External HDD's for TS-119

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
cosmicp
Starting out

External HDD's for TS-119

Post by cosmicp »

I've tried to search in the forum and the doc's, but I'm still somewhat confused regarding HDD compatibility for my TS-119.
Do I assume correctly that the HDD compatibility list refers to both internal and external disks?
Is it correct that I can't use a 2.5" external disk?
Does the NAS support disks which receives its power supply only from the USB cable? That is, can the NAS supply enough power to the disk?

Best,
Per
cosmicp
Starting out

Re: External HDD's for TS-119

Post by cosmicp »

Additional info:
In the manual M_Turbo NAS hardware manual from year 2010, it says that 2.5-inch SATA HDD is NOT supported in model TS-119.

BUT
On https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... category=4, Recommended External Storage Device for TS-119, this 2.5" external disk is listed:
Seagate ExpansionProtable 2TB (STEA2000400) USB3.0

This 2.5" disk is power supplied only through the USB 3.0 cable.

I'm utterly interested to know how to interpret this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ports on that nas a regular usb 2.0, they do supply power and the nas does not know if it is 3.5,2.5 or solid state

you are way overthinking this, just get an external drive and plug it in
cosmicp
Starting out

Post by cosmicp »

Thanks dolbyman for trustful response. Yes, I may be overthinking this, but I felt concerned over the statement in the manual regarding 2.5" disks.

Besides, I recently got somewhat burned, buying a Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 3.5 disk and intended to place it in an existing external case I have, which had housed an old 1TB SATA disk which had died. It didn't work. The disk, attached internally in my computer, worked fine, but not as external disk mounted in the case. Obviously the interface in the case was too old (>10 years) for this new disk. Anyway, a new Seagate Expansion Harddisk STEA2000400 2TB USB 3.0 2.5" is now on its way...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have 8TB backup drives attached to my 419p+

they work fine
cosmicp
Starting out

Post by cosmicp »

An issue related to this...
I just moved a new Seagate 4TB SATA disk (ST4000VM000) to an FreeAgent external case (7 years old - a different case than the one I mentioned in my previous posts) (yes, I'm fuzzing with a lot of disks right now...).
Lo and behold: also this disk refuses to work with the FreeAgent case. What is this? Too old cases for new disks? Coded board in case for only certain disks? The previous disk in this case was a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda LP SATA disk. So I use same brand, but still doesn't work. I'm puzzled.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

depends to the sata to usb controller chip if it supports drives of given size
albumman
Easy as a breeze

Post by albumman »

I use WD 2TB Passport drives connected to the rear USB3 ports and work flawlessly on my old TS-212P. Not sure if your 119 has similar hardware.
TS-212P QTS: 4.3.3.1864 build 20211212
2 x Seagate ST3000VN000 (RAID 1)
cosmicp
Starting out

Post by cosmicp »

dolbyman - It seems like that. So I thought then that instead mounting the new smaller Seagate 1TB SATA disk in the old FreeAgent external case, which previously hold a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda LP SATA disk, would work. It did. So now it serves as a replacement external USB disk instead of the internal disk in the LG DVD recorder which got fried - yes, literally; half of the power contacs on the disk were burnt, as well as some areas on the disk board and the metal disk carrier. Interesting. But the system board in the player was saved so now the player is alive again.
cosmicp
Starting out

Post by cosmicp »

albumman -Unfortunately, the TS-119 has only USB 2.0 ports. So I would prefer using a SATA disk via the eSATA port. Only, external disks with eSATA are virtrually impossible to find any longer (at least in Sweden), as USB 3 is almost as fast, and saeeminly a cheaper interface. So I guess I have to buy a separate enclosure with eSATA - those are still on the market.
albumman
Easy as a breeze

Post by albumman »

cosmicp wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:01 pm albumman -Unfortunately, the TS-119 has only USB 2.0 ports. So I would prefer using a SATA disk via the eSATA port. Only, external disks with eSATA are virtrually impossible to find any longer (at least in Sweden), as USB 3 is almost as fast, and saeeminly a cheaper interface. So I guess I have to buy a separate enclosure with eSATA - those are still on the market.
Another solution that I forgot about, and used to use, is a dock like this. Makes it easy to snap in various drives without an enclosure.
IMG_1352.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-212P QTS: 4.3.3.1864 build 20211212
2 x Seagate ST3000VN000 (RAID 1)
cosmicp
Starting out

Post by cosmicp »

Yes, I noticed those. Don't know why, but it feels a bit... vulnerable.
I believe I found what I looked for though:
https://www.computersalg.se/i/108611/fa ... #specsarea
OR
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantec-1479-DB ... =1-58&th=1
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

in my experience..usb 2.0 vs esata makes not much difference on x19 units...the processor limits the speed so much that the speed gain is marginal at best
cosmicp
Starting out

Post by cosmicp »

dolbyman - Is that true... Hmmmmpff. Well, for now the TS-119 serves our needs here, but who knows - in future I may swap to a more speedy monster... I notice there are quite a few QNAP NAS models. Will have a glance at them.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”