Only one item is displayed on the Shared Folder

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
abbas.naqvi
New here

Only one item is displayed on the Shared Folder

Post by abbas.naqvi »

Hello everyone,

I have a QNAP configured as a simple NAS unit on my network. I have configured users, shared folders and access permissions for each user and the folders.

The problem is with one of the computers on the network. I have created and configured 3 folders on the QNAP to be accessed on computers (let’s call them comp1 and comp2) with Read/Write permissions. Comp1 and Comp2 use the same credentials to access the shared folders. The folders are called Public, Maintenance and Planners.

One day all of a sudden Comp1 stopped displaying the files on the Planners folder. It would only display one of folders while there is more than 100 folders and files in there. Comp1 has this issue only with the Planners folder, the other 2 folders are fine. Comp2 can access all the folders including the Planners folder with no problems at all.

I have tried the below without any success:
1) Removed and added again Planners Folder on Comp1 – Still the same.
2) Tried with a new set of credentials on Comp1 – Still the same.
3) Deleted the folder from Comp1, removed the saved credentials from Credential Manager, restarted Comp1 and added the Shared folder from scratch – Still the same.
4) Tried accessing the Planners folder on Comp1 using the Super User Account – Still the same
5) Configured Planners Folder on a 3rd computer was able to access all the files using the same credentials as on Comp1.
6) All firewall/Anti-virus configurations are correct and identical on all network computers.
7) Comp1 is able to access all the Network resource (Folders, Servers, Scanners) and also connect to the Internet without any problems.

All the computers are running Windows OS. Comp1 is windows 7 Pro and Comp2 is Windows 10 pro. All windows and driver updates are up to date.

I would be more than thankful if someone could guide me to a solution to this strange problem.

Thank you in advance,
A2
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Only one item is displayed on the Shared Folder

Post by storageman »

So just local users? No domain/LDAP?
If you login with admin user does it see all the shares?
abbas.naqvi
New here

Post by abbas.naqvi »

Yes. No Local User No Domain No LDAP.

I did try login in with the Admin user, still the same issue. strangely, this user can access any folder on the NAS from Comp1 when given access permission to other files but it is only the Planner's folder that he is not able to view the file and that also only from comp1.
The same user can access all the files on planners folder from comp2 or any other computer over the network.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

And creating a new user and with rights to Planner, what happens then when login from Comp1?
abbas.naqvi
New here

Post by abbas.naqvi »

Even with the new username, still the same issue.

But this is fresh, I have just seen it now. All of a sudden, yesterday I was able to see all the folders and file in Planners folder in Comp1 but today morning...pufff they are all gone again!!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Bizarre, could be SMB is corrupt.

I'd try created a new folder "Planners2" and move everything there and try again.!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

what firmware (version and build number) are you using on the unknown NAS
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
abbas.naqvi
New here

Post by abbas.naqvi »

storageman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:38 pm Bizarre, could be SMB is corrupt.

I'd try created a new folder "Planners2" and move everything there and try again.!
Hello! Sorry for the late reply.
I have actually done that. I have created a folder called Planners2, copied all the files from Planners and then configured all the required permissions to the users. This is working without any issues!
abbas.naqvi
New here

Post by abbas.naqvi »

Toxic17 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 pm what firmware (version and build number) are you using on the unknown NAS
It is a QNAP TS-653A
Current firmware version 4.2.1
abbas.naqvi
New here

Post by abbas.naqvi »

I have managed to resolve this issue.
After doing a thorough troubleshooting across the network, I found out that a user had accidentally created a loop on the network by connecting a cable between two unmanageable switches. Soon after disconnected the cable, all the Shared Folders showed up.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

firmware 4.2.1 is also years old..check into updating

Return to “NAS Management”