of you were in similar situation? Maybe I am missing something during the setup of the DLNA?
Does any of you have any advice where shall I start look if i have this strange situation? I gave a bunch of try in Google, but I am not going thru :(

And I am not looking for a shiny cover blown system (like Plex, etc...) just want to see my Folder structure and play the files :) :) so nothing fany, just the files in the folders and the possibility to play them.

Many thanks for your help!

PS: I have a QNAP TS-431 with QTS 4.4.1.1101.
hlpbob007
Starting out

Post by hlpbob007 »

hlpbob007 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm

What I do:

- install Video Station,
Hi,
i had exactly the same problem as the 1st commenter (i saw only folders and no files) After reading thru this (before i buy or install any additional DLNA service like Twonky or such) i thought i gave a try to fipomat's advice. So far it worked fine. I see now the files, but i cannot play them :twisted: :twisted:

I am only talking about video files (i am not interested in music or photo). I followed the steps above and now i am one step closer but still unable to play the files (mkv and avi) on Samsung UE55RU7099. When i insert the same file on USB stick TV plays without any problem, therefore i am still thinking something in the QNAP is not correct. I also tried on 2 phones, 2 PCs and another TV, all haveing the same phenomenon.

Have any of you were in similar situation? Maybe I am missing something during the setup of the DLNA?
Does any of you have any advice where shall I start look if i have this strange situation? I gave a bunch of try in Google, but I am not going thru :(

And I am not looking for a shiny cover blown system (like Plex, etc...) just want to see my Folder structure and play the files :) :) so nothing fany, just the files in the folders and the possibility to play them.

Many thanks for your help!

PS: I have a QNAP TS-431 with QTS 4.4.1.1101.

After >30 restarts, more than enough rescans, 48 hours hard time I gave up and installed Twonky. Anybody who has the same issue. Leave Q DLNA behind and install simply Twonky... it works immediate. no more error. I am also thinking of "Emby" but I think i just simply pay the 20 USD license fee and that's it :)
pmsrodrigues
Starting out

Post by pmsrodrigues »

Was also hit by this, and this thread helped me. Thank you to all, btw.

As I've already said on another thread about yet another crapification of the QNAP OS from recent updates, and as someone with large experience of both brands, it goes to prove my suspicion that QNAP may be better in the business arena, but is beaten by Synology at home, where it is a f*** up and is only getting worse. This issue, for example, result of layers upon layers of services and apps being sewn together, creating dependency hell, and is just an example.

In the end it's the bugs it creates, the bloat, the performance hit. My main QNAP home NAS (I have three) has 16GB of ram. Yet the unit is constantly trashing the disks, memory is overrun, and loading any app stresses the CPU and is slow as molasses. And that is when the apps don't die on you. Bugs are everywhere. Just in the last 24h, Cloud Drive sync stopping syncing needing to be restarted. Download manager app stopped updating. And the app center crashed. Twice. No, it's not the hardware. It happens on the other units I have.

Well, sorry for the rant. But this is how it is. Again, thank you all that went through the pain first, and documented the issue, thereby saving my, and countless others, time.

/Pedro
pmsrodrigues
Starting out

Post by pmsrodrigues »

Oh and a little warning to those that had to install the Video station to get DLNA working and everything fully indexed again. Video Station by default will try to identify video files while indexing. So, if you depend on the filenames of the video files for sorting by episode or series, you are in for a treat. No more will you get "MWC [01x08] The Poker Game.avi" (yes, I love Married with Children. Don't judge. :D ). It will be renamed to The Poker Game and the DLNA client will probably sort the entire folder alphabetically.

/Pedro
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

pmsrodrigues wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 pm Oh and a little warning to those that had to install the Video station to get DLNA working and everything fully indexed again. Video Station by default will try to identify video files while indexing. So, if you depend on the filenames of the video files for sorting by episode or series, you are in for a treat. No more will you get "MWC [01x08] The Poker Game.avi" (yes, I love Married with Children. Don't judge. :D ). It will be renamed to The Poker Game and the DLNA client will probably sort the entire folder alphabetically.
By default, the QNAP DLNA will use the "title" field from the Info in Video Station for the names of the programme and yes, they will be sorted alphabetically.
You can therefore edit the video station so that the names you want appear on the DLNA listing.
Alternatively, you can simply go to the Media Streaming Add-On Browsing Settings and change the behaviour from "embedded information" to "filename" if that is what you want to use.

I have a problem at the moment where a Samsung TV will browse the DLNA server but if you try and access any folder it simply says something about the action not being supported and kicks you right back to the TV menu screen. (Other systems work exactly as before and therefore as expected however!)
I have discovered that Twonky browses no problem but it completely ignores all the "embedded information" in Video Station but does seem to read the title tags from the files themselves. If you then edit the title tag on the file so that Twonky reads what you want, it seems to remove and overwrite the information that was previously working perfectly in both video station and DLNA.
This is at best frustrating especially since I have yet to work out a solution and it has taken quite a long time already.

Return to “Media Streaming”