"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Celser
New here

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Celser »

So which MOFSET do I need to jumper?, Nothing on back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

check with a fine tip probe for continuity (voltmeter)
when you found the mosfet that supplies the power to the power connector, of your failed port, then you found the mosfet in question
Shmal
New here

Post by Shmal »

Celser wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:17 am So which MOFSET do I need to jumper?, Nothing on back.
Dolbyman is right, since it is a completely different board you’ll have to trace the connections to verify. Based on the picture I would guess it is one of the two chips in the bottom right. Google the number printed on the chip for the pinouts/datasheet, verify they are mosfets and then see if the drain pins connect to the power pins on the sata connection.

Sata power pins are in groups of 3 (again google for exact pinouts). The mosfets pins should connect to the 5v or 12v pins on multiple sata ports.
Celser
New here

Post by Celser »

Ok, I am not a master of electronics like you guys. I have identified my Mosfet. This is like greek to me. I am a good solderer but cannot figure which pins I need to join together. As close as I can figure I have
Drain 1 Drain 1 Drain 2 Drain 2

Source 1 Gate 1 Source 2 Gate 2

As my pins. I enclosed a picture of the paperwork. Anyone want to take an educated guess as to how I need to jump this off ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celser on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kommisar
Starting out

Post by kommisar »

Shmal wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:51 pm Based on Kommisar's post we gave it a shot today and it looks to be working. Disk 3 is on, and raid is rebuilding. If you are going to attempt this on your own boards, read and understand Kommisar's post so you can trace your own board. Verify your problem is identical before trying this solution. Here is what was needed for my specific scenario (disk 3 failure, eventually leading to no power).

For reference, my board is labelled TS-473 BP V1.4 (QY04):
image5.jpeg

The mosfet that seems to be the issue is on the opposite side, and is labelled 4957AGM. Google for pinouts.

image3.jpeg

That IC contains 2 mosfets. Tracing the pins looks like one feeds the 12V sata pins and the other feeds the 5V sata pins (at least for bay 3, other bays may need a different fix). Shorting the source and drain of each will bypass the mosfet and supply power permanently to the sata ports. One or both could be faulty, in my case it looks like only the 5V fix was needed but we did both. You could also just replace the IC with another 4957AGM, although it may still fail again (something caused it to fail originally).

Shorted:
image0.jpeg

Make these changes at your own risk. Modifying a circuit should be your last resort! RMA it if you are not familiar with what is shown here (or don't have a friend who is!).

Might not hurt to ask QNAP support if they will offer up a replacement board for sale (it's an easy enough swap), assuming they have a solution to the fault.

Thanks Kommisar for the diagnostic work!
Shmal, kudos for finishing the quest! Indeed, the simplest, robust and most cost-effective solution is to provide permanent power to the slot by removing the power MOSFET and by soldering jumper wires instead. There is also a number of other options like lo remove control MOSFET and replace it with a resistor or trying to replace the power MOSFET and hope the new one will work longer. But as I mentioned it earlier, simple jumper wire works great in this case and it is really bulletproof.

In generall this NAS is really good and pity it has this issue. I believe most of the devices are out of warranty now and it is safe to share this fix because it will help some people to save a lot of money and avoid unnecessary frustration.

!!!!!!!!!! BUT AGAIN, YOU WILL VOID WARRANTY AND ANY UNAUTHORIZED/UNPROFESSIONAL MODIFICATION CAN DAMAGE YOUR NAS. IT ALSO REQUIRES SOLDERING SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE HOW TO PROPERLY HANDLE DELICATE ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shmal
New here

Post by Shmal »

kommisar wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:42 am Shmal, kudos for finishing the quest! Indeed, the simplest, robust and most cost-effective solution is to provide permanent power to the slot by removing the power MOSFET and by soldering jumper wires instead. There is also a number of other options like lo remove control MOSFET and replace it with a resistor or trying to replace the power MOSFET and hope the new one will work longer. But as I mentioned it earlier, simple jumper wire works great in this case and it is really bulletproof.

In generall this NAS is really good and pity it has this issue. I believe most of the devices are out of warranty now and it is safe to share this fix because it will help some people to save a lot of money and avoid unnecessary frustration.

!!!!!!!!!! BUT AGAIN, YOU WILL VOID WARRANTY AND ANY UNAUTHORIZED/UNPROFESSIONAL MODIFICATION CAN DAMAGE YOUR NAS. IT ALSO REQUIRES SOLDERING SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE HOW TO PROPERLY HANDLE DELICATE ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome back to the thread and thanks for the adventure, it has been fun getting back into hardware!

Your board has heat sinks? Did you add those as part of your fix, or are you on a different revision of the board than my 1.4?
kommisar
Starting out

Post by kommisar »

Shmal wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 am Welcome back to the thread and thanks for the adventure, it has been fun getting back into hardware!

Your board has heat sinks? Did you add those as part of your fix, or are you on a different revision of the board than my 1.4?
Hi Shmal,

I added the heatsinks during the initial troubleshooting of the issue. SATA controller overheating was my first suspect. Didn't help :(, but I kept the heatsinks (even upgraded to a more suitable version) anyway. Better temperature management is always a plus.
Set Shagrat
New here

Post by Set Shagrat »

Hi Kommisar!

I have the same issue with a ts-563 Nas. The disks 4 and 5 dropped down and then try to power on continuously
I wrote to helpdesk and the answer was RMA with a charge of 250USD
My Nas is out of warranty so I decided to try this solution
Can you send me your guide to avoid the problem to scripter.snow @ gmail.com?
Thanks a lot
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no need for email, problem solving was explained earlier in the thread
Set Shagrat
New here

Post by Set Shagrat »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:50 am no need for email, problem solving was explained earlier in the thread
Oh sorry I've skipped some posts
Thanks a lot
dwg42
New here

Post by dwg42 »

way to familiar - just out of warranty, mid october disk 3, 4 & 5 not found on my tvs-873 - with a remote session from qnap it was determined ....

"Thank you for the session today. As it turns out, your back plane is defective. We have this part for repair out of warranty. The cost will be $590."

it seems i have 3 options, repair without warranty, a new nas with a $1200 loss and additional cost of whatever nas i pick, or fix it myself(probably not a good idea). i have asked qnap about a 4th option but days later no answer, maybe some one on this forum can answer if this $200 option would work.

if i buy a "QNAP TR-004 4-Bay USB 3.0 RAID Expansion Enclosure" ($199 ) will this allow me to get to my data and utilize the "tvs 873" and operate normally?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

TR-004 wont work
Follow migration options for new NAS
https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration/?source=tvs-873
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

or read this thread and try the hardware fix
MagicStuff
New here

Post by MagicStuff »

Hi,

I'm french and will make an effort to be understandable.

I have read the Komissar's post and now I have my TS-431 fully functional.
Here the fix for this model.

My problem was on the 4th bay with the "Disk unplugged" error several times by minute.

To confirm my problem, I have powered the 4th disk with external PSU like this :
20191105_213604.jpg
20191105_213614.jpg
With this mounting, all is OK. So it's a power default like explained by Komissar.

My back plane with the MOSFET of the third and fourth bay in red circle:
20191105_224102.jpg
The MOSFET is a NTMD6P02 : https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NTMD6P02R2-D.PDF

With a multimeter, the document above and a documentation about SATA power, my conclusion is :
- D1 S1 G1 is for the 12V
- D2 S2 G2 is for the 5v

Si, I maked short circuits between D1 and S1, S2 and S2 to inhibt the MOSFET.
Trick : there is two drain (D1 and D1) and (D2 and D2). So, you can choose any drain or overflow with tin between D1 and D1 or D2 and D2 it's not a problem.
My soldering iron is not thight so my welds are not very ** but functional :)
20191106_211312.jpg
The backplane in place :
20191106_211449.jpg
Thanks for the trick. My NAS was shutdown for 2 years because of this default.

I'm open to questions about this model if necessary.

Thanks !

Sylvain (from France)
MagicStuff
New here

Post by MagicStuff »

(same post above but in French for French users those who don't speak eng/us)

Salut,

j'ai suivi le tuto de Komissar et j'ai maintenance mon TS-431 parfaitement fonctionnel.
ci-dessous le correctif pour ce modèle.

Mon probleme était sur le quatrième slot avec l'erreur "Disk unplugged" qui apparaissait sans arrêt.

Pour confirmer l'origine du problème, j'ai alimenté mon 4eme disque avec une alimentation externe, comme ceci :
20191105_213604.jpg
20191105_213614.jpg
Avec ce montage, tout est OK. Donc le problème est bien sur l'alimentation SATA comme le modele de Komissar

Mon fond de panier avec le MOSFET des 3eme et 4eme slots entourés dans un cercle rouge :
20191105_224102.jpg
Le mosfet est un NTMD6P02 : https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NTMD6P02R2-D.PDF

Avec un multimetre, la doc du MOSFET et la documentation présentant l'alimentation d'un port SATA, nous avons :
- D1 S1 G1 pour l'alim du 12V
- D2 S2 G2 pour l'alim du 5V

J'ai donc courcuité D1 avec S1 et D2 avec S2 afin d'inhiber le fonctionnement du MOSFET.
Astuce : il y a deux drains (deux D1 et deux D2). Donc, si votre soudure bave entre les deux D1 ou les deux D2 rien de catastrophique, cela marchera quand même.
Mon fer à souder était gros donc mes soudures sont loin d'être ** mais fonctionnelles :)
20191106_211312.jpg
Le fond de panier remis en place :
20191106_211449.jpg
Merci à ce forum pour l'astuce facilement adaptable à un autre modèle. Mon NAS était au placard depuis 2 ans à cause de ce problème.
Je suis ouvert aux questions si besoin.

Merci !

Sylvain (from France)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”